All-new 2023 Nissan Z makes world debut!

SpeedRacer

First Name
AP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I am a car nut and listened to whole thing.

Lots of subtle slams against the Z and its demographic.
I am sure a lot of those same subtle facts went right over said demographics heads
But

He thinks a lot of Z are going to be on CoPart in short order.
Lots of power- lots of bang for the buck but not refined.
Tons of hidden nannies and "protection built in"
(I cant decide if Nissan is protecting the car from abuse or the demographic from itself)

-Cuts boost immediately if you touch brake
-will NOT let you do a burn out
-cuts power BEFORE AND AFTER redline so there is no hard limit ie- bang bang bang It sort of see saws more gently up and down
-speed limiters are for antiquated aerodynamics- let wanted the look more that they wanted great aero
-may be 80% new parts but he said lots of old parts- just updated and stamped with new numbers.
-he could really tell that the Nissan engineers and ECU programmers do NOT have the same budget as BMW
-Clutch and ECU are set to only allow boost when clutch is FULLY released. i mean 100% ??? (really trying to protect something)

on and on and on

Mercedes designed Auto is slow
Same here on listening to the whole thing.

I played it in the background while keeping my office door closed and working on things that need to get done but aren't exciting.

It convinced me that I shouldn't consider trading in my MKV for a Z anytime soon. 😁
Sponsored

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Same here on listening to the whole thing.

I played it in the background while keeping my office door closed and working on things that need to get done but aren't exciting.

It convinced me that I shouldn't consider trading in my MKV for a Z anytime soon. 😁
Now a minivan on the other hand… with those seats…

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
I am sure a lot of those same subtle facts went right over said demographics heads
Some of the more level-headed folks are starting to reconsider, but there's plenty of people there with their heads in the sand about the Camissa review like it doesn't matter (it does) or banging the same old drum of "not a real Supra/it's a BMW" or "it's not reliable".

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Bargain at over 40k US$ plus taxes etc. No.

Bargain is a GT86 or BRZ. Sportscar that is not over 40k. Nice handling and fun performance. The Z is a pig in weight and old in tech. Sorry its actually a terrible bargain in terms of development and tech. Thats OK for Nissan's bottom line and no one else's. They can say they made a Z. The next one if it comes will be hybrid or E...............maybe.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
Bargain is a GT86 or BRZ. Sportscar that is not over 40k. Nice handling and fun performance. The Z is a pig in weight and old in tech. Sorry its actually a terrible bargain in terms of development and tech. Thats OK for Nissan's bottom line and no one else's. They can say they made a Z. The next one if it comes will be hybrid or E...............maybe.
In the Carmudgeon video, Cammisa said the GT86 is way more fun than the Z. His subtle conclusion was: the Z is a nice car, the Supra is a high bar.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Bargain at over 40k US$ plus taxes etc. No.

It's not a "bargain" like with the Mustang etc., but for an import, I don't think it's outrageously priced either. Like I said in the sport Z vs 2.0 thread, with the current market and inflation I don't think $40k for a base Z is crazy. Now $50k for a performance Z, well that's a whole nother story.

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
The base $40k Z fits inbetween the $30k 86/BRZ and $50k 3.0 Supra. Not sure what people were expecting...

On the other point, yeah $50k for the top trim is going to be a hard pass for me.