Cannot measure oil

Supra 9

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra primium 3.0
No not yet I had to go back and they created a case with toyota just waiting on toyota on what they gonna do! We all know it’s the oil level sensor…..
We all know it's the oil level sensors. That's why I just purchased out right and fix It, didn't want my car to stay in the dealer too long or doing all this s***
Sponsored

Tripjammer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium 3.0
got it. I'm having the same issue, going to replace the sensor in two weeks. already order it.
Yeah that’s the fix I am gonna call them up tomorrow and see what toyota told them to do….

Tripjammer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bumping this thread.

@Tripjammer any success/updates?
Dealer called and said bring the Supra in the Supra tech needed to connect to the car and insult with toyota to figure it out. Then the day before they said their only surpra cable was broke and they had to order a new one so I am waiting for them to get straight…maybe next week if these cables are bot backordered you figured they would have a back up cable in case somebody wanted to get their recall fixed?

SpeedRacer

First Name
AP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
So quick update... my car has now been at the dealership third week going in for this issue and they are at a dead end. They simply don’t know what to do.

On the other hand they said they contacted an ex-BMW tech that now works for Toyota in Texas to get his input-this was last week and they still haven’t gotten a response from. Either they are giving me the run around- or they are lost. Thinking of using lemon law if they don’t get this fixed soon.
Not sure where you’re located but Aaron at Round Rock Toyota (in Texas) solved a few early issues for me (replaced the steering rack, solved a computer issue that made the computer go nuts…).

I got the chance to speak with him when my car was in for service and he seemed experienced and well versed when it comes to the MKV.

if you’re close to the area, it might be worth getting it in their shop for him to check it out.

Tripjammer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not sure where you’re located but Aaron at Round Rock Toyota (in Texas) solved a few early issues for me (replaced the steering rack, solved a computer issue that made the computer go nuts…).

I got the chance to speak with him when my car was in for service and he seemed experienced and well versed when it comes to the MKV.

if you’re close to the area, it might be worth getting it in their shop for him to check it out.
i might just do that it will give this dealer one more chance you and me know it’s the leveling sensor I don’t know why toyota don’t have this figured out in their database

pichachu-z

First Name
anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 premiun
We all know it's the oil level sensors. That's why I just purchased out right and fix It, didn't want my car to stay in the dealer too long or doing all this s***
So it’s the level sensor not the pressure control valve?

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
So I also have the same issue with mine not reading over 18%, I have a 2020 and I have never got any low oil warnings, change oil every 5k miles, I have 5w-40 in it, And I know It is not burning but I wanna check, I am at 13k miles now, It's been like that forever and I just assumed I was not driving the car long enough. Do we have a set fix or what causes this issue? it is the oil level sensor, my car is going into the dealer after the new year for some sound deadening work under warranty, and I can have them replace that sensor if that is the case.

Supra 9

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra primium 3.0
So I also have the same issue with mine not reading over 18%, I have a 2020 and I have never got any low oil warnings, change oil every 5k miles, I have 5w-40 in it, And I know It is not burning but I wanna check, I am at 13k miles now, It's been like that forever and I just assumed I was not driving the car long enough. Do we have a set fix or what causes this issue? it is the oil level sensor, my car is going into the dealer after the new year for some sound deadening work under warranty, and I can have them replace that sensor if that is the case.
It is oil level sensor, I just purchased this right out and replace it. You can go together alternative way but the dealer going to keep your car for a few days and do bunch of testing and investigating and all that bull crap so for under $150 I just purchases and installed and it's done.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Was linked here since I have a similar issue. I've scheduled with Toyota for service next week. Wondering what they will do. Seems like they will just change the oil and send me on my way till my oil level is at minimum again.

My oil level sensor seems to be malfunctioning in the same way, failing to measure oil level after about 21% complete with the process. I've managed to get it to work once or twice especially after really short drives. This started happening after I added my 5th quart of oil to the car since picking it up 5k miles ago.

I burn oil pretty hard so I am hoping to replace both parts highlighted in this thread, but if I am lucky the dealer will be the ones to do that under warranty work. I hope they have good master techs over there at Round Rock Toyota...

TurtReynolds

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Newer member/lurker with a 2020 model produced in 2019 here but I was having this issue and after a very long series of steps and troubleshooting techniques I discovered something very interesting while working with my tuner Zach at counterspace garage.

Like many people here, I blamed the oil level sensor on not being able to measure my oil past the mythical 18%; but I've also seen evidence this does not resolve the issue!

So if that's not it, then what is it; you might ask yourself?

The answer is altogether simple and annoying at the same time and appears to be an oversight during QC testing on Toyota's behalf.

It is the oil temperature.

Through repeated A-B testing under tons of scenarios I inevitably discovered that the oil measurement diagnostic fails to complete after the oil temperature reaches somewhere over 205 Fahrenheit.

I verified this by constantly running the measurement in a laundry list of scenarios and every single time the measurement completed once it was below 205* F.

How did I discover this you might ask? By sheer accident. I was washing the car one evening and then for shits and giggles decided to run the diagnostic with my ECUtek plugged in and logging various oil related parameters.

To my surprise? It succeeded just south of 190* F. Ran it again. Success. Color me confused and relieved all at the same time because this was driving me bonkers.

Then it failed after it got closer to 210 *.

So I did what I do best as an ex-QA engineer. I set up test scenarios and tested the damn thing over and over trying to reproduce the behavior over several days.

Like many of you I was totally prepared to replace the sensor and do all sorts of other things to chase this issue down.

But nope; no need. It's literally just that the damn thing runs just an itty bitty bit too hot for the diagnostic to succeed and to rub salt in the wound it doesn't throw any kind of code at any level whatsoever either.

I would definitely like to see other people test this on their cars to see if I'm an anomaly in this.
I hope this helps someone who is also being driven insane by this.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Newer member/lurker with a 2020 model produced in 2019 here but I was having this issue and after a very long series of steps and troubleshooting techniques I discovered something very interesting while working with my tuner Zach at counterspace garage.

Like many people here, I blamed the oil level sensor on not being able to measure my oil past the mythical 18%; but I've also seen evidence this does not resolve the issue!

So if that's not it, then what is it; you might ask yourself?

The answer is altogether simple and annoying at the same time and appears to be an oversight during QC testing on Toyota's behalf.

It is the oil temperature.

Through repeated A-B testing under tons of scenarios I inevitably discovered that the oil measurement diagnostic fails to complete after the oil temperature reaches somewhere over 205 Fahrenheit.

I verified this by constantly running the measurement in a laundry list of scenarios and every single time the measurement completed once it was below 205* F.

How did I discover this you might ask? By sheer accident. I was washing the car one evening and then for shits and giggles decided to run the diagnostic with my ECUtek plugged in and logging various oil related parameters.

To my surprise? It succeeded just south of 190* F. Ran it again. Success. Color me confused and relieved all at the same time because this was driving me bonkers.

Then it failed after it got closer to 210 *.

So I did what I do best as an ex-QA engineer. I set up test scenarios and tested the damn thing over and over trying to reproduce the behavior over several days.

Like many of you I was totally prepared to replace the sensor and do all sorts of other things to chase this issue down.

But nope; no need. It's literally just that the damn thing runs just an itty bitty bit too hot for the diagnostic to succeed and to rub salt in the wound it doesn't throw any kind of code at any level whatsoever either.

I would definitely like to see other people test this on their cars to see if I'm an anomaly in this.
I hope this helps someone who is also being driven insane by this.
Wow thanks a ton for sharing, I don’t have temp readings setup on my JB4, and I never really noticed it could be temperature related but come to think of it the only time I could get a measurement was after a short drive.

I have returned the car the stock so the dealer can check it out and begin the process they have for oil consumption issues.

The service advisor let me know there is a new service bulletin coming out in March and it’s about this exact issue. I wonder if Toyota has come up with a plan to stop replacing these engines and actually fix the issues.
Sponsored