Botti Tunes Safety/Reliability vs. Others?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Botti is easier to convince that you want to push it than payn. Botti assumes if you say, 'push it' you mean, 'push it- I'm fully aware that at any time that means my rod can fold in half.' Jeff will do it too, but you really have to convenience him to do it.
Sponsored

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
I think it's kind
Botti is easier to convince that you want to push it than payn. Botti assumes if you say, 'push it' you mean, 'push it- I'm fully aware that at any time that means my rod can fold in half.' Jeff will do it too, but you really have to convenience him to do it.
Where as certain other tuners tune very conservatively to where the chance of something catastrophic occurring are very very minimal and the trade off is you're a bit slower. I will take slower and damn near bullet-proof any day.

OP
OP

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
I think you’re trying to hard.
Feels like it at this point, ha

Jeff Payne said it best during his last live session on Instagram.

“Let me know what your goal is and I will do my best to get you there. Whether its a setup good for only 10 passes on the drag strip or as a daily with the occasional roll race.”

Maybe that Botti tune guy that gapped you is 1 roll race away from a complete engine rebuild. And the Payne E85 guy is tuned more for reliability.

Really it just comes down to what you want to achieve with your tuner regardless of who you chose.
This is the conclusion that I've come to during my time researching tuners on this platform, but I was curious if there was more context that I was missing. I imagine that some tuners would be more reluctant to push the platform and some that are fine building a rep being extra spicy with more risk.

^^^This right here. This is good info. Thank you, @zrk.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Conversation you have with the tuner is key. You've to define what you want, what's your use scenario, how far are you willing to push in terms of hp, money, additional mods. What fuel is available. What's the goal? 1/4 mile improvement, under a certain second. Doing rolls? Daily, track, drag, all-in-one... Spend time, provide logs.
Also, are you a kid who doesn't know shit and will you blame tuner if you blow the engine up... What kind of vibes is the tuner getting from you... Etc.
For sure having a Supra of their own is great but not crucial as long as they've experience with the platform, right...

OP
OP

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Conversation you have with the tuner is key. You've to define what you want, what's your use scenario, how far are you willing to push in terms of hp, money, additional mods. What fuel is available. What's the goal? 1/4 mile improvement, under a certain second. Doing rolls? Daily, track, drag, all-in-one... Spend time, provide logs.
Also, are you a kid who doesn't know shit and will you blame tuner if you blow the engine up... What kind of vibes is the tuner getting from you... Etc.
For sure having a Supra of their own is great but not crucial as long as they've experience with the platform, right...
Certainly not all tuners are equal (in every area). Perhaps we should be talking pre-tune communication/cost/turnaround/post-tune support/driveability/etc. to assess tuners vs. the tunes they turn out. Idk. While I haven't been able to get a ton of new info out of this thread, at least it's confirmed the validity of the info that's already out there, so that's good.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
Certainly not all tuners are equal (in every area). Perhaps we should be talking pre-tune communication/cost/turnaround/post-tune support/driveability/etc. to assess tuners vs. the tunes they turn out. Idk. While I haven't been able to get a ton of new info out of this thread, at least it's confirmed the validity of the info that's already out there, so that's good.
Botti tune is only as aggressive as what you ask for. I asked for a conservative e50 tune with a catted dp and we made 482hp/540tq

mine is the black car in the video

OP
OP

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have a conservative tune by Botti also in the Tampa area.
Are you a Pure 850 tuned by Visconti?
Cool - hope to meet more Tampa people. I am not Pure 850, but just to be clear to everyone, the point of this thread is not about my setup but rather expectations with different tuners.

From what I've seen all of these main guys (Payn, Visconti, Twisted, Marin) are making big power on their custom tunes. It's not really the level of power that is differentiating, but rather the drive-ability of the tunes on the street. Dyno numbers are one thing, daily driving the car can be a different ask and different drivers will have different asks of their car.

Personally I have seen great custom tunes from Jeff Payn. He easily hits the big numbers, and those cars drive very smooth all the way in between WOT. Lots of dudes in the CTX area are tuned by him.
Good points. Maybe if I asked, "As much as you love your tune, what is one area where the experience/tune could be improved?", I would have received some better insight. "Tuner A took 2 weeks to respond, but I go fast now." "Tuner B only cost me $X, but I could probably use another revision." "Tuner C gave me the whole experience and excellent tune, but I paid an arm and a leg for it."

Botti tune is only as aggressive as what you ask for. I asked for a conservative e50 tune with a catted dp and we made 482hp/540tq
Good data point (along with Genji above) on how a tuner can adapt to the customer's needs.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Just be explicit and direct with what you want in your tune. thats basically what it boils down to. Don't let someone talk you into somthing you really don't want or aren't ready for.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Just be explicit and direct with what you want in your tune. thats basically what it boils down to. Don't let someone talk you into somthing you really don't want or aren't ready for.
1000hp on stock internals, please. Thanks, Justin.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
All top tuners, botti, Visconti, Payne, and Marin will all make the same whp on an e50 tune.
based on my research, botti is somewhat aggressive with tuning but that was months ago andhe may have made adaptions as well as anyone else.
I went with Visconti because Marshall was very proactive and always had time to answer my questions.
payne on the other hand was short and always killed the conversation and made no effort in really answering anything.
I Havnt had any issues with the Visconti tune yet, they we really chill with me during the time of my street tune.
Sponsored