Dealers suck!

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
Dealers and the people working for them can and often do suck. For sales guys, I think they live in their world of tactics and halve truths for so long that I honestly think they're nose blind.

Classic Supra half-truth -- "every Toyota has one qualified master tech that has gone to BMW school for your Toyota". This is a half-truth. Yes, every Toyota dealership has a master tech trained on your car. But what they don't tell you is the implication of that truth. Toyota's sell a hundred thousand Tacos a year. They only sell about 8000 Supras. That one master tech therefore spends most of his time on Tacos and has only seen your car in the wild maybe once or twice. So to get warranty work you have to get in line to get this one guy, who has vacations and sick kids at home, that may or may not have any real world experience on the car. And the Supra IS a BMW for all practical matters. The Germans have a totally different POV than the Japanese. So your "one qualified master tech" is NOT a selling feature but rather an acute pain in the ass. Lowering the value of your warranty because your likely to give up and go to a BMW dealer to fix it. And the dealer, knowing this in great detail, will gladly sell you an extended warranty.

Practical example? How many spacers on the front suspension are left on because the guy working prep doesn't know about it? I had to go in, explain to the service tech, then show them a picture, and then walk back to the garage and have them lift up the dust boot to see the spacer. Oh, now they ask that one master tech, working on a taco about. "Oh yeah, they have those, they're under the dust thing"

For tactics, every sales guy I know does the slow down routine. More time I have invested in the purchase the more likely I am to not walk away. I'm 48 gosh darn years old. I know what I want. I know roughly price, interest, TTL. Why do you have to walk to your dang sales manager to talk about god knows what?? And no, I don't want to walk out of the dealer just to find another dude more than happy to waste a couple hours of my life in this stupid dance.

Don't confuse compliance and acceptance.

So yeah, most dealers suck.
Sponsored

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
For that , I’m sorry, there are a very few of us that are good, maybe 1-3 out of 1,689,741,765 of us in America…
Wait... when did this happen?!? We're bigger than India and China now? Suddenly all those "firm price deals" that magically increased by $3K-$5K on the way to sign papers are making a lot more sense!

🤣🤣🤣

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
Wait... when did this happen?!? We're bigger than India and China now? Suddenly all those "firm price deals" that magically increased by $3K-$5K on the way to sign papers are making a lot more sense!

🤣🤣🤣
That's the worst. Literally have the deal in writing and you arrive to find out they're scamming you.

I'll agree with Goldeneye that it's not 100% of the salesmen, but damn at least 90% lie through their teeth on every sale. And his reaction to what I said about them indicates which bucket he probably falls into, but who knows for sure.

Says everything that the dealerships are actually fighting this

https://www.consumerreports.org/con...-target-shady-car-dealer-tactics-a4404095772/

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
What a very interesting thread to read through.

My dealership experience when buying a car have been great. Every one. By FAR the best dealership experience I have had was with a Porsche dealer in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I want to buy a Porsche from them again just to experience it all over again lol.

Don't ask me what I think of fast food "restaurants" and their drive-throughs, though... ;)

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
restaurants
According to MW: a business establishment where meals or refreshments may be purchased

I don't think you needed the quotes. ;)

Edit before people tell me to fuck off: Yeah- I know I'm being a dick. I'm just being a dick to be a dick. We all know what you're saying.

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
According to MW: a business establishment where meals or refreshments may be purchased

I don't think you needed the quotes. ;)

Edit before people tell me to fuck off: Yeah- I know I'm being a dick. I'm just being a dick to be a dick. We all know what you're saying.
I totally expected this from you

• Haha
Reactions: zrk

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
I grew up around car dealerships, had family in management at Honda, Acura and Lexus.

Of all of the salesmen that I ever met, only about 4 of them were decent people who had staying power. The rest were transient garbage who I wouldn't even want delivering my daily newspaper.

Before COVID I would deal completely online with folks and by the time I showed up everything was already done - I would just inspect the car and sign the papers.

I really wonder what is going to happen with Ford trying to change some of the dealership rules by trying to sell direct to customer through a dealership, its going to be interesting.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I grew up around car dealerships, had family in management at Honda, Acura and Lexus.

Of all of the salesmen that I ever met, only about 4 of them were decent people who had staying power. The rest were transient garbage who I wouldn't even want delivering my daily newspaper.
100% agree here. My father was in car sales for pretty much his whole life before he passed. He was kind of a mediocre one because he wasn't a sleazy asshole. He sold much less than the others, but he would stay at the same dealer for years because he created actual relationships with people.

One thing he did do that has been invaluable to me is that he showed me all the tricks and mind games that sleazy sales and finance people would do to customers.

When I was looking for a Supra, I had one salesman try to pull the "take a seat right here and I'll find that car you where interested in". Then came the sales manager, then the salesman again saying they didn't have the car anymore even though I literally saw it sitting in the back. I stood up, told him it was right there in the back and I knew exactly what game they where playing. Thanked them and walked out. I don't have time for that BS crap.

Ended up finding the exact Supra I wanted online, two states over. Called them up, spoke for 10 minutes, they sent the documents via fedex, I signed them and two days later the Supra was a on a truck headed my way. Easy peasy.
Sponsored