Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 MT, 1997 sc300 5 Speed
I wouldn’t say it’s seen as negative. It’s just that the manual is quite literally, objectively and technically inferior to the zf8. Source: manual owner.
that’s ridiculous, 0-60 times and MPG are now where near the only technically relative statistics let alone objectively. The Supra isn’t some elite drag champion, it’s a drivers car. The engagement and smile to mile ratio are vastly more important than any of the sales brochure metrics one can think of. The basic truth is unless you had a weak father who never thought you, your leg blown off in a war or are a female, the manual is objectively and technically superior. That is if you value actually driving.
Sponsored

Marsone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ISF, FRS
that’s ridiculous, 0-60 times and MPG are now where near the only technically relative statistics let alone objectively. The Supra isn’t some elite drag champion, it’s a drivers car. The engagement and smile to mile ratio are vastly more important than any of the sales brochure metrics one can think of. The basic truth is unless you had a weak father who never thought you, your leg blown off in a war or are a female, the manual is objectively and technically superior. That is if you value actually driving.
You’re preaching to the choir lol. Not everyone shares the same sentiment, however. Plenty of people find fast shifting autos fun, I mean every car in imsa is a flappy paddle, minus the Miatas(I think) and any car on the grid would still be a blast to drive for even the purest of manual purists. The zf8 in the Supra is good enough to still be fun.
Additionally, addressing technicality, the zf seems much more robust mechanically, as well.

Again, I’m a manual or bust kind of guy who bought a manual Supra, but the zf8 def deserves its flowers.

SKILMATIC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5
I wouldn’t say it’s seen as negative. It’s just that the manual is quite literally, objectively and technically inferior to the zf8. Source: manual owner.
negative. Inferior by what metric objectively or technically? Because objectively to me the MT is superior in every way minus the faster shifting (but I didn’t buy the Supra to be this insane drag car monster so that point is completely and utterly moot to me).

imho the Supra has and will always be a purist drivers car. And by that metric standard alone the MT is superior in every way. Ticks the box objectively (well at least for me). And technically if I’m not shifting gears in a MT then it’s not as much fun for me at which Point wtf did I buy the car in the first place?

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
My understanding is Toyota has a different size rear diff to match up to the different gear ratios. This could be all in my head but I feel more confident accelerating. The AT was very snappy.
Well MT FDR is different sure for acceleration. Dunno about confidence.. Anyways...

trinidadjames

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MR2
Manual 100%. 90% of people who get auto are folks you don’t want to be friends with or talk to about the car lol. There is about 10% of folksy who will get it. But the majority… you just want to ignore them. Can’t be friends with everyone hahaha.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Manual 100%. 90% of people who get auto are folks you don’t want to be friends with or talk to about the car lol. There is about 10% of folksy who will get it. But the majority… you just want to ignore them. Can’t be friends with everyone hahaha.
I used to be the same way. I would have never thought it possible. Need to add to your post -Friends don’t let friends drive auto Supras on track. This damn ZF Supra stole my childhood 😭 But I do still love her 😝

RayRay69

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Mk5 Legend W204C200K
I bought the automatic, since I got problems with my left leg, and I love the Supra 😍sometimes I wish I got the manual, but when my leg hurts I know it was the right choice😂😃💯

Alecd27

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0 premium
I got a ‘23 auto primarily due to availability and price - one was available on the lot and the dealership gave me a solid deal at the time (probably to make room for a manual that they could mark up lol - this was just when MTs were starting to hit showroom floors).

Considering what’s on sale today, both are excellent options. I haven’t driven the manual myself but people seem to love it relative to bmw MTs. However, I’ve owned/ driven DCT cars and the ZF is easily as good as any of them. I really like the gearing. It’s engaging when you use the paddles. The snappy shifts give the engine nice character. We should all just be happy both exist in 2023 & buy what we like. Neither is necessarily better than the other, just different for people with different tastes/preferences. For my money & preferences, I’d take a good deal on an AT Supra over a marked up MT any day of the week! Gives me more money for mods 🤙

DGINR8supra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra
I came from a 22 auto to a manual 23 and they both are awesome in their own way. The manual is next level with the correct mods. Torque is insane.
Sponsored