First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.vtune.us
Car(s)
Subaru STi, VR30, S55 M3, GOLF R, Supra A90
I've had the Stage 1 OTS tune from bootmod3 and have loved every minute of it. However I'm due for service/oil change soon and this being my first tuned car I'm not exactly sure what to do. I assume the safest option would be to flash the car back to the stock map before taking it in to avoid any potential issues? I just worry not telling them to do updates they might forget and do it anyways which I assume would cause some trouble?
When the car comes in for service they aren't looking to see if it's tuned, they are just checking if it has the latest update.

They will most likely flash over it.

If they do we can unlock the ECU to work with BM3 again, or switch to EcuTek

John
Sponsored

Rhafiki

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
When the car comes in for service they aren't looking to see if it's tuned, they are just checking if it has the latest update.

They will most likely flash over it.

If they do we can unlock the ECU to work with BM3 again, or switch to EcuTek

John
Oh nice okay that's more reassuring. So maybe this is me not understanding but with BM3 I was under the impression that flashing their OTS tunes unlocks the ECU then applies their tune. Would that not be the case if say I take it to the dealership, they flash over my current tune which locks the ECU, and then I go home and apply the Stage 1 tune again?

OP
OP

visconti

Silver Sponsor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.vtune.us
Car(s)
Subaru STi, VR30, S55 M3, GOLF R, Supra A90
Oh nice okay that's more reassuring. So maybe this is me not understanding but with BM3 I was under the impression that flashing their OTS tunes unlocks the ECU then applies their tune. Would that not be the case if say I take it to the dealership, they flash over my current tune which locks the ECU, and then I go home and apply the Stage 1 tune again?
All the ECU's are "locked", the dealer flash update simply blocks the .way we get into the ecu, preventing us from unlocking OBD Programming for non-OEM tunes.

If your ECU gets updated it will have the latest update which no one knows how to OBD Unlock.

This is where our unlock services comes into play, you mail us your ecu and we unlock it on the bench using special tools.

Let me know if you have anymore questions

Nocturnal LE

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Can get one of these covers, put tape over the obd II port, and/or ask to speak to tech and tell them not to flash.

703EEC0D-036C-4184-8384-EAB143165CB6.jpeg

Camus

First Name
Daniel.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra , 2021 M4 Base.
I was looking for this cover, but they will respect your decision? If you tell them not to do so?

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking for this cover, but they will respect your decision? If you tell them not to do so?
I put a piece of Duck tape. I also clearly told them not to update the car and they had me sign a document releasing liability. As far as I know, they didn't mess with my tape.

Rhafiki

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
All the ECU's are "locked", the dealer flash update simply blocks the .way we get into the ecu, preventing us from unlocking OBD Programming for non-OEM tunes.

If your ECU gets updated it will have the latest update which no one knows how to OBD Unlock.

This is where our unlock services comes into play, you mail us your ecu and we unlock it on the bench using special tools.

So I just took my car to Toyota to get it's oil changed and long story short they said because I'm bringing it in for an oil change before the normal 10k mile mark (It's currently at ~8500 miles) they HAVE to hook it up to the OBD and update/clear the maintenance codes and other stuff. As well as said it'd take about 5 hours to do. Not wanting to risk them re-locking the ECU as well as nothing sounding right in this situation I just left and figured I'd do more research or try a different dealership.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
So I just took my car to Toyota to get it's oil changed and long story short they said because I'm bringing it in for an oil change before the normal 10k mile mark (It's currently at ~8500 miles) they HAVE to hook it up to the OBD and update/clear the maintenance codes and other stuff. As well as said it'd take about 5 hours to do. Not wanting to risk them re-locking the ECU as well as nothing sounding right in this situation I just left and figured I'd do more research or try a different dealership.
FYI its X months or Y miles, whichever comes first...
Haven't done my maint yet, so can't speak for how long it'd take dealers to read/clear/update codes...
upload_2020-7-6_12-33-56.png

Rhafiki

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
FYI its X months or Y miles, whichever comes first...
Haven't done my maint yet, so can't speak for how long it'd take dealers to read/clear/update codes...
upload_2020-7-6_12-33-56.png
Yeah I saw that as well but on my previous cars it never mattered if I went by what was recommended so I assumed the same would apply in this case. I was always under the impression that especially on newer cars you always wanted to get it changed sooner than recommended then after first change go on a normal schedule after that.

So I guess it will be okay to just follow the 10k/12 month change cycle?

ET123

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

So historically, how long has it taken for the tuning shops to crack the new versions of encryption for these B58 DMEs? When the car was initially released back in summer 2019, how long did it take to break into that initial software version? Anyone remember who released the first OBD flashable tune and how soon after the car's release?

Is it safe to say that within the next six months, this new version will get cracked? I understand this isn't an exact science, but the tuners must have some sort of R&D methodology developed over the years that they use for everytime the manufacturer releases a new version.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
So just because I was able to install an MHD tune without any formal unlocking procedure does not mean I am immune to being locked in the future by a dealer update, Correct? Also, in my Mustangs it was a simple process for the owner to reset the oil change monitor.through the dash controls. No OBD connection necessary. Is Supra/BMW different?

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I just searched youtube. All the BMW's are reset with dash controls. No OBD.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Does any one have any idea if the below would signify that my ecu is locked? I was looking through the service records that are online and found that the dealer who sold me the car applied some sort of "Software Update" about 2 weeks before I drove the car off the lot. Or maybe it's just to activate w/e they need to do after the car gets state side?

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 6.35.35 PM.png

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How did you find those records?

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
How did you find those records?
Go to Toyota.com > Owners > log in > My Vehicle > Service History. Service records should all be listed there. (I got my first service done on the 9th, it's already listed there).
Sponsored