Clutch slipping after 2 months of ownership

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Well, you shouldn't be in disbelief, since it IS a wear and tear part. He hasn't gotten Toyota to address the problem right? I don't think he should fight about it either. Just saying that it's a wear and tear item, as OP said himself. That's why Toyota doesn't want to do anything. Just facts. Is it right? No. Is it deemed wear and tear? Yes. I dont think OP posted here to gain sympathizers. We can all agree it isn't right, and most likely a defect and/or a quality control issue.

Unfortunately, for Toyota or ANY manufacturer vehicle warranty, clutches will always be a wear and tear part. I'm overjoyed you can read, you just can't comprehend it seems.
It appears you donā€™t comprehend this is a defective part situation rather than wear and tear situationā€¦.
Sponsored

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
It appears you donā€™t comprehend this is a defective part situation rather than wear and tear situationā€¦.
Nope. You still dont understand. I'm not the one saying it isn't a defect. I'm just saying that the reason they aren't willing to look at it is because TO TOYOTA ALL THEY SEE IS BLACK AND WHITE, ON PAPER IT'S A WEAR AND TEAR ITEM. It needs to take someone at Toyota to look past the fact that it's a clutch, and use their brain to figure out its a defect clearly, not from improper clutch use. I'm done reiterating this to someone who can't understand semantics.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Nope. You still dont understand. I'm not the one saying it isn't a defect. I'm just saying that the reason they aren't willing to look at it is because TO TOYOTA ALL THEY SEE IS BLACK AND WHITE, ON PAPER IT'S A WEAR AND TEAR ITEM. It needs to take someone at Toyota to look past the fact that it's a clutch, and use their brain to figure out its a defect clearly, not from improper clutch use. I'm done reiterating this to someone who can't understand semantics.
I agree, semantics. Again, sorry if I offended you. And sorry I continued. I should have stopped after I apologized the first time but the F-bombs triggered me a little. No biggie. Peace!:beer::beer:

visbits

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 MKV MT, 94 RX7, 95 Supra, 02 S2K, 17 GT350
7000 miles lots of aggressive driving no clutch issue... you riding the clutch everywhere?

dreadforge

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nitro MT
So after a little over 4 months, 23~ states, coast to coast, nearly 17.5K miles, and a lot of aggressive driving - my clutch is holding up under everything but the most aggressive driving. I slip BAD shifting 2-3 and 3-4 if I shift too quickly. Ordered ClutchMasters FX1000 and throwout bearing.

Running JB4 w/ e20-30, so she's definitely producing a fair bit more torque over stock and she just doesnt like sending it at 100%

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Ok, WHY do you need a clutch? What is the symptom here? Engagement issue? Noise? Vibration? Gears grinding due to lack of full disengagement? Slippage?

If you actually burned the clutch down that fast, the car would be so permeated with clutch smell it would take MONTHS for the smell to dissipate, and it would smack you in the face from 30 feet away.

True story, we just had a 2022 Corolla Hatchback where the owner beat it so hard in 27,000 miles that the clutch burned down to nothing, exploded, and took out the transmission in the process. Our shop is almost 700,000 cubic feet, and every one of those cubes REEKED of burnt clutch the whole week it was on the hoist. If toasted in less than 1,000 miles, yours should smell even stronger than that! Lastly, the jackass driver's warranty didn't cover a penny of that, as the evidence of horrible abuse was irrefutable.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Unfortunately it has been more and more relevant that the clutch is the weak point on the manual Supra. I wouldnā€™t put a stock clutch back in even if it was a warranty item. Its better to go after market and know it will handle current and future power upgrades.

-RJM

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
3000+ miles on my MT clutch, most of it JB4 tuned with plenty more torque than stock. Not even a hint of slip once. I did do a 750 mile break-in that probably helped, but yours sounds like a defect to me.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Unfortunately it has been more and more relevant that the clutch is the weak point on the manual Supra. I wouldnā€™t put a stock clutch back in even if it was a warranty item. Its better to go after market and know it will handle current and future power upgrades.

-RJM
While I am not saying the problem isn't real, there have been a lot of manuals sold worldwide and from what I can tell only a handful of people have reported this issue online. Count me in as another without the issue.. I've done 3000km without any slippage. I am more than happy to lambast that abysmal 1-2 shift however.

As to the problem being reported, I think it is most likely some kind of manufacturing fault but large corporations are very reticent to fix those. And lets face it.. since we are talking a wear item (yes I have read the comments above) without knowing a driver's driving ability/style, it's really hard to discount abuse in some form.

And as for this talk of a clutch not being able to be burnt out through abuse in under 1000 miles.. give me a break! I have a 19 year old who will happily show you how it can be accomplished in less than ten!

Last edited:

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
Listen up.... I had a situation similar to this with a different car. When a clutch starts to slip on a brand new car with such low mileage, it's almost always due to gear oil contamination of the clutch disk. There are two very simple ways that can happen. 1. A faulty seal, and 2. A bad pressure relief valve in the gearbox. The second failure mode is what happened to me. So yeah, the repair did end up being 100% covered under warranty.

The point is this----any dealership telling you that a clutch isn't covered because it's a wear item is wrong. The failure mode of the clutch is what determines if it's a warranty repair or not.
Sponsored