zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Issue for who? Smog guy?
Yeah. It threw a gnarly code on mine when I put my factory ECU back in at one point. It was some 'drivetrain malfunction. continued driving not possible.' though it drove just fine. I scanned it, and it said something about data mismatch. I swapped ecus back and haven't thought about it since.
Sponsored

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Yeah. It threw a gnarly code on mine when I put my factory ECU back in at one point. It was some 'drivetrain malfunction. continued driving not possible.' though it drove just fine. I scanned it, and it said something about data mismatch. I swapped ecus back and haven't thought about it since.
Well I mean as long as the actual check engine light isnt on and you can get all the readiness monitors to set, it shouldnt matter.

But at the same time, if you were to drive around on the stock ECU for say 100 miles and then plug the clone back in, do you think it would pop up the same error with the clone? If so, that could be a concern.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
But not for power? You know you can run up to E20/25 in the car as is, right?
Correct. I prefer flex fuel so that I don't have to test e85% and do math to figure out how much I need to equal e20-25. I'd rather run pump gas than do all that.
I only run e85 to theoretically keep things cooler, power is a non-issue.
So I'd have to determine if it's important enough, to me, to justify all that $$$$.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Correct. I prefer flex fuel so that I don't have to test e85% and do math to figure out how much I need to equal e20-25. I'd rather run pump gas than do all that.
I only run e85 to theoretically keep things cooler, power is a non-issue.
So I'd have to determine if it's important enough, to me, to justify all that $$$$.
Seems kinda not worth it to haul E85 all over the place and have no power gains for it.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Seems kinda not worth it to haul E85 all over the place and have no power gains for it.

Whatever keeps me out of limp mode in 100° heat. More power would exacerbate the problem. We only get the first three sessions of a day to qualify our hot lap. I can't afford to have anything go wrong.
Carrying fuel isn't much of a problem.

20220731_113115.jpg

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well I mean as long as the actual check engine light isnt on and you can get all the readiness monitors to set, it shouldnt matter.

But at the same time, if you were to drive around on the stock ECU for say 100 miles and then plug the clone back in, do you think it would pop up the same error with the clone? If so, that could be a concern.
CEL was on, it was a code. Not sure if it would go away or something. The BDC and DME are supposed to sync after some time. Idk. I just register in Montana/Wisconsin to avoid smog.

Last edited:

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Whatever keeps me out of limp mode in 100° heat. More power would exacerbate the problem. We only get the first three sessions of a day to qualify our hot lap. I can't afford to have anything go wrong.
Carrying fuel isn't much of a problem.

20220731_113115.jpg
Since the intake temp is measured pre cylinders, that ain't going to help very much, if at all.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Since the intake temp is measured pre cylinders, that ain't going to help very much, if at all.
It pulls power based on IAT vs knock counts, etc? Well that saves me a ton of money.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
CEL was on, it was a code. Not sure if it would go away or something. The BDC and DME are supposed to sync after some time. Idk. I just register in Montana/Wisconsin to avoid smog.
Good to know. Guess I'll cross that path in another 6 years if I still have the car. Worst case, I register it to my AZ address to avoid smog like you.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Good to know. Guess I'll cross that path in another 6 years if I still have the car. Worst case, I register it to my AZ address to avoid smog like you.
It's easier that way, I think.

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
No, I get that, but the people that have been cloning all did Ecutek. They didn't do a clone then go with MHD or BM3. The market for clones was already Ecutek.
.......I did a clone and did MHD...

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
It pulls power based on IAT vs knock counts, etc? Well that saves me a ton of money.
Both. Sometimes independently, sometimes together. There is a table that based on IAT temps, looks up a timing reduction table at a certain percentage.

There is another table that pulls target torque down depending on how much timing is being retarded.

Cutting a hole in your hood and adding a vent would probably do more for this than just running ethanol with no performance tuning
Sponsored