Australia - Pricing and Availability Details

Discussion in 'Pricing, Ordering, Negotiating' started by kabnine, Jan 31, 2019.

1. MA617M

MA617M Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    lots
    Liked:
    Engineer
    They won't be 125k

80-100k at best

Camaro and Mustang won't hold a candle to it in handling terms

There's no confirmation of anything local yet, but Toyota Au are interesting in loaning my Supras for an event in April at which the A90 will be unveiled to dealers officially. Hopefully I can know more then

2. Australian of The North

Australian of The North Well-Known Member

First Name:
    ██████[Removed]
    Car(s):
    [Content Restricted],█████,|[Content Restricted]█████
    Liked:
    ██████[Content Restricted]
    #17 Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    [content removed]

3. MA617M

MA617M Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    lots
    Liked:
    Engineer
    Au can't dealer mark-up about RRP any more, which is a plus

Keeping in mind what Toyota Au did for the GT86 - it's 29,990 here

My insiders said between 80-100k, but of late, closer to 100 than 80

4. Red-hat

Red-hat Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Toyota 86
    Liked:
    Lol at $150k. That’s just crazy. That is Cayman S money, and the Cayman is lighter, faster, better looking, and a Porsche! Or if you want Japanese, you can get a Lexus RC-F with a glorious NA V8 for that!

A 335HP Supra with the Z4 running gear and the humble B58 engine (used in the $60k M140i hot hatch and $70k M240i coupe) is in no way worth anything like $150k in a Toyota. It’s worth closer to half of that! Remember, US$50k is the official MSRP in the states, which is AU$70-75k. How on earth does doubling its US price make any sense?

And why would it be more than the Z4, which is a roadster, is faster, and is a proper BMW, with more catchet than a Toyota? Each of those adds $ above a slower Toyota hardtop. No, I don’t believe even Toyota would get it so wrong.

$100k is firming up as my pick, which I think is still $20k too much, but that’s hype and limited availability for you. In any case, anything over $80k and I’m definitely out. I simply can’t justify $100k on a car, when there are other great sportscars around for less.

kabnine likes this.
  5. Red-hat

Car(s):
    Toyota 86
    Liked:
    Don’t be so quick to write them off. With their trick adaptive and magnetic suspensions, and super sticky tyres, they both handle really well now. Camaro in particular is a bit of a track monster and sets impressive lap times, that rival dedicated exotic sportscars costing much more.

Camaro SS for AU$85k will quite likely be quicker round a track than the standard Supra. Lap times aren’t everything, but they matter when you want to over charge for your new sportscar. That’s why I think Supra must be under $100k, and better yet, under $85k. If it is over $100k, I can’t see why you wouldn’t just get a faster, genuine premium sportscar like an M2 Comp, a Lotus, or a Cayman.

6. Red-hat

Car(s):
    Toyota 86
    Liked:
    This is a good point, and I hope they do something similar, in terms of a really competitive price, for Supra.

On the other hand, I was just thinking, an overpriced Supra actually strengthens the business case for the 86 MkII, because there is a huge gap between them and no risk of one cannabilising sales of the other. If the Supra is priced like unobtainium for the average buyer, then having the more affordable, accessible 86 makes a lot more sense as the attainable sportscar! A little ray of sunshine in this doom and gloom about pricing!

7. Snailtrail

Snailtrail New Member

First Name:
    David
    Car(s):
    WRX, Hilux
    Liked:
    $70-$80k for the 6 banger is all its worth - anything more and its a joke and I'm out. Plenty of other choices.
    Will Toyota price it at this? - doubt it very much - prob closer to $100k or just over - and they will prob have plenty of takers at that.
    Toyota has saved, cut corners and shared parts to then charge people a premium price would be an insult.

IMO if they had developed the car from scratch themselves and made the best possible car they could, engineered a 3JZ or whatever motor with 300kws and a proper manual gearbox maybe it would be worth $100k-$120k.

8. Australian of The North

Australian of The North Well-Known Member

First Name:
    ██████[Removed]
    Car(s):
    [Content Restricted],█████,|[Content Restricted]█████
    Liked:
    ██████[Content Restricted]
    #23 Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    [content removed]

9. OP
    OP
    kabnine

kabnine Member

First Name:
    David
    Car(s):
    Supra MKIV RZ-S & SZ, Golf R, MV Augusta Dragster 800
    Liked:
    I have just had word from the dealer that customers will be placing orders direct onilne and the local dealers are just points of pickup. No details as to the how, when or where yet.

10. Red-hat

Car(s):
    Toyota 86
    Liked:
    Couple of quick questions (which you probably don't have answers to): 1) Price? ;) 2) Warranty - will the Supra fall under Toyota's newly extended 5 year warranty scheme? A 5 year Toyota warranty would go some way to alleviating some of my concerns about long term BMW parts reliability with the powertrain.

11. OP
    OP
    kabnine

kabnine Member

First Name:
    David
    Car(s):
    Supra MKIV RZ-S & SZ, Golf R, MV Augusta Dragster 800
    Liked:
    1) No idea. Apparently still to come
    2) Not sure, but I googled it earlier this week and I thought Europe is getting the new 5year warranty, but I can't find it now, so maybe I imagined it?
    3) The gearbox isn't BMW, so not the entire drive train ;)

EDIT: The UK Warranty is actually in a forum post on this site :D

Red-hat likes this.
  12. MA617M

MA617M Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    lots
    Liked:
    Engineer
    FWIW - there's a national dealer conference on April 10. I was contacted by Toyota head office to use my A60, A70 and A80 there with the new A90

I wouldn't be surprised if we know more after then.

(They also changed their mind and didn't go with the older generation Supras :( )

kabnine likes this.
  13. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kirk
    Car(s):
    ?
    Liked:
    https://www.motoring.com.au/toyota-supra-sold-out-117849/

14. Red-hat

Car(s):
    Toyota 86
    Liked:
    #29 Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    That article is confusing. It is not clear that the Supra is formally ‘sold out’ since no allocation method has been mentioned. Are they simply referring to 5,000 ‘registrations of interest?’ Because lots of people including me) register interest, then many decide not to buy when final price and spec is announced. How many of those 5,000 thought they could get into a Supra for $70-80k, only to discover it might be $100k+? I reckon quite a few of those people, me included, will drop out if the price is too high.

kabnine likes this.
  15. MA617M

MA617M Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    lots
    Liked:
    Engineer
    So that puts the A90 between 85K and 125K AUD