Did the Sport Z just kill off the Supra 2.0?

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
Good idea.

1652847608379.png

These are the two part numbers for diffs for Supras. WAA05 is the eLSD in the 3.0 Variant. As you can see, it says "WITH(LSD)". The other is WAA07, and does not mention LSD.
Wait... so the elsd is also cheaper than the open diff? Lol

Back on topic, I think 2.0 depends heavily on where you live. For 90% of my normal driving, the 3.0 is just wasted. I went 3.0 mostly for track stuff, but if I didn't do that it would have been a harder sell.
Sponsored

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
What are your thoughts on this article? https://www.roadblazing.com/2021-toyota-supra-gr-2-0t-re-driven-on-mass-piston-diet/

According to the above, its a worm gear limited slip differential.

RB_2021_Toyota_Supra_GR_2.0T_wheels_rr_L_LSD_004c.jpg
BMW does not have a Torsen/Helical diff in its part catalogue. And Toyota does not make any of the mechanical components in this car. BMW's only mechanical LSD option is the M-Performance Clutch Type diff. So it would be impossible for this car to have a "worm gear type" LSD

saik

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium Tungsten
After spending the last couple of years listening to the hype, and watching it fail in almost every head to head competition on youtube so far, it's almost embarrassing that the only thing left to argue about is that "it's cheaper". Even though it really isn't, at least in Canada.

1652888487930.png

Even today, an article is out saying it "undercuts" the 3.0L Supra by 20k in Canada. Except they leave out the fact that if you match the features that the 3.0L comes standard with, you'd have to buy the Proto Spec 9AT to be roughly equal.

In the end they come out almost identical in price.

They had a 3 year advantage to make a better car, in the end it's another bean counter war.
And that's only when comparing features. Cheaper quality interior and a 15 year old chassis.

The more I think about it, the base should have been $35K and the perf $45K USD. Then it would be a true undercut of the Supra.

Roman

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR B48
And that's only when comparing features. Cheaper quality interior and a 15 year old chassis.

The more I think about it, the base should have been $35K and the perf $45K USD. Then it would be a true undercut of the Supra.
that is what I was hoping for when they said it was going to be under $40k, I thought that the very base model would be $35k or so and with perfomance being closer to $45k

instead, and I can't blame them, Nissan is trying to milk this cow like crazy because they saw all the fanboys go "its all Nissan yay! shutup and take my money!"

eventually I am going to have both, but I'm getting my 3.0 in Nitro Yellow first, and maybe a Z couple years down the road "slightly used"

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
LMAO, so the 2.0 has an open diff as well... I still wouldn't get one, but $40k for a base Z now doesn't seem that bad. :lol:

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
After spending the last couple of years listening to the hype, and watching it fail in almost every head to head competition on youtube so far, it's almost embarrassing that the only thing left to argue about is that "it's cheaper". Even though it really isn't, at least in Canada.

1652888487930.png

Even today, an article is out saying it "undercuts" the 3.0L Supra by 20k in Canada. Except they leave out the fact that if you match the features that the 3.0L comes standard with, you'd have to buy the Proto Spec 9AT to be roughly equal.

In the end they come out almost identical in price.

They had a 3 year advantage to make a better car, in the end it's another bean counter war.
Like how the A90 got it's ass handed to it by the Cayman in every review? ;)

Right... but this thread is talking about the 2.0 vs base Z. Stay on topic boys. :rofl:

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
There is just no way to satisfy this demographic. Just a bunch of whiners when we all know the size of their wallet is the root of the problem.

I know it is for me.. so I just take what the manufactures provide with gratitude. The 3.0L Premium for under $60K.. absolutely love my GR Supra. Same for my other 4 banger turbo's.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Less would be nice, but with inflation and the current market, I don't think $40k is outrageous for a sport Z. The 86 and BRZ are almost $30k cars.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Like how the A90 got it's ass handed to it by the Cayman in every review? ;)
But but but everyone was saying at the time that the Supra is cheaper and has two extra cylinders. Oh wait, where have we heard that line before? 😂

On a serious note, Guff spent a whole week with one. Not to mention that he is super knowledgeable on the topic. Most of you guys that are second-guessing him probably haven't even driven one, but hey you read it from the internet so it must be true. Never mind all the B48 owners saying that their car has an open diff... 🤣

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
I think the Supra 2.0 will survive, there is still a strong market for it in other countries who are taxed to death on the 3.0 because of environmental sanctions.

-RJM
yes in places like Europe no doubt. its worth noting that Nissan is not bringing the Z to the EU. however, in the US i think the 2.0 is going to be a tougher sell.

mboret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
But but but everyone was saying at the time that the Supra is cheaper and has two extra cylinders. Oh wait, where have we heard that line before? 😂

On a serious note, Guff spent a whole week with one. Not to mention that he is super knowledgeable on the topic. Most of you guys that are second-guessing him probably haven't even driven one, but hey you read it from the internet so it must be true. Never mind all the B48 owners saying that their car has an open diff... 🤣
Are you saying the B48 does NOT have an open diff?!