Clutch Slipping on stock A91 MT...

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Coming up at 5k miles and since last thread this specific issue has not come up. But I will say, for a few hours last week this thing was an absolute dog, no power, running terribly, shifts felt delayed and slow. It was in the 80’s and I got on a few times but later that day on the same tank of fuel it was totally fine (rules out bad fuel, probably) like I was extremely upset the car didn’t feel broken in a specific sense but everything felt worse. Like I was driving a China clone a91 mt, I’ve also pretty much fully taken off or apart every piece of plastic and speaker covers. The rattles on this 23 make my 20 feel like a rolls compared. I really have days where I love this car and other days where I want to go buy an m2 for the sake of build quality, I’m currently in la renting an m440 and it’s definitely better built.
Did you notice any codes when this happened or anything on the dash? My car always seems to hesitate when that happens. Especially the chassis code. I got that yesterday on track and she lost some power. Not limp mode but enough where you could tell… It only happened twice. But we are definitely heating up down here brother! Only one more track day and I‘ll pack er up until next October….
Sponsored

OP
OP
NitroYellowMKV

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Is the bogging down issue similar to the ones on the auto where the TCS was being a dick and pre-emptively messing with the throttle when moving from 1st?

Sorry to hear about the rattles. If i hear them now, i know im not alone :(
Unfortunately no, it was with tc on/ off. I rarely ever do 1st gear pulls. It just spins and I’m scared to shift it quickly into 2nd in fear of slipping or breaking something. This was like full on the car lost 100hp

OP
OP
NitroYellowMKV

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I'm just about to hit 5700 miles and I do have a similar experience about 25% of the time where it just feels like the car has no power, then I park it, get back in and WOT and it's powerful again haha.

Lucky I don't have any rattles yet.
I wonder if it’s some bad boost by gear tuning. This car has it and when it works it hits hard in 3rd, other times it doesn’t

DrSupra

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT
Just over 2500 miles on my car now with no slipping. Have been very nice to the clutch with the exception of some spirited shifting at times. Now that others are mentioning the car being down on power at times, it does feel like there's an occasional moment here or there where it doesn't just rocket off as normal - I didn't think anything of it until others mentioned something similar but it's also not super noticeable and ive wondered if i was imagining it. If it's anything, I agree with NitroYellowMKV - what I'm feeling never happens in third (or fourth for that matter), which does feel substantially stronger than 1st and 2nd.

OP
OP
NitroYellowMKV

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Ya I
Just over 2500 miles on my car now with no slipping. Have been very nice to the clutch with the exception of some spirited shifting at times. Now that others are mentioning the car being down on power at times, it does feel like there's an occasional moment here or there where it doesn't just rocket off as normal - I didn't think anything of it until others mentioned something similar but it's also not super noticeable and ive wondered if i was imagining it. If it's anything, I agree with NitroYellowMKV - what I'm feeling never happens in third (or fourth for that matter), which does feel substantially stronger than 1st and 2nd.
ya I was chalking it up to heat soak but the more and more it happens and the way it happens it definitely isn’t. I think it’s just some bad tuning on these cars, and the boost by gear function acting up. Oh well. For anyone wondering why mine is fairly stock, well here ya go lol.

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
ya I was chalking it up to heat soak but the more and more it happens and the way it happens it definitely isn’t. I think it’s just some bad tuning on these cars, and the boost by gear function acting up. Oh well. For anyone wondering why mine is fairly stock, well here ya go lol.
No AM options available yet? If not I hope there are soon. I’d be going plum crazy if I had an MT that I couldn’t safely touch.

OP
OP
NitroYellowMKV

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
No AM options available yet? If not I hope there are soon. I’d be going plum crazy if I had an MT that I couldn’t safely touch.
Not yet unfortunately, a few people are working hard, @clutchman is trying to get a unit to look at. Some days I care others I don’t, I’m over going fast, but I do want my stock power to be safe and have all of the horsepower I paid for. At the end of the day if the stock clutch can only handle stock power then yes it sucks but Toyota never promised us anymore so can really be too mad at them, it’ll just hurt resale for people who buy to mod, on the other hand we are 100% owed for the car to function as intended at stock power levels, which is seeming to be not the case

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
Not yet unfortunately, a few people are working hard, @clutchman is trying to get a unit to look at. Some days I care others I don’t, I’m over going fast, but I do want my stock power to be safe and have all of the horsepower I paid for. At the end of the day if the stock clutch can only handle stock power then yes it sucks but Toyota never promised us anymore so can really be too mad at them, it’ll just hurt resale for people who buy to mod, on the other hand we are 100% owed for the car to function as intended at stock power levels, which is seeming to be not the case
Would you go back to the auto model?

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silverado, S1000R, A91-MT
Maybe I've just gotten lucky. 4k on mine and not an issue. Then again I followed the break in exactly and broke the clutch in like any other clutch.

Hopefully it's just a bad batch of clutches and isolated. It could also be placebo where people think they are having the same problem, especially if they've never noticed it.

THaGRMango

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow 3.0 MT Premium

Save y'all for pausing and searching the part number in the video..

Listed Part Number for them below:
Pressure plate: B015
6 Puck Race disk: 6240030

Last edited:
OP
OP
NitroYellowMKV

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Would you go back to the auto model?
nah, already experienced it once. my next move is either P car or the Emira I ordered. But the way the economy is going I doubt I'll make the transition anytime soon. Would much rather invest into the business and my schooling then a car, as much as I love them, have to be a somewhat responsible adult

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
nah, already experienced it once. my next move is either P car or the Emira I ordered. But the way the economy is going I doubt I'll make the transition anytime soon. Would much rather invest into the business and my schooling then a car, as much as I love them, have to be a somewhat responsible adult
I haven't driven my A91 since I got it in November. It's currently sitting at 8 miles. All this talk makes me wanna double down on my current fleet and sell the Supra.

At the end of the day, it's really a Z4 and if I can't mod it for fun, it's kind of pointless at least for me.

Economy is definitely going in a way so I feel you on that.

Emira orders aren't going to be show until early 24 if that. My CFO has one on order and he just PTS'd a Carrera T as a backup in case the Emira takes longer than anticipated (it will).

Sad to say, the only thing similar in price and fun would be an M2 but the G87 is heinous.

Tough choices to make here.

OP
OP
NitroYellowMKV

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I haven't driven my A91 since I got it in November. It's currently sitting at 8 miles. All this talk makes me wanna double down on my current fleet and sell the Supra.

At the end of the day, it's really a Z4 and if I can't mod it for fun, it's kind of pointless at least for me.

Economy is definitely going in a way so I feel you on that.

Emira orders aren't going to be show until early 24 if that. My CFO has one on order and he just PTS'd a Carrera T as a backup in case the Emira takes longer than anticipated (it will).

Sad to say, the only thing similar in price and fun would be an M2 but the G87 is heinous.

Tough choices to make here.
same boat as you, g87 isn't the best looking, or favorite sounding... just gonna enjoy my a91 mt till I make a decision, i would love a carrera t, that would be idea but a little out of budget haha

Eastwood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra 3.0 MT - Stratosphere.
Has anyone done the clutch delay valve delete?

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra
Does anyone have an idea what's causing this? Synchro rev match maybe?
Sponsored