Did the Sport Z just kill off the Supra 2.0?

Elektro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 i3 94ah, 22 Supra 2.0
Good looking - highly questionable, I think it looks like garbage from the front personally, the back does look nice though

Low monthly payments - 400 hp without a limited slip is fucking stupid, and if you want a limited slip you're paying more or less the same price as a 3.0 Supra for a slower, heavier car with a terrible interior. I honestly don't see what the point of the Z is.
I don't like the way the Z looks either particularly the front (have not seen in person, so what do I know) but if the car buying public reads enough articles in Road and Driver or Consumer Reports or most especially You Tube, that say it looks good, they will trust the news more than their own eyes.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
If you can get one for MSRP I think the sport Z is a better starting point. Upgraded brakes, aftermarket wheels & LSD and you're probably still under the loaded 2.0 price tag.

Chgu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2013 FR-S
2.0 is a better car all the way around.
I agree from an overall perspective. It's been said before, but the base Z really is for people who are either going to mod it immediately, or don't understand what it's lacking. Those narrower tires, lack of LSD, and relatively affordability are probably going to make it the next Mustang in terms of hunting crowds and finding the nearest pole/tree. I can already hear people complaining that the traction control and electronic nannies are the problem.

And you know, I did my time in cheap interiors, and I don't really want to go back. If the Supra had the Toyota infotainment and interior, I wouldn't have bought it. I was interested because it was a BMW in disguise, for much cheaper than an actual BMW. Even if it is the older version of iDrive, there's so much you can do with it, and I actually really like how integrated the whole system is with the car.

So same goes for the 2.0, I'd rather have it than a car where there were a lot of corners cut in favor of throwing more power at it. Not all of us live a quarter mile at a time 🤷‍♂️

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I don't believe it will kill it off, if it does stop being made its not because of the Z.

I think what killed it was the 4cyl. If Toyota wanted a more entry level Supra, they should've done what Nissan did, same engine and trans setups, but make it as bare bones as possible. no lsd, no leather, no radar assisted stuff, no active exhaust, just a bare bones 3.0. That I believe would've sold.

I base my thoughts on how the base mustang sales. Many people want the lightest most bare bones car possible to do race car shit with.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I don't believe it will kill it off, if it does stop being made its not because of the Z.

I think what killed it was the 4cyl. If Toyota wanted a more entry level Supra, they should've done what Nissan did, same engine and trans setups, but make it as bare bones as possible. no lsd, no leather, no radar assisted stuff, no active exhaust, just a bare bones 3.0. That I believe would've sold.

I base my thoughts on how the base mustang sales. Many people want the lightest most bare bones car possible to do race car shit with.
Like the 4 cylinder Mustang??

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet

This! I have said in the past that they should have kept the 332hp B58 around as a base model. Give it the spring suspension, mechanical diff, manual seats from the 2.0, and call it a day.

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
If you want the better looking, better built, more luxurious A/T… Supra 2.0 all day long. The new Z is supposedly like 400 pounds more than the 2.0, which is substantial.

Now, more than ever, a dedicated 2.0 owner needs to focus on handling and weight reduction mods over power gains (aside from DP & tune).

That being said, the internet claims the Z’s M/T is its appeal. So if you want a stick, there’s only one available choice out of the 2.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Like the 4 cylinder Mustang??
like the 35k base A10 GT, no one claims the 4cyl Mustangs either.

I know people hype our Supra up, But nothing beats the Coyote as far as speed for the price. A base GT at 35k, a whipple or twins kit and some tires and axles with a fuel system still comes in under 50k and can run high 7's

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
As I have said in the countless Z vs Supra threads... the majority of people are going to daily these base entry-level models. Both have their plus and minus. I have a feeling that a majority of buyers will be drawn to the Z's bigger engine displacement and HP. This is America after all... It also isn't helping that the 2.0 is selling at a piss poor rate.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
Just curious....what's the sales split between the 2.0 and the 3.0? I'm guessing that the 2.0 is a pretty low percentage.
Sponsored