AT & MT Feedback Needed

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I haven't driven an A90. Keeping in mind US prices are the lowest of any market... in Au, the base supra is $83,000 AUD. The premium is $93,000.

If a MT was available, I'd prefer it.

BUT

I couldn't afford a premium model new. Barely a base.

If MT was on premium, I'd have to wait until used.
Sponsored

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I haven't driven an A90. Keeping in mind US prices are the lowest of any market... in Au, the base supra is $83,000 AUD. The premium is $93,000.

If a MT was available, I'd prefer it.

BUT

I couldn't afford a premium model new. Barely a base.

If MT was on premium, I'd have to wait until used.
Canada is lower I think. After exchange rate I paid just under 52000 usd for a fully loaded premium.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
Given that Toyota did not offer a MT was instant deal breaker for many. So without a doubt, Toyota should offer at MT.

AT is usually the premium over MT so why does it have to be offered on the Premium level?

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Given that Toyota did not offer a MT was instant deal breaker for many. So without a doubt, Toyota should offer at MT.

AT is usually the premium over MT so why does it have to be offered on the Premium level?
My thoughts exactly!! It should be offered on both the 3.0 and the 3.0 Premium! Both make solid business cases because people may have different tastes. I haven't driven one yet but I'm blown away by how amazing the automatic is, however the manual would be very welcome.

To answer your question though, since I am someone who likes to have all of the proper (no gimmicks for now please haha) bells and whistles in a car for a multitude of reasons, and if the stick was ONLY offered on the 3.0 Premium, it would be perfect for me haha!

Vaevictum

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Camaro SS, 2012 Corolla

Probably because a low sell rate means they have to charge more to earn their money back on all the time/money invested in making a manual Supra. You need to justify it to the accountants.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My thoughts exactly!! It should be offered on both the 3.0 and the 3.0 Premium! Both make solid business cases because people may have different tastes. I haven't driven one yet but I'm blown away by how amazing the automatic is, however the manual would be very welcome.

To answer your question though, since I am someone who likes to have all of the proper (no gimmicks for now please haha) bells and whistles in a car for a multitude of reasons, and if the stick was ONLY offered on the 3.0 Premium, it would be perfect for me haha!
+1 Yeah, since it's more of 2 parts. Yes to a MT and yes since we(consumer) doesn't have a choice but to pay the premium for a MT even though it doesn't make any sense since the 3.0 Premium consists of this.

• Heated Black leather-trimmed sport seats
  • 12-speaker JBL® 46 HiFi Surround Sound system (500W)
  • 8.8-in. touch-screen with Supra Command featuring touchpad control with navigation, 49 AM/FM, Digital Audio, SiriusXM®, 47 wireless Apple CarPlay® 51 compatible, voice recognition and USB 45/Bluetooth® 58connectivity
  • Qi-compatible wireless smartphone charging 59 tray with light indicator
  • Toyota Supra Connect 52 featuring Emergency Calling, Battery Guard, Remote Control Lock/Ventilation, Real-Time Traffic Information, Map Updates, Concierge Service and Toyota Supra Online (services available online; app available for iOS only)

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Probably because a low sell rate means they have to charge more to earn their money back on all the time/money invested in making a manual Supra. You need to justify it to the accountants.
I doubt they'll make any money back on a lower % selling transmission on an already low volume vehicle.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Yes, even if the ratio of manual MKV release would be around 1:5 to 1:10 vs the ZF automatic versions.

Manual transmission options on many new cars today, and not just today's sports cars, have already become a "premium" option with the exception of special case intended-for-manual small RWD cars like the 86/BRZ and Miata in a totally different price bracket and target market.

So a $4k+ bump or more over a Supra 3.0 Base or Premium makes sense to me and does make the case for the hardcore audience who want the excellent car in manual form.

After all, there will be other Supra MKV variants such as the GRMN and GT4 (and others?? who knows...) and they will have their own special qualities at asking prices much higher than the current Supra 3.0L Base & 3.0L Premium. So for those of us who want a traditional three-pedal manual Supra 3.0L why would the same not apply?

I'd pay extra for the option (+$4k or what have you above the price of a 3.0 Premium) for a factory manual transmission 3.0. That's fine. That would be expected. I have no doubt that Tetsuya Tada would release an excellent setup under such a business case for his special car.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
I think I'm one of the few that said I would take a 4cyl if it were the only way to get a manual. Regardless, if there's a manual model available, that's the one I'll buy, whether that's the top trim or bottom.

Turbro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Strat 3.0 MT, 94 Supra TT 6Spd
Remember when wanting an Auto was always like an extra $2k. I think jeep is still that way. I would totally pay $2k to get a manual option instead, if it helps them justify develpment3 costs

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
One thing to note....a manual option may be near ~100lbs heavier than the ZF auto. For some, that might not matter....but for a small car like the MKV Supra, weight is gold.

Just thought I'd throw that in the discussion.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Increased weight purely from the transmission? That doesn't sound right... planetary arrangements and TC are usually rather heavy (not DCT heavy) but heavier than a good old manual.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Increased weight purely from the transmission? That doesn't sound right... planetary arrangements and TC are usually rather heavy (not DCT heavy) but heavier than a good old manual.
Sorry, I meant with all the supporting hardware (increased gear weight, transmission center sections, etc...). I know in the Subaru community, when people do “STI 6spd Conversions” on their 5MT WRX’s, the overall weight differs by ~100lbs if I'm not mistaken.
Sponsored