BMW M Boss Says “Never Say Never” To M3-Powered Toyota Supra

The Lurker

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400
Despite BMW and Toyota insisting that, after agreeing on basic requirements, they then went their separate ways in developing their new sports cars, things certainly don’t look that way; and one more clue is the fact that the the new Supra might, eventually, get the next M3’s engine.

Autocar recently had the opportunity to sit down with M Division president Markus Flasch and asked whether the new twin-turbo 3.0-liter six-cylinder from the X3 M and X4 M, which will soon find its way in the brand-new M3, could also find be used in the Supra.

“We’ve certainly made no offer to supply the engine to Toyota – and no request has been made, as far as I know,” he said. “But it’s an interesting idea, if unlikely for now. It would be a lot for us to give away, you might say. But I’d never say never.”

While we’re sure many Supra enthusiasts would be intrigued at the possibility of a near-500 HP version of the Japanese sports car, Flasch indicated that it’s unlikely to happen, at least while the X3 M and X4 M’s S58 engine is still in its infancy.

“As a rule, we don’t offer BMW M engines to third parties because we consider them such a strength of our cars,” he said. “I think it would be a hard decision for a lot of the team to accept – particularly with the S58 being so new. Why would we sell it before we had a chance to use it ourselves in all the places we plan to?”

Powering both the current Supra and the BMW Z4 M40i is the B58 3.0-liter, single turbo straight-six. While the Toyota’s 335 HP might not sound like an awful lot for a rear-wheel drive sports car in 2019, dyno runs have revealed that it likely pumps out closer to 380 HP, propelling it to 62 mph (100 km/h) in 4.1 seconds.

A more powerful variant, complete with two turbochargers and upwards of 500 HP, could be just what Toyota needs to win over those remaining diehard Supra fans still not convinced by the new car.

Still, with the long-awaited sports car selling like hot cakes right now, and BMW not willing to share its latest mill just yet we don’t expect that to happen anytime soon (if at all..). The mid-life cycle revamp, which is at least three to four years, if not more, into the future, or a special hardcore variant to spice up interest, would be the logical choice – but, then again, you never know.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/bmw-m-boss-says-never-say-never-to-m3-powered-toyota-supra/
Sponsored

zakira

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5, JBH D09, Metro, Uber and Lyft :(
It's like the Supra will always get the hand me downs. BMW's stepchild.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
“As a rule, we don’t offer BMW M engines to third parties because we consider them such a strength of our cars,” he said. “I think it would be a hard decision for a lot of the team to accept – particularly with the S58 being so new. Why would we sell it before we had a chance to use it ourselves in all the places we plan to?”
I called this awhile ago, after the M3/M4 get released the Supra will have it's opportunity. The real question is if the M3/M4 get a manual option

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
I wonder how difficult an S58 swap would be down the line. Surely it would be a similar ECU programming type thing to the B58 since they're both BMW so would it be possible for just a more simple swap and remap with a couple of supporting mods? Will be interesting to see what's possible a few years down the line...

Kaahari

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra mkiv -93
Vehicle Showcase
Nah,

Toyota shoud just get those dusty 2jz block molds from Tahara plant old warehouse. Put in fully forged internals, design new head and engine management to meet today standards ;)

Last edited:

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Nah,

Toyota shoud just get those dusty 2jz block molds from Tahara plant old warehouse. Put in fully forged internals, design new head and engine management to meet today standards ;)
LOL. If it was that easy then they wouldn't have even started with a "dusty 2JZ block molds". They would have built a completely new engine and would have commissioned it for this one car.

Novice_Mentality

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Subaru WRX STI, 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2015 Ducati 899 Panigale
If the 86 didn't upgrade it's engine, the Supra won't either
Different market though. 86 was trying to market to the affordable sports car. An M powered supra would be the "GR" version. Limited numbers, higher price, etc.

I personally don't think it would happen though. Toyota would then get that engine, perform even more R&D to make sure the engine is up to Toyota Standards. Pricey pricey pricey.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
There aren’t dusty 2JZ moulds. They still cast 2JZ blocks.

Jeff

Oxytal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MR2 SW20

Jeff
I thought Toyota discontinued it's JZ line, and to a greater extent it's inline-6 family years ago which is why the Supra doesn't have a JZ family engine

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT

Jeff
^^ This. Thank you Jeff. NEW Toyotas have not been produced with JZ engines for years now and never will be again but Toyota still makes replacement JZ blocks and short block assemblies, various JZ heads and many, many other parts for them and to an extent some of the parts for vehicles that originally came with JZ engines.
Sponsored