Advertisement

Exclusive: Manual-Equipped Toyota Supra Is Finally Coming From EAG

Discussion in 'B58 6-Cyl Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Bolt-Ons' started by gymratter, Aug 13, 2019.

?

Are you going to do the manual transmission swap?

1. Yes definitely

8.1%
  2. Maybe

16.2%
  3. No I love my ZF

32.4%
  4. No Not worth it

43.2%
  1. Bosstee

Bosstee Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bastian
    Car(s):
    A90 Supra
    Liked:
    Just watched the first three parts. Definitely respect the work they’re putting into it and that they’re taking us along by uploading videos of the process.

That said, I must say they’re really milking the BMW joke....reminds me of dad trying to be funny.

antonio88x, Viselord and mas921 like this.
  2. A70TTR

A70TTR Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
    Liked:
    Engineering liaison
    Also confused as to why they didn't order the 4cyl pedal box from the G29... It's been available since July in the EU afaik.

3. s219

s219 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Doc
    Car(s):
    BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Honda S2000
    Liked:
    Agree, I was wondering the same thing.

A70TTR likes this.
  4. mkivalex

mkivalex Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Car(s):
    1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
    Liked:
    Also wondered the same thing...

Looks like a very easy swap, To be honest i am surprised its taken this long to have a car with a manual. Looks like a swap that could be done in a weekend in the garage.

A70TTR likes this.
  5. absaifan

absaifan Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ahmed
    Car(s):
    Mkv Supra, MKIV 2jz-gte, Q7, FJ Cruiser
    Liked:
    X2 respect, it would be good to see a manual in there to support guys who can't live without one.

But honestly, having gone through a dozen of sports cars with manuals, the supra trans is just brilliant, It has the best of both worlds outta the box. I'd be more interested in extra cooling, perhaps beefier internals to ensure it can handle some abuse rather than going back to a stick.

This tyranny shifts great and is fun to drive, great downshift in sport mode to keep you Rev happy without the clutch sore ankle from driving in traffic, specially with a heavy duty or double plate clutch etc etc..

6. johnny_10196

johnny_10196 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    Ford
    Liked:

KahnBB6 and DesmoSD like this.
  7. supraboi

supraboi Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Vu
    Car(s):
    GS300
    Liked:
  8. vb22

vb22 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    SC300
    Liked:
  9. digicidal

digicidal Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
    Liked:
    #39 Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Yeah... because a factory manual option always costs $12K more than an auto option... well, with the exception of almost every car ever made. :crazy:
    Even it Toyota had wanted to gouge for the sake of profit-taking (or perceived prestige) I doubt it would have been more than about $1,500 as an option - and possibly many would have purchased one that are instead looking elsewhere.

That being said, there's a huge difference (even if it were the same price) between paying ~$70K for a car with exactly the configuration you wanted and a full factory warranty - vs. paying ~$12K more to lose that warranty. Add in all the problems everyone has now trying to get even out-of-pocket work done at any Toyota dealership... and I don't see much joy to be had.

Maybe if my transmission is in need of rebuilding anyway, I'm already long out of warranty, and yet somehow the rest of the drivetrain is still running perfectly... then I'd definitely consider it (but they probably won't be doing it any longer or will want much more for a one-off job). :(

Of course, you could spend a bit more and just buy a lightly used BRZ as well... and have a slightly less rewarding experience rowing gears without affecting the resale, warranty or drivability of the MKV at all. :hmm:

Seriously though... I really expect Toyota to release a Supra with a manual 6-speed... but only with the 4-cylinder engine - because that's exactly the kind of pro-level trolling they've been pulling for years with their Lexus brand!