Carplay has disappeared

Sangeof

First Name
Sanju
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A91 Refraction
I’m hearing they are messing with you ecus and locking them if you take it in to the dealership. I’d stay far away from the dealership. You wanna lose CarPlay or your ability to tune? The choice is up to you. CarPlay sucks in Supra to begin with. It was always glitchy for the month I’ve had this car so far. My 2020 Lexus RX uses wired CarPlay and works with no problems ever. CarPlay is so frustrating in supra being wireless and I’d rather just get a car mount and use Waze or google maps on my phone. Let’s not give wireless CarPlay any credit to begin with. The technology has been glitchy since introduced on bmws.
Sponsored

ArtEmortal

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2002 GTI 1.8T, 2013 VW CC R-Line, 2020 Toyota Supra
I called Toyota and reported it, and they added my VIN as an affected vehicle. You don't have to physically take your car in to report IT related issues. Not that it's a bad thing, just a waste of time. I agree with the other poster above though that states Toyota should just revert the OTA update if it's possible instead of making everyone wait up to 2 weeks for another OTA fix (assuming it doesn't take longer).
i called toyota, they ran me thru the, "delete profile from vehicle, delete profile from iphone, then start a new profile. oh it didn't work, can you go to the dealer?"

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I've never had any issues with CarPlay except, which is not CarPlay's fault is on my ancient iPhone 6s, after using it for nav and music for hours and plugged in, screen off, it overheats and maybe memory issues, acts weird, after cool down and restart it's always ok. Same issue if AC is on and phone is in front of vent.
The only other issue is my primary phone is Samsung GS20U, which is newer and uses latest BT, etc. so whenever I get in the car, Supra connects to it first. Don't remember what I did, but it's fixed now. I still sometimes have to toggle Connect to CarPlay, which is not a biggie. I don't have interruptions or anything.
What issues are you talking about?

SunbirdGTO

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 1986 Mitsubishi Starion
Purely guessing, it seems the way the system works is like this: iDrive hits the Supra Connect server and if it determines there is an active CarPlay subscription, it displays the CarPlay icon and enables its functionality; if there is no active subscription, then the CarPlay icon doesn't display and disables its functionality. Some update in Supra Connect service side caused CarPlay to be disabled. Toyota/BMW just needs to fix that bug and CarPlay will be back to normal - no need to take the car to dealer.

I don't drive my car that often either. CarPlay worked fine a week ago. I'll find out if it still works or disappears this weekend.
Add me to the list. Mine worked a week ago. Drove it last night and it initially said "function not available". Then tried it on the way home and Carplay had completely disappeared rom my display.

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
Let’s not give wireless CarPlay any credit to begin with.
Literally have had zero issues with it until the issue described in this thread happened. It's been more or less flawless for me and I'm putting close to 900 miles a week on this car as my daily with heavy usage on it for navigation.

Brandido

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra; 2015 Jeep Cherokee
Everything in this thread is accurate.
I am closing into 5,000 miles and had no issues with the Apply Carplay until now.

Brandido

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra; 2015 Jeep Cherokee
Just a FYI, I called Toyota support this morning and the operator confirmed that it is a known issue.

Gcole

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 Premium
Hopefully Toyota will lose face on this and make it right for their customers.

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
Welp it gone
Haven’t driven it since turkey day and thought maybe I dodged it. Nope

so I don’t have any connect app
Haven’t used it
How did it disappear with out a true over air update???
It's likely not an update that was done to your Supra. It's probably an incorrect setting/update on the main server that holds all subscription data. For most BMW's, Carplay is subscription-based. If the system sees that your vin doesn't have a subscription, the car deactivates Carplay.

That is the gist of it. Don't hold me to the exact details.

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AW A90
The car is still connected to servers, the News/weather app still works so it's probably something with the Toyota/BMW servers not seeing something right.

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition #1455
It's likely not an update that was done to your Supra. It's probably an incorrect setting/update on the main server that holds all subscription data. For most BMW's, Carplay is subscription-based. If the system sees that your vin doesn't have a subscription, the car deactivates Carplay.

That is the gist of it. Don't hold me to the exact details.
This could definitely be the issue, but I would lean more towards an OTA update. I would think any competent DBA could fix something like this in a day or two max.

Source: I'm a SQL DBA.
Sponsored