Botti Tunes Safety/Reliability vs. Others?

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
The shop that built my car switched over to Botti from Marin a year back. Main reason was more availability and quicker response. Marin is a super smart dude with immense knowledge. He has crazy ideas he wants to accomplish, but he has been very occupied lately.
Sponsored

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
I've read through this thread and I feel like I should weigh in here. Botti tuned my 2020 with Ecutek about a year ago on the dyno at The Shop CT. He's a really friendly guy and is extremely knowledgeable about our platform. Obviously he's a drag racing guy first and foremost, but he's tuned many cars for many different applications.

Mikey really took his time on the dyno and dialed in the car properly. I honestly lost count of how many pulls he did on the dyno. I'm not really a dyno numbers kinda guy, even though Mikey is known for getting really good numbers out of this platform. I'm an engineer and I under how much variation there really is from dyno to dyno, day to day, etc.

1678238777293.jpeg

1678238694546.jpeg

I took a pic of the screen on one of the final dyno pulls. I wasn't too concerned about final numbers or whatever, so I didn't bother with an actual screen shot at the end. At my request he dialed the torque back a little from here, but obviously this was a huge bump in power.

My honest review after a year of this tune is that it pulls like a freight train down low and feels great in Sport mode and on track. In daily driving it took some getting used to, but I'm averaging about 28 MPG during my 30 mile mixed highway and New England backroad commute.

I haven't seen any heat soak issues during the summer months, but I haven't tracked the car in 90+ degree weather yet so it may be an issue. I will be monitoring IATs closely this summer on track. If it becomes a problem I'll address it.

When I eventually upgrade the turbo, downpipe, manifold, fueling system, etc. I'll be bringing my car back to Mikey Botti.

GnaRegards

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 Toyota Camry
Jeff is just like this online. In-person, he absolutely loves talking- especially science stuff. I chalk it up to him being incredibly busy and the number of messages he gets. He'll get chatty from time to him.
Iā€™ll chime in on this one. Iā€™ve spoken to Jeff quite extensively over the past few months. He has always gotten back to me and has been incredibly helpful. All while being aware Iā€™m no where near ready to get things going, being that Iā€™m in the planning stages. Great dude and very knowledgeable for sure

GnaRegards

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 Toyota Camry
Anymore? Like he ever did LMAO dude literally did maybe 1 car on it

Talk to the usual bm3 guys. Sameh seems great but also ABP, F80Paul, Odin, Jordan, many
Odin has been quite unresponsive. Messages on IG and WhatsApp and itā€™s been months and no response. Hope heā€™s alright

Andrew__a90

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium Nitro Yellow
What's your setup? A basic bolt on cars will all generally be around the same power. Botti makes fast cars 100%, but so does Payn, Visconti, Twisted, Marin etc. Lol
I was curious as to why Botti ECU unlock is so much cheaper than Visconti etc. Botti on East Coast Supra for an unlock is $500 while Visconti is over 3k. Am I missing something big or is it really that much cheaper for some reason?

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
I was curious as to why Botti ECU unlock is so much cheaper than Visconti etc. Botti on East Coast Supra for an unlock is $500 while Visconti is over 3k. Am I missing something big or is it really that much cheaper for some reason?
Probably clone vs bench unlock if I had to guess.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Like Mason stated, that is for the 2019-2021 pre June ECUs for a bench unlock.

KBGT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
After reading through all this, I have a question. If we wanted to compare our favorite Tuner's tune, why not post datalogs?

My super simple understanding of B58 tuning goes like this:
-Load/boost control - does the tuner scale/tune things properly to accurately control boost without throttle closures etc?
-What does the boost target curve look like and what it the peak value?
-What is the lambda target, and how much PID correction is necessary aka STFT?
-What does the timing curve look like (with regard to IAT) and how much retard is being applied by knock control?
-Are there any flags of concern (torque limiting, component protection, injection)?

At this point I do not believe any one tuner has "magic" tables that other tuners don't have access to. Therefore I would think the real way to evaluates tunes from various tuners is to compare datalogs. We can't see the actual values your tuner puts in the tables but we can see the end result.

Granted this approach is probably to data driven and most just wants a tuner that is nice and talks with them to give them warm fuzzies...

Paul Johnson CTS turbo DI/Reflex PI flex fuel tune on E10 92 pump with E95 in the Snow W/M:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=65404c359c0e3502a90e9ac0

Last edited:

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Therefore I would think the real way to evaluates tunes from various tuners is to compare datalogs. We can't see the actual values your tuner puts in the tables but we can see the end result.

Granted this approach is probably to data driven and most just wants a tuner that is nice and talks with them to give them warm fuzzies...

Paul Johnson CTS turbo DI/Reflex PI flex fuel tune on E10 92 pump with E95 in the Snow W/M:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=65404c359c0e3502a90e9ac0
They have a thread like this over on the BMW B58 forums. It's pretty great.

As an aside.... damn that CTS turbo is a laggy boi.

KBGT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
Is this the one?
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1648722

Yes the CTS is laggy, like a small top mount. It is much more enjoyable than trying to spin the stock unit to the moon and feel it choking up top. My other sports car is a forged 4.6L with big cams and a twin screw 2.8L KB. I like the feeling of continuous power increase with rpm.

ArmenLS1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Type R
Is it true that Botti is doing BM3? I don't see any supporting information on his SM, even though many YT reviewers have mentioned it in their videos.

KungFu

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra, 01 Impreza RSTi
Is it true that Botti is doing BM3? I don't see any supporting information on his SM, even though many YT reviewers have mentioned it in their videos.
Last I heard he's only doing BM3 in person due to not having a BM3 "Master Tuner license" which allows him to remote/e-tune.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Last I heard he's only doing BM3 in person due to not having a BM3 "Master Tuner license" which allows him to remote/e-tune.
Not sure what that is. I can tune remotely with BM3 just fine with normal access.
Sponsored