Auto vs Manual - Which to Buy?

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
Iā€™ve said this a few times, when I was younger in my 20ā€™s I thought auto was for pussies. Now that Iā€™m old as Ferk Iā€™ll never drive anything but an auto. So I guess itā€™s all about the personā€¦

SupraCess

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 GR Surpa and a turbocharged FRS
Iā€™ve said this a few times, when I was younger in my 20ā€™s I thought auto was for pussies. Now that Iā€™m old as Ferk Iā€™ll never drive anything but an auto. So I guess itā€™s all about the personā€¦
You're never too old for anything, lol.

I'm a car enthusiast. I'll drive whatever version is better for that particular vehicle model and have fun while doing it. It doesn't matter if it is an AT or MT.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Well a few decades ago autos were all dog shit. Things have changed significantly since then, now just most of them are dog shit. The ZF8 is one of the exceptions.

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
My left knee sucks and traffic is terrible where I live. So Iā€™m going auto with my Supra. However, I also will be using it as my daily. If it was purely my fun car Iā€™d take a hard look at trying to find a manual. Speaking of, thatā€™s got to be part of the discussion here. The manuals are much harder to find and wait lists are much longer for them. Iā€™m already losing patience waiting for my car and would probably just move on to something else if it was going to be much longer.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I know this subject has been done to death and we always say the same thing, but I'll reiterate, along with everyone else šŸ˜‚
I bought mine STRICLY as a track toy. As such, I bought AT because it's faster. I already had cars with manual transmissions; didn't need another.
Oddly enough.. I ended up selling one dream car for another, sold my old race car, and now I have ZERO manual cars for the first time since 1994.
It's weird... but what's more weird is that I don't miss having a MT as much as I thought I would. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that modern AT cars are NOTHING like they used to be.
All that said: I think EVERY, SINGLE car enthusiast should do lots and lots and lots of time in MT cars, at some point in their lives.

Last edited:

Suwopra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91
If not for the refraction blue and me falling in love with it, I probably would've waited/gone with a manual. No regrets, though I would like to test drive a manual.

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
My left knee sucks and traffic is terrible where I live. So Iā€™m going auto with my Supra. However, I also will be using it as my daily. If it was purely my fun car Iā€™d take a hard look at trying to find a manual. Speaking of, thatā€™s got to be part of the discussion here. The manuals are much harder to find and wait lists are much longer for them. Iā€™m already losing patience waiting for my car and would probably just move on to something else if it was going to be much longer.
I totally understand the feeling as I went through the same struggle as you Alan. But I will say that now that I have my car, the wait is most definitely worth it. I almost got other cars as I too was becoming impatient. But I stuck it out and Iā€™m really glad I did. So regardless of what transmission you go with, since they are both great, I promise you youā€™ll be happy you didnā€™t let the frustration win.

NocturnalEmber

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The Supra wasn't even on my shopping list until it was offered with a manual box. I've actually been pretty adamant about not owning a car that isn't a manual. Not saying that's the smartest decision economically or the call for everyone, but I'm happy with all of mine only having 3 pedals.

Edit: To put in my .02 cents on the 6MT one, It feels and drives absolutely amazing, I do not regret buying it.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
The whole autos are for pussies thing is an obvious joke but like the Hitler downfall meme, it's fun to keep it alive. I personally can't stand driving an automatic (or clutchless manual for that matter) so like the poster above, without a manual transmission, the Supra was just not on my radar.

Yes automatics have gotten much better. Yes automatics are inherently faster. Yes PDK/DSG/etc. are faster again.

But it's always going to be a no for me. šŸ’ā€ā™‚ļø

PS: I'm not sure an automated safety system (adaptive cruise control) should be considered a factor in deciding between buying an automatic or manual version of a sportscar. This car is about enjoyment and I can't think of a less fun feature.

Last edited:

NocturnalEmber

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The whole autos are for pussies thing is an obvious joke but like the Hitler downfall meme, it's fun to keep it alive. I personally can't stand driving an automatic (or clutchless manual for that matter) so like the poster above, without a manual transmission, the Supra was just not on my radar.

Yes automatics have gotten much better. Yes automatics are inherently faster. Yes PDK/DSG/etc. are faster again.

But it's always going to be a no for me. šŸ’ā€ā™‚ļø
Yeah, I'm not attempting to contest the fact that modern day automatics are more efficient and faster; I think that has been known for awhile now.

When I buy a car though, I'm not looking for the most efficient or fastest shifting transmission. Car buying is all subjective in what people look for, and for me its the connection to the car and being able to work the clutch and change my own gears that provides the best value.

I don't mind trading a few tenths of a second (or more in some cases) for a manual box because I'm not looking for the fastest shifting times. In cases like mine, the automatic detracts from what I see as the value, fun, and driver engagement of a car.

I think automakers are starting to realize this, which is why we are seeing manuals persist or even be added to some models. In the 90's for example, it was generally the base model cars that would be offered with a manual transmission, not the higher trim levels. Whereas today you generally see manuals being offered on higher level trims like the Mazda 3 (we installed the corksport turbo kit on a fully loaded Skyactiv 6MT 2.5 Mazda 3 last year. That car is amazingly fun, too, but thats a post for a different time.)

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
When I buy a car though, I'm not looking for the most efficient or fastest shifting transmission. Car buying is all subjective in what people look for, and for me its the connection to the car and being able to work the clutch and change my own gears that provides the best value.
This.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
PS: I'm not sure an automated safety system (adaptive cruise control) should be considered a factor in deciding between buying an automatic or manual version of a sportscar. This car is about enjoyment and I can't think of a less fun feature.
I don't have this feature, but wish I did. When on the freeway, nobody and I mean NOBODY knows how to drive. I can't use CC because I am constantly coming up on cars that are creeping in the first two lanes, causing me to cancel it until I can find a way around. My freeway drives are usually 2-3hrs, so it gets a bit frustrating šŸ˜‚

I don't mind trading a few tenths of a second (or more in some cases) for a manual box because I'm not looking for the fastest shifting times. In cases like mine, the automatic detracts from what I see as the value, fun, and driver engagement of a car.
There are a lot of us who don't drag race. A really fast no-lift and blip-assisted sequential/paddle/etc trans makes a huge difference on a course where you are shifting up and down numerous times. I love pulling off a flawless heel/toe but I now find myself focusing more on different aspects of a lap than I used to. It's another type of fun and so, so much faster. Maybe part of it is my inner, wannabe F1 or GT car driver status. LOL

And I'll say again: manual is more fun and the best option unless you have a reason to not want it.
Sponsored