Did you buy a 23 in Manual or Auto?

Did you buy a 23 in Manual or Auto?

• Total voters

SKILMATIC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5
again, I’m not sure why you are confused. I was responding to another individual who thought “objectively” it wast better to him.
I asked by what matrix because according to all the data I have seen that dispassionately it is better.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Just purchased a Nocturnal 2023 MT Premium. Had the (unneeded) carbon fiber mirror caps. MSRP, no markup. Not my preferred color, but when it's clean....
Congrats dude! Welcome to the club. Either version is a stellar choice ❤

I will say if driving in automatic mode (normal or sport) it’s not ideal in town. It really needs a 3rd option in between. The sport mode is aggressive as hell and the gas savings normal mode keeps the rpms so low it makes you wonder how the car doesn’t stall. So we always drive her around in “manual“ mode using the paddle shifters. But on track, hot damn :flame:

The manual Supra would be fun in town. Wonder if my wife will buy into us getting one of each 😜

Last edited:

MaximumAttack

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT Toyota Supra, 2005 AP2 Honda S2000
My understanding is Toyota has a different size rear diff to match up to the different gear ratios. This could be all in my head but I feel more confident accelerating. The AT was very snappy.
The manual has a different final drive ratio. It's not a different size diff.

MaximumAttack

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
While technically true, the driving experience is way closer to an auto. 💁‍♂️
I guess, but a good DCT can be violent and exciting in its own way, and you can't really argue with the shift times. Being able to keep your hands on the steering wheel and carefully down shift or up shift mid-corner can be a big advantage.

MaximumAttack

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You’re preaching to the choir lol. Not everyone shares the same sentiment, however. Plenty of people find fast shifting autos fun, I mean every car in imsa is a flappy paddle, minus the Miatas(I think) and any car on the grid would still be a blast to drive for even the purest of manual purists. The zf8 in the Supra is good enough to still be fun.
Additionally, addressing technicality, the zf seems much more robust mechanically, as well.

Again, I’m a manual or bust kind of guy who bought a manual Supra, but the zf8 def deserves its flowers.
IMSA use paddle shifters, yes, but they aren't using torque converter automatics or even DCTs. They are paddle shift actuated dogbox sequential transmissions. 100% race transmissions. They only use a clutch to take off initially. No clutch used during shifting.

I think your point is still valid though. A good DCT or even the ZF 8HP auto can be good. Most people aren't bored shifting their DCT C8 Corvette or high end Porsche or Ferrari or McLaren whatever.

Last edited:

SupraCess

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 GR Surpa and a turbocharged FRS
IMSA use paddle shifters, yes, but they aren't using torque converter automatics or even DCTs. They are paddle shift actuated dogbox sequential transmissions. 100% race transmissions. They only use a clutch to take off initially. No clutch used during shifting.

I think your point is still valid though. A good DCT or even the ZF 8HP auto can be good. Most people aren't bored shifting their DCT C8 Corvette or high end Porsche or Ferrari or McLaren whatever.
Yeah, I haven't heard anyone complaining about the Bugattis, the Lamborghinis, the Nissan GTRs(R35) , and C8 not having a manual option yet.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I guess, but a good DCT can be violent and exciting in its own way, and you can't really argue with the shift times. Being able to keep your hands on the steering wheel and carefully down shift or up shift mid-corner can be a big advantage.
While that may be true, none of that changes my statement.

A Good DCT is by and large automatically changing gears for you so by definition is closer to an automatic transmission. And even when using the flappy paddles, it's automatically depressing the clutch. I think you're going to have a hard time convincing anyone that a DCT isn't automatic.. or at the very least, it being far closer to automaticity than an actual manual transmission. 🤷‍♂️

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Yeah, I haven't heard anyone complaining about the Bugattis, the Lamborghinis, the Nissan GTRs(R35) , and C8 not having a manual option yet.
A few years back I had the opportunity to drive a Lamborghini and a Ferrari for a day and they were both automatics. While the noise and power were both phenomenal, on the way home I was surprisded that I much preferred driving my pissy little Type- R with its manual transmission.

Years later when I test drove the automatic Supra, I felt much the same way. It was a great car with a good automatic transmission but like the supercars, it wasn't what I want from a car.

I know it sounds like arguing for the sake of arguing but some of us really just don't like driving automatics no matter how good the transmission is.. or how exotic the car is.

MaximumAttack

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few years back I had the opportunity to drive a Lamborghini and a Ferrari for a day and they were both automatics. While the noise and power were both phenomenal, on the way home I was surprisded that I much preferred driving my pissy little Type- R with its manual transmission.

Years later when I test drove the automatic Supra, I felt much the same way. It was a great car with a good automatic transmission but like the supercars, it wasn't what I want from a car.

I know it sounds like arguing for the sake of arguing but some of us really just don't like driving automatics no matter how good the transmission is.. or how exotic the car is.
FWIW, I bought an A91-MT. So, I obviously also like manual transmissions too. :p And I actually think the one in the Supra is really good and enjoyable to use.

I'm just not as aggressively anti-DCT/auto... mostly, because I know the results speak for themselves. If it's for a track car, and the goal isn't just having fun but also setting good lap times and breaking records, DCTs and the 8HP make a whole lot of sense. I think Jackie Ding has been proving this with his Supra and now the new M2. It's just hard to argue with.

That's not to say it's impossible to set good times with the manual version, but you're definitely going to have to work harder to make it happen. And I don't think any of us knows how much power the manual transmission can actually hold yet, while we know the 8HP can handle a ton of of power with upgrades. Luckily, Clutchmasters just released the FX1000 for our car. Now, we just have to wait and watch other people push the limits to find out how much our transmission can hold. :p

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
If it's for a track car, and the goal isn't just having fun..
This.

The Supra is a street car that some people may track. Sure, the percentage of people tracking it is going to be skewed on a forum like this but the reality is that most Supra's will not see a track.. and if they do it won't be regularly.

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
I had a black 2.0 on order, then the 2023 MT got announced, so I called the dealer that very morning, cancelled my 2.0 (lost my £500 deposit...) and placed an order for a yellow 2023 Manual, never looked back.
Arrived September '22 and was the third person to own it in the UK. Think it's the most "exclusive" I ever felt 😅😇
I never had an auto, admittedly it's not BAU in UK, but I did test drive the 3.0 AT and have to say it was truly blissful.
Sponsored