All-New 2022 Subaru BRZ Makes Global Debut

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
It's a bit more muscular, thanks to the fenders.

A few bits looked like they're just carried over - steering wheel, shift knob, brake handle...

I hope the HU is decent because it doesn't look like it can be easily replaced with anything aftermarket.

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 1995 E36 M3
I actually like the look!

Sorta disappointed they didn’t put a turbo in it. An extra 20 something horsepower isn’t exactly an astronomical jump considering minivans and econoboxes make more power. Fingers crossed they will badge a model with STI/ GR, but people were hopeful for the first generation and they’re still waiting until now lol

SupraBC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 2.0
As a current Scion FR-S owner, I'm a bit disappointed with the exterior, especially the rear. I prefer the looks of the current generation, the Scion/Toyota even more so than the Subaru. It's losing some of its aggressive looks imo. The interior does look a bit better though.

I'm supposed to take delivery of a Supra 2.0 in just a matter of days and after seeing the 2022 BRZ, there's no doubt in my mind going for the 255hp Supra was the right choice for me in terms of an upgrade.

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
As a current Scion FR-S owner, I'm a bit disappointed with the exterior, especially the rear. I prefer the looks of the current generation, the Scion/Toyota even more so than the Subaru. It's losing some of its aggressive looks imo. The interior does look a bit better though.

I'm supposed to take delivery of a Supra 2.0 in just a matter of days and after seeing the 2022 BRZ, there's no doubt in my mind going for the 255hp Supra was the right choice for me in terms of an upgrade.
I came from a 2015 BRZ. Honestly, the iDrive system and the rest of the technology in the Supra is worth more than the HP increase. The BRZ feels so budget (which it is) compared to the technology in the Supra. You'll be very happy with your decision.

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

I think the quality and the tune-ability of the 4 cylinder Supra (turbo equipped) makes it the better choice among the two.

When I think of entry level sports car I think Miata, BRZ, and Civic SI. The Supra is a good notch above that!

Last edited:

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I love the current generation but I think I might like the second generation as well. To be fair though it's not like there are many competitors to this recipe other than the Miata.

I'd like to hear about the Performance Package and continued availability of four-corner Brembo brakes from the factory.

We all more or less knew it would get the non-turbo 2.4L FA24 engine but here's hoping it has better midrange and does very well into high RPMs. I'd have loved a 250hp turbo BRZ/GR86 but for me it's the overall package being improved that I like.

It does concern me in the larger picture however that Subaru and Toyota's decision to go 2.4L makes this car a harder sell or no-sell in some markets. A 2.0L or smaller engine has been pretty standard for a car like this for a long time due to tax brackets in some countries. I wonder if they considered their 1.8L turbo boxer with a tune on it to go well above 200hp and then spread that cost around by using it in other Subaru models.

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I love the current generation but I think I might like the second generation as well. To be fair though it's not like there are many competitors to this recipe other than the Miata.

I'd like to hear about the Performance Package and continued availability of four-corner Brembo brakes from the factory.

We all more or less knew it would get the non-turbo 2.4L FA24 engine but here's hoping it has better midrange and does very well into high RPMs. I'd have loved a 250hp turbo BRZ/GR86 but for me it's the overall package being improved that I like.

It does concern me in the larger picture however that Subaru and Toyota's decision to go 2.4L makes this car a harder sell or no-sell in some markets. A 2.0L or smaller engine has been pretty standard for a car like this for a long time due to tax brackets in some countries. I wonder if they considered their 1.8L turbo boxer with a tune on it to go well above 200hp and then spread that cost around by using it in other Subaru models.
I would assume the performance package would be upgraded brakes, suspension components, and possibly aero. I think drivetrain wise, there won’t be very many changes with respect to power.

It’s interesting to see where this slots, especially in Toyota’s lineup.

228hp 4cyl 86 30kish
255hp 4cyl Supra 43kish
268hp 3cyl GR Corolla (presumable) 38kish
382hp 6cyl Supra. 52kish

This lineup looks pretty solid, it’s the pricing that’s throwing me off ?
Sponsored