Exhaust rattle?

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
I bought a Remus axle back race exhaust like 7 weeks ago. After a couple of weeks I started to hear it to rattle when I drove in low gears, this only happened once or twice and then it never came back, it was just for a brief moment, so I never thought of it after that.
2 weeks ago, I removed the OPF and tuned the car. Approx. 1 week after this I heard a loud metallic sound in the car and panicked. But there were no problems with the car and no CEL...nothing at all, so obviously I just forgot about that too.
A couple of days after that the exhaust started to rattle only when it gets hot, but it happens almost every day now. I can only hear it in low gears, and pretty low speed (sometimes I can hear it in the cabin but only for a short moment and in certain rpms). Now I can almost hear it all the time after like 30-45 min of driving (especially if im driving more aggressive and it gets hotter).

The problem with this is that both times when I drove it to a workshop, the problem goes away, probably because the exhaust cools off. I even tried today to drive it hard before and when I went into the workshop, I still couldnt hear it. Probably it wasnt hot enough. But after a 30-35 min drive home, the sound came back.....ofc ?

Im pretty damn sure its something inside the muffler but what do you guys think? I cannot see anything else under the car that can rattle, and i've tried to shake other things to produce the sound.

Is this the muffler or could it be something else that can produce this sound? Why does it only sound when it gets hotter? ?

Here's a clip of some revving where you can hear the rattle:

And here's a clip of me trying to shake the exhaust to see whats rattling. You can hear something loose near / inside the muffler but im not 100 % sure exactly where it is. No other pipe is touching eachother.

Sponsored

KellyJoe

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Mine started touching the cross brace after a DP and tune.... Had to shim it down away from exhaust pipe w/ some thick washers. :thumbsup:

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
Is Remus an valved exhaust? The only rattles i've read about on the forums are typically from the valves at idle or low RPM. Other than that, like KellyJoe mentioned, you may want to make absolutely sure you have good clearance everywhere.

OP
OP
Tri5tate

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
Mine started touching the cross brace after a DP and tune.... Had to shim it down away from exhaust pipe w/ some thick washers. :thumbsup:
yeah we actually bent that bar to make sure the pipes aren’t touching it and while they are close it’s not close enough to touch. I mean, yeah it expands after it gets hot but still, there’s some space there. But I guess I have to double check it, although I sounds more like it’s coming from the back.

Is Remus an valved exhaust? The only rattles i've read about on the forums are typically from the valves at idle or low RPM. Other than that, like KellyJoe mentioned, you may want to make absolutely sure you have good clearance everywhere.
Yeah, it is a valved exhaust. I first thought of the valve as well but the rattle only comes on at high temp and steady driving for a while, and we also tried to shake the valve and see if it’s loose - but nothing. It might still be a chance that it’s the valve but I doubt it. Or maybe it expands and touching something when it gets hot.

Very high probability that it's that stupid worthless cross brace underneath. Mine rattled there, so I just chucked that shit in the bin.
Yeah I guess I should still double check that shit ?

Last edited:

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
My active autowerkes exhaust rattles exactly like how you are describing yours. It's hitting that cross member brace like others have said. I just haven't had a chance to install thicker washers for that brace.

OP
OP
Tri5tate

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
My active autowerkes exhaust rattles exactly like how you are describing yours. It's hitting that cross member brace like others have said. I just haven't had a chance to install thicker washers for that brace.
Ok so maybe it isnt my Remus system? Although I actually heard the rattle once BEFORE i switched to the milltek OPF delete. The OEM pipe is flatter so its not touching the bar, so it couldn't have sounded. Im not saying it isn't the bar, its just that it happened once or twice before even switching the mid pipe.

Also, we bent that bar a bit to create more clearence. We also checked the underside and it was never really that close.
But I guess I'll have to drive it really hot and then quickly into a workshop ?

OP
OP
Tri5tate

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
? It may not be the bar, but your description and the second video is exactly what mine sounds like.
Either way, I'm going to Toyota to figure it out this weekend. ?

Andrew__a90

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium Nitro Yellow
Hey! Installed a AWE Track Exhaust and having the same rattle on acceleration, what was the fix? Taking it to the shop that installed it today

OP
OP
Tri5tate

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
Hey! Installed a AWE Track Exhaust and having the same rattle on acceleration, what was the fix? Taking it to the shop that installed it today
I don't really know what part that made it rattle. Either way its probably not the same part on your exhaust since you have a different brand.

I got a new one from Remus, luckily. Now it sounds good.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
I don't really know what part that made it rattle. Either way its probably not the same part on your exhaust since you have a different brand.

I got a new one from Remus, luckily. Now it sounds good.
Sorry to revive an old thread. I bought an ARK DT-S Exhaust a few months ago and installed an Active Autowerks catted downpipe over the weekend. Now I hear rattling while at low rpms or idling. Do you think it's the cross bar?

OP
OP
Tri5tate

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
Sorry to revive an old thread. I bought an ARK DT-S Exhaust a few months ago and installed an Active Autowerks catted downpipe over the weekend. Now I hear rattling while at low rpms or idling. Do you think it's the cross bar?
Hard to tell, but in my case it was the actual exhaust, in fact the silencer in the back of the car.
The cross bar in the middle also created some noises but they were more clunky metal noises sometimes when you drove over a pot hole, not constant rattle when in certain rpms and so on.

Rattle can come from so many places so the boring answer is just to try to locate it.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
Hard to tell, but in my case it was the actual exhaust, in fact the silencer in the back of the car.
The cross bar in the middle also created some noises but they were more clunky metal noises sometimes when you drove over a pot hole, not constant rattle when in certain rpms and so on.

Rattle can come from so many places so the boring answer is just to try to locate it.
Got it. Yeah and this just happened after I installed the downpipe so I'm sure the downpipe installation moved the entire exhaust system enough to start the rattle.

BrettMRC

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, Defender, Rx400h
My Akrapovic rattles briefly on startup... not worked out if its the valve or the sleeves yet.
The fact yours is doing it when hot has to be an expansion issue - check for length as well as clearance on height.
Sponsored