Had someone back into my door in a parking lot - looking for advice on repair

Ground Beef

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid
Literally, 30 minutes ago, had someone back into my passenger side door in a parking lot. She was super apologetic as none of her safety sensors went off (that's another conversation on how we still need to be vigilant with our eyes/ears). I got her insurance, drivers license, etc...I'm not worried she won't pay. She asked if she could take care of this outside of insurance. I told her I'd look into it.

Here's my question:

If they have to replace the door and the plastic door piece, it would most likely be OEM Toyota parts, right? Should I go to the dealer and get an estimate? How would you guys/gals handle this situation?

Normally, I would just contact my insurance company, tell them what happened, and give them all of her information and let it play out that way...

door3.png
door4.png
Sponsored

SupraBC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 2.0
You are way too nice. I'd contact the insurance and let them deal with it and let it also be a lesson for her that she can't just talk her way out of situations like this. If her insurance rate goes up, so be it, maybe it'll serve as a reminder that she needs to pay more attention when backing up.

You'll also have peace of mind that if something goes wrong your a$$ is covered, tho a door should be no issue.

I'd be more sympathetic in the case of a real accident but this is just her not paying the necessary attention behind the wheel

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
The bodyshop will probably do paintless dent removal to the metal door… fill and paint. As for the plastic area… they’ll fill it as well and repaint.

Just make sure it’s done right and the door handle, mirror, rubber trim below the window, fake door vent and larger damaged plastic door part are removed before painting is completed.

Manage your expectations.

Last edited:

FlynnZero

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
Literally, 30 minutes ago, had someone back into my passenger side door in a parking lot. She was super apologetic as none of her safety sensors went off (that's another conversation on how we still need to be vigilant with our eyes/ears). I got her insurance, drivers license, etc...I'm not worried she won't pay. She asked if she could take care of this outside of insurance. I told her I'd look into it.

Here's my question:

If they have to replace the door and the plastic door piece, it would most likely be OEM Toyota parts, right? Should I go to the dealer and get an estimate? How would you guys/gals handle this situation?

Normally, I would just contact my insurance company, tell them what happened, and give them all of her information and let it play out that way...

door3.png
door4.png
This is why I park a mile away from everyone. 80% of the country is on drugs and could give a shit.

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
You are way too nice. I'd contact the insurance and let them deal with it and let it also be a lesson for her that she can't just talk her way out of situations like this. If her insurance rate goes up, so be it, maybe it'll serve as a reminder that she needs to pay more attention when backing up.

You'll also have peace of mind that if something goes wrong your a$$ is covered, tho a door should be no issue.

I'd be more sympathetic in the case of a real accident but this is just her not paying the necessary attention behind the wheel
Agree 100%...

I had a female run into the back of truck...she asked that I allow her to pay for damages...turned out to be $3000...she refused at the end and it became a nightmare dealing with her insurance company after the fact..I say go straight to her insurance and put a claim in..

People always have good intentions until they have to reach into there pocketbooks...just sayin..

Hope you're able to get this sorted in short order...

Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP

Ground Beef

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid
The bodyshop will probably do paintless dent removal to the metal door… fill and paint. As for the plastic area… they’ll fill it as well and repaint.

Just make sure it’s done right and the door handle, mirror, rubber trim below the window, fake door vent and larger damaged plastic door part are removed before painting is completed.

Manage your expectations.
Andrew,

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed... I'm concerned about the paint match and all that stuff... what a pain. This is good info.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
They may paint the adjacent panels to color match/blend. You're warned. But such a small area, maybe touch up?
Get a quote but go insurance way. Say, you asked your insurance, your friends, one of which is a cop, a lawyer, etc. they advised insurance..

FlynnZero

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
Andrew,

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed... I'm concerned about the paint match and all that stuff... what a pain. This is good info.
A good PDR guy probably can get the panel straight, but paint, always a touchy subject, Might be a good time to replace the vented panel with CF. Insurance for sure.

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)
Wow that is terrible and definitely insurance.

Where did this happen?

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
This might be a bit late, but gonna post it here anyways since I feel like a got a good outcome in a similar situation. Was still a huge headache tho. Figure people might find this useful.

Hopefully you took lots of pictures, including the other person's car if there is any damage on it, and pictures of the location. Picture of their license plate is useful too.

Someone hit my car in a parking lot earlier this year. It was clearly their fault, and they were also apologetic, not that it seemed like that mattered in the end when they filed a claim with their insurance marking me as responsible. Don't trust anyone.

This is the guidance my insurance broker gave me:
  1. Since it is obviously the other parties fault, call their insurance and file a claim (or find the claim number if they themselves already filed one). Filing a claim with your own insurance, even if it isn't your fault can still have some impact on your premium. If you don't get a good outcome with the other person's insurance, then contact your insurance.
  2. Prepare a statement ahead of time of exactly what happened with very clear details and facts. If the other person admitted fault, make sure to clearly state that they did so and what they said. You'll likely need to talk to the adjustor and they will take your statement, and record it.
  3. Pictures, as mentioned above help a lot. You'll want to provide those when given the chance, and let them know you have pictures.
  4. Hopefully things go well and the other person's insurance will take 100% liability. If not, contact your insurance.
In my case, the other person (even though apologetic and said its their fault etc) had filed a claim and they had me as 70% liable. They also didn't provide my phone number to their insurance. Once I got in contact with their insurance of my own volition, gave my statement and then provided comprehensive photos of the damage on both cars and the location etc, the insurance accepted 100% liability.

In terms of repairs.. My door had deep scrapes and couple dents, and another dent and scrape in the fender.

Local shop replaced the fender completely and fixed the dents in the door and repainted the entire door. Looks great so far as far as I can tell, no issues with paint match. I didn't pay anything since other person's insurance paid it all, but the final invoice was like $2500.

Definitely try to find a shop that has high ratings. Can also check with the dealership and see where they take cars themselves. Also, try visiting the shop and see what kind of cars they are working on. If you see high end cars (especially exotics) that can be a good sign combined with good ratings.
Sponsored