Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Ah, I forgot we need to be very specific on this site 🤣
This part is new to me: So post June 2021 ECUs can be used to clone a locked ECU. You end up with two, identical, locked ECUs.
I can then have either one unlocked to run BM3.
So, the only advantage to finding a pre-june 2021 ECU is that you can run different tuning software.
Is that about it?
If so, I will eBay an ECU immediately. All I'm after is flex fuel. This whole testing and mixing to get <E30 business is annoying. Especially since It's just to help the car run a bit cooler. It would be nice to not have to be so exact.

Yes. Yes is the answer haha.
Sponsored

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Sweet. Then I can get an ECU from the same list that the Femto guys are using, but the dates could be anything after 2020, non-MT, I assume?
Yep that sounds right. I plan on doing the same to avoid headaches.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Yep that sounds right. I plan on doing the same to avoid headaches.
It's so on. We need a group buy. 🤣
I had some salvage website that I used, where I was tracking ECUs. I lost the damned URL.
Shouldn't be too hard to start over. Can't wait

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
It's so on. We need a group buy. 🤣
I had some salvage website that I used, where I was tracking ECUs. I lost the damned URL.
Shouldn't be too hard to start over. Can't wait
What I haven't checked yet is if I can get someone to program a factory locked ecu to a specific vin # for less than $300 (difference for the clone process). If you could do that, then you would go through the basic, send one ecu in process, for less.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
It works exactly the same as if you were cloning an unlocked ecu, prices and all. Difference is the ecu is MUCH cheaper to buy.
Except you cannot clone TO a hardware locked ECU, at least that was my most recent understanding.

Edit: This is not actually the case, and I am a big dumb dumb

Last edited:

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Except you cannot clone TO a hardware locked ECU, at least that was my most recent understanding.
Typical zerk not really understanding the ECU situation. Someone should create a website.

Reactions: zrk

D_A_S

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dotekiautosolutions.com
Car(s)
2021 GR
Has this been confirmed that you can load the original stock map to pass CARB?
If you flash the factory map back. It should pass. We tested with a car 8 months ago and it was fine. The new software that the state has can detect the slightest change in coding. We tried modifying two tables. It caught the changes right away.

D_A_S

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dotekiautosolutions.com
Car(s)
2021 GR
What problems have you had with reflex? What hasn't it solved for you? I've leveraged it quite a bit for my use case as a legitimate controller for a lot of car IO. What was it unable to do for you?
It is the lack of responsiveness and the hardware is cheap. If I was smart enough. I could most likely learn some C language and or other, buy the hardware for 10 to 20 dollars on Digikey and make my own controller that worked. It is way too inconsistent. That is the truth. I will not trust a controller that could potentially hurt an engine if it can not even consistently communicate properly or just go dead whenever it decides to. I also know that the transition between PI on and off sucks with the Reflex. It can be so abrupt in High Horsepower cars. That being said. I do not drag or build drag cars. So it makes it that much more important for me and my customers.

Again this is my personal opinion on this unit. When the controller for the PI comes our for BM3. We will all be testing it and figuring out, what it is all about.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra

Edit: This is not actually the case, and I am a big dumb dumb
I actually did my research before posting as this is the route I am going to go.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
If you flash the factory map back. It should pass. We tested with a car 8 months ago and it was fine. The new software that the state has can detect the slightest change in coding. We tried modifying two tables. It caught the changes right away.
Yes, the CVN number will change when any changes are made. You modify one table, CVN changes, modify another, CVN changes.

There are ways to force a CVN that never changes but I wouldn't know anything about that. ;)

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Cool, so looks like I have a game plan. Still ain't gonna be cheap, though. Damn.
1. Buy ECU
2. Buy flex fuel hardware
3. Clone OEM ECU.
4. Send clone for unlock+ BM3
5. Have someone tune FF.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's actually worth it or if I should just stick what I'm doing, since I'm not looking to tune for more horsepower.
I guess if I went through all the trouble May as well get as close to 500whp as I can. 🤷🏼