Did they make the new builds quieter? Just got mine. No crackles.

OP
OP
wtf

wtf

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
500hp 97 TT 6sp Aero, 800hp 98 GTX3584 6sp hardtop, 1000hp 92 R32GTR, 1300hp VR41 GT86, 600hp RB26 180SX, 1000hp R35GTR, 400hp SR20 AE86...
I noticed we don't have the exhaust particulate filter either.

Was the actual volume of the cars at the press louder, or just the crackles?

I've already bought the stainless to delete the centre cat :p
From what I recall it's mostly the decel crackles and downshift.

The only way I assume that can be recovered is with the USA tune :|
Sponsored

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
When starting the vehicle cold, even if in sport mode, you won’t get much for crackles (even when reving it). Which is the opposite of most other cars that give some of their best noise on a cold start-up.

I am guessing it is part of BMW cold-start program, that, I believe, is set to warm up the cats, cause less pollution or something like that...
The way BMW programs it on M-sport/M models is that the valves are fully open on startup and you get the full loud roar. Sounds cool, but can be inappropriate at times, so I have mixed opinions about this. After the start, then they close one of the valves to help the engine warm up faster. You can override that by going into sport or sport+ which opens both valves back up.

084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
08 4Runner / 99’ Lexus LX470 / Deposit 2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
The way BMW programs it on M-sport/M models is that the valves are fully open on startup and you get the full loud roar. Sounds cool, but can be inappropriate at times, so I have mixed opinions about this. After the start, then they close one of the valves to help the engine warm up faster. You can override that by going into sport or sport+ which opens both valves back up.
Which is different than the Supra. Only 2 drive modes and no crackles until the idle has settled even if in sport mode.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
Crackles are a different story, that is not really related to the startup roar or the exhaust valves. They are controlling the crackles via the engine's fuel/ignition map and a lot of that is intentional, for sound effects.

scolaiw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
See signature
I have discovered some more interesting facts. Assuming the Aus spec is the same as the JDM spec, this HKS exhaust development video states the internal structure of the muffler is different as well as the valve control compared to the US spec cars.

Also, I think your recent video Mark confirms the valve control is very different.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
100%. Aussie valve operates completely differently - and the rear mufflers are a different part number to USA.

Otherwise, the exhaust is US spec - so Au is kind of a mix between US and Eu spec.

Anyone in US want to send me a rear muffler, for testing?

DioParker

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fame-usa.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra 3.0 Prem, 2019 Toyota Sienna LTD Prem
Perhaps not much insight, but ...

1. My USA model - 3.0 Premium - was built in November, 2019 and it crackles perfectly well. But ...

2. It only crackles when the car is in 'Sport' mode, on the center console, and does not crackle in 'Normal' mode.
(BTW, mine is yellow, also. That color rocks!)

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
Mine is the same as the Aussie one

I have BM3 stage 2 tune, the flap still operates exactly the same as Marks one.

IIRC the part number on the muffler is different to the USA one.

I'm concerned that if I get a valved exhaust like the Boost Logic one from the States it won't operate correctly as our valves work differently ?

I'm also concerned if I get an unvalved like AWE or Boost Logic will it be too loud ???

scolaiw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
See signature
Mine is the same as the Aussie one

I have BM3 stage 2 tune, the flap still operates exactly the same as Marks one.

IIRC the part number on the muffler is different to the USA one.

I'm concerned that if I get a valved exhaust like the Boost Logic one from the States it won't operate correctly as our valves work differently ?

I'm also concerned if I get an unvalved like AWE or Boost Logic will it be too loud ???
Given Mark’s video basically identifies that our valves are open all the time and the sport mode adds crackles, I assume having a valved aftermarket muffler just means that you will have a loud exhaust in both comfort and sport. It’s still a good idea to keep the valve so that on cold starts you can warm up the cat and engine faster though.

KingTai

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
This may sound dumb but I'm jealous that I don't have footwell lights and glove compartment lights from the AU models.:lol: Still wondering if It's plug n play if I buy those parts from Toyota AU or UK. I'm not used to how dark the interior of the car is at night compared to my past vehicles.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
This may sound dumb but I'm jealous that I don't have footwell lights and glove compartment lights from the AU models.:lol: Still wondering if It's plug n play if I buy those parts from Toyota AU or UK. I'm not used to how dark the interior of the car is at night compared to my past vehicles.
It's not plug and play.

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
My ME spec valves logic is like this:

Valves during Comfort are always open when standstill (Sport only adds crackles) and close at 2nd gear when driving. Valves in Sport are always open with crackles and only close at highway speeds

Noticed that the US spec cars whilst at standstill, valves open and close on the push of the "Sport" button

Just like regular valved exhaust systems. My previous F80 M3 also behaved the same way (Sport will open valves)

Can anyone confirm this for US spec?

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
It’s official. The exhaust has been neutered for 2021.

greens

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 GTI / 2019 MX-5 Club / 1978 911SC
Thank God they got rid of that garbage. One of the first things I was going to try and do when I get my 2021 is tune out the pops and bangs. Can't stand that shit. One of the worst trends to come about in the last ten years.

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
The 2021 is still louder than my non US 2020

At least you can hear the exhaust note change when you hit the sport button even at idle

Looks like I can change that with BM3, a job for the weekend :)
Sponsored