about to pull the trigger, nonrefundable deposit

Zooterz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
i have 2 dealerships that are saying they will do MSRP on a 2024 supra. one wants a $500 refundable deposit and the other one wants a $1000 nonrefundable deposit.

dealership #1 has only sent me a screen shot from the toyota website of the build/pricing and has stated they will do MSRP

dealer #2 that wants the nonrefundable deposit sent me this "proposal" for me to sign and date, and said they usually get their allocations in around 90 days.
1706484995948.png

whats the better option? im leaning towards dealer #2 but i dont want to get scammed out of $1000

am new plz help
Sponsored

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
Did you specify one or more color choices? When does dealership #1 expect to get an allocation? What color is the one they're expecting?

I don't like non-refundable deposits because sometimes manufacturers (like Lotus) will raise the MSRP by thousands of dollars. That's one of the reasons I was glad my $3000 deposit on an Emira was fully refunded.

OP
OP
Zooterz

Zooterz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Did you specify one or more color choices? When does dealership #1 expect to get an allocation? What color is the one they're expecting?

I don't like non-refundable deposits because sometimes manufacturers (like Lotus) will raise the MSRP by thousands of dollars. That's one of the reasons I was glad my $3000 deposit on an Emira was fully refunded.
dealer #1 i told them i would take any color besides red and they said i would be in it by the end of the year, they said they would expect the car to be white.

dealer #2 i asked for black only and they said 90 days.

i dont like non refundable deposits either but the guy has been pretty up front, even offered me nitrogen in my tires for only $250

OP
OP
Zooterz

Zooterz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Tell the nitrogen tire guy to take a hike.
lol he offered the whole package not just the nitrogen. i really wanna go with them because theyre the only ones to sent me a sheet with an actual price on it.

gonna tell him i dont want any add ons, no tints, PPF, nitrogen or anything of that sort. if they cant honor that and get it in writing ill kick rocks

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
lol he offered the whole package not just the nitrogen. i really wanna go with them because theyre the only ones to sent me a sheet with an actual price on it.

gonna tell him i dont want any add ons, no tints, PPF, nitrogen or anything of that sort. if they cant honor that and get it in writing ill kick rocks
For the most part, the options listed on my car's window sticker were part of the package. I did get the dealership to swap out the red Supra badge in the rear with a much higher contrast black one, yet I was not given back the $140 for that red badge option. Other add-ons were a safety kit for $25 and the carbon fiber caps for the sideview mirrors.

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT
Do not pay a non refundable deposit without knowing exactly when you'll get the car. That is just holding your money hostage and keeps you from shopping around.
This.

Any dealer saying they know when they will get one is lying.

Toyota gives allocations every 2 weeks. Thereā€™s no way a dealer knows what they are getting until it comes out.

Iā€™ve been on a wait list for 9 months and only moved up one spot.

OP
OP
Zooterz

Zooterz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
This.

Any dealer saying they know when they will get one is lying.

Toyota gives allocations every 2 weeks. Thereā€™s no way a dealer knows what they are getting until it comes out.
they seem to think theyll have a supra on the lot in the next 90 days, even i though that was a lie but i want to believe it

looks like ill call dealership #1 in the morning and see if we can move on with the process.

id name the dealerships but i dont want to get sniped , will shout both of them out once i sign some papers

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
We all say dealer number one. You seem to be determined to stick with dealer number two. Sounds like your choice has been made from the beginning. Good luck, dude! šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ¤˜šŸ¼

OP
OP
Zooterz

Zooterz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
We all say dealer number one. You seem to be determined to stick with dealer number two. Sounds like your choice has been made from the beginning. Good luck, dude! šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ¤˜šŸ¼
I really wanted too but you are all more experienced than me so Iā€™m gonna go with dealer #1 in the morning

MSport

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
i have 2 dealerships that are saying they will do MSRP on a 2024 supra. one wants a $500 refundable deposit and the other one wants a $1000 nonrefundable deposit.

dealership #1 has only sent me a screen shot from the toyota website of the build/pricing and has stated they will do MSRP

dealer #2 that wants the nonrefundable deposit sent me this "proposal" for me to sign and date, and said they usually get their allocations in around 90 days.
1706484995948.png

whats the better option? im leaning towards dealer #2 but i dont want to get scammed out of $1000

am new plz help
I worked for a dealership that did $500 refundable and I was always glad. To me it would be hard to tell a customer they werenā€™t allowed to change their mind. Iā€™d go with the $500 refundable simply because they deserve the business.

OP
OP
Zooterz

Zooterz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I worked for a dealership that did $500 refundable and I was always glad. To me it would be hard to tell a customer they werenā€™t allowed to change their mind. Iā€™d go with the $500 refundable simply because they deserve the business.
yeah it doesnā€™t sit right with me that they wonā€™t refund and they have already shoved add ons in my face

e_iva

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 3.0 Premium
I'm not familiar with the law where you are @Zooterz but in some states, deposits must be refundable by law. They can say they're nonrefundable all they want, but may have to refund a deposit if push comes to shove.

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
We switched to non refundable deposits after Covid because people would place 5/6 deposits and just buy at the 1st dealership that got one. I used to love the look on peopleā€™s faces when I told them itā€™s non refundable, it was like calling a bluff in pokerā€¦Do business with the better dealershipā€¦refundable/non refundable doesnā€™t really matter if the people are dirtbagsā€¦
Sponsored