From an Auto Launch Edition to a Manual A91: A Review

Ryanthetemp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Past: E28 M5, E24 M6, E30 325is
I had a 2020 launch edition when these first came out, got mine the day they were “released” July 22nd 2019 for those that remember Toyota just hoarding these at port till they were cleared! I loved the heck out of that black LE, it was like the Batmobile and everyone treated it like so. Long story short I sold to a member here reluctantly and have been waiting till the day I could get back into one. I always said if the manual came it was happening with or without my wife’s support lol. So 3 plus years later I’m back, that silly little “what did you do to your Supra today” thread I started still dons my old E28 M5 avatar at the top of the thread-every time I open this site and it just brings the biggest smile to my face….glad I was apart of the beginning of this community.

On to the manual…..I thought I would be picking up where I left off with the 20’ LE but that isn’t the case surprisingly. I’m having to fall in love with the car all over again….which I’m respecting the process for what it is. My last manual was a gated Mondial T Ferrari, talk about a lot of work and effort to shift. The Supra is insanely lighter and kinda threw me for a loop, as I’ve never owned a modern manual, just old 80s M cars with leg presses for a clutch. I guess I was expecting more drama from the manual Supra engagement points in the transaction of a shift. But no drama isn’t necessarily a bad thing, the car makes up for it in poise. In a perfect word I would have both the auto and manual. I love both for different reasons. The auto for its split personality in sport mode when it senses I want to play and will hold an aggressive gearing and then revert back when it senses I’m done with the throttle. With the manual I’m obviously doing it myself, but feel like an asshole for holding my gearing so long. The auto begged for it, the manual is just compliant and willing. That’s the drama I was used to and it all felt very sinister with the sound to complement in the LE auto.

While the pops and bangs are still here in the manual, they are much more muted and require a decent amount of effort to get by hand. Maybe it’ll get louder with miles, LE auto was perfect at the time.

Steering and rear-end definitely feels more confident over the LE. I can’t wait to see what a more aggressive alignment does.

The color is growing on me. I was hoping it would be more a slate gray or something of the Porsche brew. I just can’t get pass the rental MX-5 I had with that polymetal gray, the color looks just like that in the shade. Direct sunlight does the most justice to CU Later. I do miss my Nocturnal black, it just fit the sinister nature of that car so well.

All in all I’m happy I got the manual. I think it would be who of me to drive more modern manuals to get a comparison of what’s out there these days to compare this to. Here’s a picture next to my buddy’s IS 500 from today.
P.S. would KILL to see this color on the Supra one day…
0CA64C54-D306-4E2C-BFA6-7984C6FE97F7.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
Nice write up!

It'll be interesting to see which car holds value better in the future, Manual Supra or the IS500

S2k2mk5

First Name
Umer
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Cu Later A91MT, 2004 S2K 2007 S2K
Same transition taking place here, traded in the LE at Ed Martin Toyota and awaiting the Manual!

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
That V8 is so intoxicating at full song. I know which one I’d put my money on!
I have an IS-F...they are already starting to creep up in value before the Pandemic, now good quality ones are in the 38-40k range!

luv2xlr8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
A thread revival as I am considering trading my ‘21 auto in on a ’23 MT. Looking to hear specifically from folks who have done this, and their thoughts now that they have owned both.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
A thread revival as I am considering trading my ‘21 auto in on a ’23 MT. Looking to hear specifically from folks who have done this, and their thoughts now that they have owned both.
I was at the dealer a bunch this last month, between my Supra needing a new head unit, and picking up my GR Corolla, I took a manual Supra for a drive. The auto (shifted manually with paddles) is better imo. The flat foot shifting is just a never ending rush that you don't get in the manual. The auto is a racecar, the manual a cruiser.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'd like to add to that,

I thought the BMW transmission in the Supra was rubbery and spongy. Driving the manual Supra and the GR Corolla back to back, who's transmission is crisp and notchy like a bolt action rifle, is the better choice. If you're dead set on a manual, get a GR Corolla.

luv2xlr8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I'd like to add to that,

I thought the BMW transmission in the Supra was rubbery and spongy. Driving the manual Supra and the GR Corolla back to back, who's transmission is crisp and notchy like a bolt action rifle, is the better choice. If you're dead set on a manual, get a GR Corolla.
This is one of my considerations... getting another car to go along with the Supra AT. Someone on here has the right idea as well, Supra when you need it, Miata when you wanna row it. I was also thinking about an older Civic Si, 8th or 9th gen. A two car garage might be the answer.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is one of my considerations... getting another car to go along with the Supra AT. Someone on here has the right idea as well, Supra when you need it, Miata when you wanna row it. I was also thinking about an older Civic Si, 8th or 9th gen. A two car garage might be the answer.
It IS the answer 😉
20231005_142047.jpg

TheangryEngineer

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rx7 FD3S, Subaru S202, Impreza V4 sti coupe, st185
I test drove the auto before buying my Manual. At the time I was so co convinced I wanted a manual I ignored the autos abilities completely. I thought the gear changes were epic in auto, but I just thought long term the manual might hold value better.

Looking back, the auto I think suits the car more and as I love speed, it’s also technically quicker (by a small amount).

Can’t help but feel I should have bought an auto (and this is coming from a die hard ‘save the manuals’ guy)!

long term I’ll see how it plays out as I do live the car and doubt I could justify changing it just yet

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Love my manual. Different experience for sure, but I enjoyed the heck out of my auto for 2 years and wanted to stay with the platform but something different. Auto is definitely the better overall car and gives the car a totally different personality. Manual was definitely set up for having fun in a slower way and cruising and rowing gears. I still don't love how slow it revs and still never really got the hang of blipping it perfectly. The auto-rev match does is better than I can. In cars like my Miata or my dad's Viper it is extremely easy to blip and rev match. I am happy with the swap and would do it again, IF I could have both I would, a street setup on the manual, and just make the auto a track car or fast in a straight line. I do think I'm going to move into something with a little more drama and excitement tho, My Emira should be arriving in. a few months or maybe a P car.

mgomz992

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0 Premium (Auto)
Having driven both on a track I love manuals cause haha shifter/clutch go brrrrr but the auto is crisp. I don't regret the auto '23 purchase at all. If I feel like banging gears I have an NB miata for that. I could probably say for a fact that the manuals will hold their value for longer (as its historically been the truth with any performance oriented car here in north america) but I don't intend on selling my car at all. Been following MkIV's and the FT-1 concept for as long as I can remember. The only thing that MIGHT get me to reconsider is a S58 option 😅.
Sponsored