BMW background or just a lover of the supra?

badwolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Soo I know that the new supra gets a lot of shit for being a bmw, my friends have been those people until they tried the car lol. that's what I've noticed professional car review channels and blogs who actually tried the supra had good things to say about it. I want to know everyone's stance on it, does everyone who buy a supra come from a bmw background or are they just lovers of the supra. I know some youtubers who got it because its a bmw Thic Whips being one of them. Also do the old supra owners like the new one or is it a nice bmw to them? lol
It was a bit of a strange journey for me. I and my brothers are die-hard Ford Mustang fans. My first car in high school in 79 was a '66 Mustang coupe. SInce then I've had a 68 FB, a 69 Mach 1, another 66 GT350 replica, a 2008 GT500, a 2010 GT500 and about 2 years ago sold my '17 GT350. However, I have always been a fan of BMW. Owned a 5 series many years ago - one of the best cars I've owned for comfort, travelling ease, etc. Never owned a Supra and did not know anything about them. Only Toyota experience I had was with my wife's '14 Corolla. Fast forward to beginning of this year. I'm 61 and hope to retire next year. Decide to get one more "fun" car for a keeper car. Was looking for another GT350. Then a friend of mine at work purchased a 2022 3.0 Premium. First time I had ever seen one. Didn't really know what it was the first time i saw it in parking lot. I spoke with him about it and he insisted I take it for a test drive. I did - it was a blast. I spent the next FOUR MONTHS agonizing on whether to get another Mustang or go with the Supra. I did a ton of research and for me - one of the biggest factors was that it was a BMW. Now - please don't everyone "start hating on me" please for that revelation :cool: I just wanted to answer the OP truthfully. I don't have anything to say good/bad or indifferent about the previous Supra models. I liked the MKV's looks, performance and bang for the buck. The fact that it was a BMW and my desire to have a "forbidden fling" with another car other than a Mustang pushed me over the edge. There! I said it and I'm happy I said it!!! :)

badwolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Any reason you can come up with. I made the mistake of going to a different Supra forum before this one when I bought my car and it was pretty clear they had no interest in being kind to the MKV. I don't mind when people voice concerns or are critical about cars as long as they are respectful when doing so. Unfortunately, the level of immaturity was off-putting and childish even by internet car forum standards. I would hope that most previous-gen owners are actually decent and not so toxic in person.
Well said!

AP1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR
Soo I know that the new supra gets a lot of shit for being a bmw, my friends have been those people until they tried the car lol. that's what I've noticed professional car review channels and blogs who actually tried the supra had good things to say about it. I want to know everyone's stance on it, does everyone who buy a supra come from a bmw background or are they just lovers of the supra. I know some youtubers who got it because its a bmw Thic Whips being one of them. Also do the old supra owners like the new one or is it a nice bmw to them? lol
For me it was BMW made car (Z4 coupe) for $15000 less than native brand. Though I would prefer to have it serviced by BMW mechanics.

Supramann15

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
My first car was an 88 Supra turbo. Loved Supras before I could even drive as my brother-in-law spoiled me by taking me for a test drive in his 87 turbo Supra.

Always wanted a MKIV but with a young family could never justify owning one. Had friends that had them and was able to drive them. Definitely a great car.

When the MKV came out I was on the fence between the Supra and the RCF. Wanted to do track days so the Supra was the better choice. After owning the MKV for over 3 years, I have to say that’s it’s one of the best cars for the price and performance. I’ve been to the drag strip on one night, autocrossed it the next day and it does great.

I’ve always owned Toyotas and it doesn’t really matter what’s inside. For me the Supra has been about performance and tunability and this this platform is nothing shy of that. Everyone that has driven or ridden in my car always goes home wanting one. I tell people to drive what they enjoy and not worry about what others think. At the end of the day you are enjoying what you like because it’s you.

carguy4ycc

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
(2) '98 Supras TT, '20 Supra Launch Edition, '82 Supra, '91 MR2, '95 Tacoma, '00 Integra Type R, '91 NSX, '94 Celica GT, '21 Supra A91 Refraction Blue
Supra enthusiast.
Toyota lover, BMW hater.
Left with no choice being a Supra lover.
Wish Toyota woulda came out with a true Supra that would have been a "Supercar" even if $100k+. I realize it's all about sales, turning units and making money...hence the Toyota/BMW combo.

Supra No MK4 .jpg

Nugs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 G81 M3 Touring, 2019 Supra GTS
Long term BMW fan. Have had multiple M cars and other BMWs including some with the B58. Was thinking about a M2 Comp and started cross shopping the Supra as I considered it another BMW and ended up loving the size, styling and performance.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
My succession of cars: 94 Supra twin turbo with minor mods, 94 Supra single turbo conversion with 522 whp, 2003 BMW Z4, 2006 Mustang GT, 2009 GT500, 2013 Boss 302, 2016 GT350, 2020 Supra tuned on e50.

TheLJWay

First Name
L.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 GR Supra 3.0 Premium Renaissance Red
Grew up with a family that's always had Toyotas, Hondas, and some VWs in the mix. The MKV honestly opened up my eyes to BMW and being more aware of what they do instead of being some ignorant hater. Always been a fan of the Supra but it was never an absolute dream car. I know this car gets flack from the MKIV fanboys or just Japanese car fans in general, but from announcement I always had an open mind that if Toyota can proudly put their badge and the Supra name on a BMW then there's value in that no matter how much they were involved in the R&D. All my friends have similar tastes in cars too and they were opened to it and after I let them drive my car they were fully on board that this is a solid car with or without the name.

JChan

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Tucson, GR Supra
I had an older model BMW 3-series and loved how it drove, but something broke every time I blinked or farted (heaven forbid I did both at the same time.) Traded that for a Camry TRD and loved it. Then the stars aligned and allowed me to get a two-seater. I personally like that it's a BMW/Toyota. But the main thing for me is body styling. I absolutely LOVE the way this car looks.

BillyLong42

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
I want to know everyone's stance on it, does everyone who buy a supra come from a bmw background or are they just lovers of the supra. I know some youtubers who got it because its a bmw Thic Whips being one of them. Also do the old supra owners like the new one or is it a nice bmw to them? lol
I have owned a few BMWs. I have said for a long time I wanted to get into another one. I rented a Z4 on Toro while I was in Miami and really enjoyed it. Everything just felt BMW obviously and the transmission really sold me. All that led me to dive deeper into the new Supra which I liked but dismissed as an unpopular colab when it released. **my bad

And here we are. Driving what will be one of my favorite cars that I will have owned.

BMW does it well. Why fight it. :wave:

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I bought mine so I could stay in the same racing class I was in before the rule change was set. Due to that, it came down to a Corvette (C7 GS) or a Supra. Couldnt bring myself to wearing jean shorts so I went with the Supra. Never owned a Toyota or BMW before.

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CU Later Grey 2023, RAM 1500
Came from an FRS, so collaboration with another company didn't scare me off but I did like the reliability Toyota had provided in the FRS and my Accord before that. Some of the M cars are cool but never really considered them for a variety of reasons.

Supra hits that sweet spot of nice and quick, reliable, unique styling and rare to see, at least from where I live. Oh, and much more affordable than a Porsche
Sponsored