Dealers suck!

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
So we go to a Toyota dealership to start to look for my kids first car, and sitting out there on the lot is a new supra. So I asked the guy how much was that being sold for and he tells me $68k! I literally laughed out loud, and he told me that’s what they’re going for, and I said dude, I have one they’re $57k - $58k all dat long, are y’all just trying to gouge people now just because you can?” And he looked at me as if he”d been caught red-handed!

My dad used to say that car salesman were just one step above thieves, in this day and age I think the thief might be more honorable at least he has the decency to try to steal it from you when you’re not there because he knows what he’s doing is wrong these guys just don’t care at all!

rant over.
Sponsored

Count Mackula

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
Oh they are THE WORST! I’ve one car salesman that wasn’t a total schmuck in my entire life. Some Asian dude in Acura Claremont Ca about in 2005. He didn’t try haggle you or anything. He was pretty cool.

My worst was Infiniti in riverside. (Don’t ever go there people in California… in fact, why even buy an Infiniti/Nissan?)
And then you have the vultures in Centennial Toyota in Las Vegas. I felt so dirty when I left that dealership. I made the mistake of taking my car back there to have them fix my battery and Joy Ride my car for about 10 miles I think. Used a full line on the gas meter when I filled it up.

JTN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow
Before I put in my deposit I shopped a few local dealers. Those who actually had a Supra (or in one case multiple Supras) in stock were pretty proud of them, and the typical "market adjustment" I was seeing was around 3k (plus several dealer installed options, paint protection films, undercoating, overcoating, etc.). And the common response from the salesmen was usually "that's the price take it or leave it, we'll just sell it to the next guy".

One place even did the old dealer markup-markdown "I'm giving you a sweetheart deal" dance where they marked UP the Supra like 10k then pretend to "cut 7k off the top out the door" just for you because they like you basically making it the exact same overinflated price everyone else was asking.

Then I found a dealer who had zero Supras in stock but said "we'll put in an allocation preference for as close to what you want that we can find for MSRP, no markup" and I put my deposit down and I'll wait. My guess is my preference will become a 2023.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I mean they are running a business. Can you blame them if they can get away with it? With all the costing going up. It sucks but it is what it is. I got my brand new one for $49k before taxes and fees back in the end of 2019…

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
We’ll see how these thieves fair with the interest-rates starting to jump.
Except those same dealerships make their money now majority from the in-house financing. If anything, now they can double dip by artificially manipulating supply (and markups) as well as raking in crazy money on interest.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
It’s not about supply and demand that’s what they just tell you if you look at the last couple years they’ve car dealerships have made more money than they ever have. It’s just greed.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/07/dealerships-fetching-record-profits-from-new-vehicle-sales/

We’ll see how these thieves fair with the interest-rates starting to jump.
Oh it's definitely greed... but the opportunities for that greed are almost exclusively supply and demand based. Even on relatively pedestrian models, let alone something with as limited a supply as a new MKV. Tried to see a new Lexus NX when we were last there for service on my wife's RX... none available, so the "sales pitch" was literally: "Order what you want and wait 6 months... take it or leave it." That was for the base model... naturally the wait list for an NX450+ is more like 18 months with tons of orders already and very limited dealer allocations.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What do I do? Not sure that it matters but I’m an architect and own my firm with 2 other partners and have a staff of 23.

And before you ask, yes of course we work for profit, but what we never do is gouge our clients, never even when times are great, especially when times are great, because the majority of repeat business comes from previous clients we worked with and that’s pretty common in this industry, not to mention its ethically dubious.

greed is greed no matter how you slice it

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
What do I do? Not sure that it matters but I’m an architect and own my firm with 2 other partners and have a staff of 23.

And before you ask, yes of course we work for profit, but what we never do is gouge our clients, never even when times are great, especially when times are great, because the majority of repeat business comes from previous clients we worked with and that’s pretty common in this industry.

greed is greed no matter how you slice it
There are dealerships around the country that sell for MSRP. Place an order, wait for an allocation, fly down and drive it home (or transport it).

There’s a whole thread IIRC for dealerships that sell at MSRP

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That’s a good point!

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
True, but unfortunately sometimes you have to wade through 10 pounds of crap to find the diamond.
Sponsored