GR Supra Oil on National Backorder

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Not trying to disregard your personal experience at all. Respectfully, how many years of experience do you have in mechanical engineering or designing engines?

Curious to see how that stacks up against Toyota, BMW, or Jason from Engineering Explained.

He goes in depth regarding the trend of why car manufacturers are using thinner oils. I’d recommend watching the video, so you can gain a better understanding of why they are doing this (spoiler alert: it’s not just fuel economy but it is a big factor).
I've been building cars since i was in high school... so 8 years.
E36258A2-38E7-43C3-AB09-7892CE55660F.jpeg

4FE5F4D6-6C68-4A22-9497-68C6F4273155.jpeg
A2E4E84A-F440-4FA8-BFB9-391DBDD3034F.jpeg

i'm not gonna take away anything from either that Youtube guy or Toyota but that also doesn't mean i'm incompetent mechanically. I've done my fair share of research on how an engine works and why things are the way they are to get to this point. Car manufacturers are moving to thinner oil, yes... for their eco cars... but sports cars with these oil weights will continually show these issues... might not be bypassing the cylinder walls but since the oil is VERY thin, you will be having MASSIVE blow by issues which makes it no different, and if anything, will cause more issues intake wise since most pressure bypass systems are recirculated.
Sponsored

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
...Moreover, looking at the data a majority of Supra owners do not suffer from oil consumption issues. It’s a reach to point solely at the 0w-20 and say that is the biggest reason for consumption. Logically, a heavier oil would mask this problem up, but not address the root cause of consumption.
+1

WSUPRA

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Launch Edition
I've been building cars since i was in high school... so 8 years.
E36258A2-38E7-43C3-AB09-7892CE55660F.jpeg

4FE5F4D6-6C68-4A22-9497-68C6F4273155.jpeg
A2E4E84A-F440-4FA8-BFB9-391DBDD3034F.jpeg

i'm not gonna take away anything from either that Youtube guy or Toyota but that also doesn't mean i'm incompetent mechanically. I've done my fair share of research on how an engine works and why things are the way they are to get to this point. Car manufacturers are moving to thinner oil, yes... for their eco cars... but sports cars with these oil weights will continually show these issues... might not be bypassing the cylinder walls but since the oil is VERY thin, you will be having MASSIVE blow by issues which makes it no different, and if anything, will cause more issues intake wise since most pressure bypass systems are recirculated.
Here’s the thing. Toyota and BMW have both tested this engine setup extensively with the 0w-20 oil. If they would discovered these “massive” blow by issues you claim, they would have changed their oil recommendation so they don’t have a huge class action lawsuit on their hands, and have to replace thousand of engines in the new version of Toyota’s most famous sports car.

This is just anecdotal evidence (but is also corroborated by the data in the oil consumption thread) but I have just under 15k miles on my LE, with zero oil consumption or blow by issues that my car should have been rife with if what you are saying is accurate.

0w-20 may not be the correct oil for most performance engines, but every indication from Blackstone reports, oil consumption polls, and the majority of personal experiences all indicate that it is not causing any sort of damage in most applications. There are outliers where this is not the case, but you must look at the data instead of indexing highly on 4-5 cases where the 0w-20 led to unfavorable outcomes.

It would not make financial and business sense to recommend an oil weight that would damage your engine, regardless of the efficiency gain. I don’t buy the conspiracy theory that the 0w-20 is recommended so engines break just outside of warranty.

This is all I’m going to say on the matter. You are welcome to use whatever oil you feel is correct based on your own specific use case.

AirAlexie

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
OEM oil works perfectly fine. I just got my oil change done yesterday here in Massachusetts. The dealership I used had to source the oil/filter from other dealership’s in the area. My service writer told me that there is approx 4600 “ oil kit’s “ on back order from Toyota for the Supra.

so it might be some time before we see them come in.

OEM oil works. I went 10K miles on mine and I burned probably half a quart and it wasn’t bitch black when it came out. It was a darker honey color.

granted I don’t beat on my car nor drive it like an idiot.

at This point it’s a hit or miss.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
OEM oil works perfectly fine. I just got my oil change done yesterday here in Massachusetts. The dealership I used had to source the oil/filter from other dealership’s in the area. My service writer told me that there is approx 4600 “ oil kit’s “ on back order from Toyota for the Supra.

so it might be some time before we see them come in.

OEM oil works. I went 10K miles on mine and I burned probably half a quart and it wasn’t bitch black when it came out. It was a darker honey color.

granted I don’t beat on my car nor drive it like an idiot.

at This point it’s a hit or miss.
You can track it occasionally on this oil and the motor will not fold. Lots of talk over a very rare issue. Internet paranoia yeilding very little truth. Typical of this age and mentality in the media.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
my dealer in KY had it on back order but they finally got some and changed it, not sure where it came from i didn't ask, 4500 mile and was still max full at time of change on my 21my
Fellow Lexington, KY owner what's up? Anywho, if you run into this again, it seems like Toyota on Nicholasville is sitting on a large supply. Just had my recall and oil change done there and they said they had plenty.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
About 5k miles, factory oil, changed twice now. Autocross and track. Thought the same thing you did about blow-by, so I installed a Verus AOS. While I've not checked it in about 1k miles, every time I've checked it before then it was dry, and I've had the "add oil" message once since I bought the car. I do suspect there's blow-by, maybe enough to coat the inside of the AOS hoses (which I need to pop off and check), but not enough to collect a significant amount in 5k miles. However, in theory I agree with you, and will be switching to a heavier weight oil next spring (the car stays largely parked during the winter).

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
About 5k miles, factory oil, changed twice now. Autocross and track. Thought the same thing you did about blow-by, so I installed a Verus AOS. While I've not checked it in about 1k miles, every time I've checked it before then it was dry, and I've had the "add oil" message once since I bought the car. I do suspect there's blow-by, maybe enough to coat the inside of the AOS hoses (which I need to pop off and check), but not enough to collect a significant amount in 5k miles. However, in theory I agree with you, and will be switching to a heavier weight oil next spring (the car stays largely parked during the winter).
That's next on my list, i want the AOS so my car looks Verus'd out under the hood haha

Livedevil

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 LT1 Camaro, 2006 Sti
hey there! i'd be careful about going thicker on oil, friction is what keeps the oil out of the compression side of the piston.
Sponsored