Help.. I think I'm slipping!

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
I'd be all over the new M2.....if it weren't so damn ugly.

But hey, looks are subjective. There has to be at least a few people out there who think the M2 looks good!
Sponsored

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
What supras come without dual zone climate control? Serious question
No. No. What I meant was that the Supra climate controls can't both be controlled from the drivers side - ie, synced. It's not that big a deal in and of itself but it speaks to poor/lazy design choices.. and that irks me.

ā€œWe're surrounded by anonymous, poorly made objects. It's tempting to think it's because the people who use them don't care - just like the people who make them.ā€

- Johnathan Ive

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
You've got way more patience than I do. As nice as something might be, there's no vehicle I'm willing to wait 8+ months for. I'd forget I'd bought it and go buy something else or I'd change my mind on what I was looking for.

Many have said it, if you like it go for it. The best argument I've seen us, do you need a back seat or do you want a sports car.

You've got to ask yourself how different and unique you want your car to be on the road. If you want a fun car that blends in (I do dig the purple, which was what color m3 I was looking at) then get the m2. If you want something more unique then get the supra.

Either way, you can't make a bad decision.
Yeah.. If either car company could actually sell me a car in a timely fashion, I'd just go for it. Both cars are different but (for me) comparable in how much they meet my need: Fast, fun, financially feasible, albeit just.

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Yeah, I think Toyota built the car and just left the rest for the aftermarket/DIYers to handle the rest.
I think that's being pretty polite. The omission of synced climate control and an external boot release button (not to mention the wind buffeting or the HUD) are really just lazy/poor design choices in my opinion. And while I'm sure the M2 will have its quirls, I don't think BMW's design language would allow for such simple cock-ups. For me its about design. The exterior of the Supra is beautifully designed, minus the fake vents of course - which are yet again another lazy/poor design choice.

It really seems like (and please correct me if Iā€™m wrong) youā€™re leaning more towards the M2 due to the main complaint being the lack of dual zone climate control (if Iā€™m understanding correctly) while everything else thatā€™s not present in the Supra being present in the M2.
It's not one about any one thing.. it's more about the lack of good design choices or moreover the acceptance of some really lazy/poor ones.

Considering the lack of markup and a solid ETA (albeit a lengthy wait) I would say go for getting an allocation for an M2 but if you really want to play it safe, get that and hold your spot for a Supra and whichever shows up firstā€¦ šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
That's my actual position. The Supra should come in first. If the M2 was available first, I think I'd just pony up the extra cash and go with it.

What I'm thinking is financially pretty stupid but.. I think I'll get the Supra and after a while if I'm not in love, just go the full BMW experience and enjoy the Supra while I wait. Ugh!

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
No. No. What I meant was that the Supra climate controls can't both be controlled from the drivers side - ie, synced. It's not that big a deal in and of itself but it speaks to poor/lazy design choices.. and that irks me.
Push the knob in on the driver's side.

Last edited:

YellowJackit

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 MINI Clubman, 2023 BM X3, 2022 GR Supra
I'd be all over the new M2.....if it weren't so damn ugly.

But hey, looks are subjective. There has to be at least a few people out there who think the M2 looks good!
Count me as one!

I can dig it. I'm a fan of the current design language at BMW. Sold my Big Face 2022 M440i coupe and got the Supra due to failed attempts to address suspension issues. Keeping my eye on M2 prices, but wouldn't be mad at an M240 either.

SoDakMk5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I love my Supra but I hate the cheap so called ā€œleatherā€ and the weak ass interior. Itā€™s as basic as a bmw can be. No accent lighting. My buddy just picked up a 20 m340i xdrive and it has the accent lighting all thru the dash and on the doors. Iv considered a g8x m3 but the $30k price difference I canā€™t justify that for a few cheap add ons and s58

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
I love my Supra but I hate the cheap so called ā€œleatherā€ and the weak ass interior. Itā€™s as basic as a bmw can be. No accent lighting. My buddy just picked up a 20 m340i xdrive and it has the accent lighting all thru the dash and on the doors. Iv considered a g8x m3 but the $30k price difference I canā€™t justify that for a few cheap add ons and s58
I agree, mostly. And I think it's interesting because a lot of folk on here would pay that just to have an S58 dropped into their Supra, ie: The mythical GRMN.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
S58, beefier ZF8, carbon roof, awd with selectable rwd (presumably given your $30k figure), better brakes, better steering wheel/paddles, M resale value. I wouldnā€™t call those cheap based on the cost to add some of that aftermarket.

Itā€™s also not always cheap to reduce weight in an OEM package.

I wouldnā€™t mind more nice things, but the longer I have the car, the greater value I think it is.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
"I want lightweight but also the interior better be high end with a bunch of stuff, better leather, 50 zone climate control, heated steering wheel, butt vibrators and other things that add a bunch of weight, please also give me AWD..."

1417189841-indecisive-gosling.gif
Sponsored