High turnover on MKV Supras?

SupraBC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 2.0
@gcmak, thank you for the very extensive and honest feedback. I've heard that they are very different cars too. I was considering selling the BRZ if I bought the Supra, but now I'm not too sure the Supra would give me the same enjoyment that the BRZ does. I do love the feel and responsiveness of the BRZ steering and chassis.

Honestly, I will have to keep trying to find a dealership that will let me test drive one. I was just curious as to why there were so many on the used market after such a short period of time, and if that was any indication of the car itself.
Even though gcmak has some good points, everyone is different, so while you're at it I'd suggest you also test drive the 2.0

I personally didn't have the luxury to test drive either of the Supras but as someone coming from a 2014 FR-S, I can tell you I don't miss my Scion......AT ALL!!!
Yes the FR-S was really nice to drive but the 2.0 feels like a proper upgrade. Twice the torque, much wider tires, shorter wheelbase, equally nimble.....this thing is amazing on back roads and won't try to kill you if you step too much on it like the 3.0

If you're looking for straight line speed and track capabilities the 3.0 is the way to go, no doubt about it but if you're looking for a BRZ on steroids, test drive also the 2.0, you won't regret it.

As for your original question, my money is on kids just trading for the next big thing that will give them youtube views.
Sponsored

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Even though gcmak has some good points, everyone is different, so while you're at it I'd suggest you also test drive the 2.0
If you're looking for straight line speed and track capabilities the 3.0 is the way to go, no doubt about it but if you're looking for a BRZ on steroids, test drive also the 2.0, you won't regret it.
I'd love to try a 2.0 - wish I did at the time of purchase. I would assume the lower front weight is a joy to have on a back-road and I do subscribe to driving a slow car fast is better than driving a fast car slow. I think the 2.0 would be both great on road and on track, for the right driver. As I mentioned in my post, sound plays a pretty big part in a car purchase that's not designed to be practical and I have heard the 2.0 and it's just not at the level that brings me that extra joy that the 3.0 does. Entirely subjective but it is my perspective.

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
The first Toyota dealership I tried wouldn't allow test drives either. I ended up convincing them to let me drive it if I submitted a credit application first to prove that I was both serious and capable of buying the car. The second dealership I tried didn't give a shit, they handed me the keys and told me to go get lost somewhere and then use Google Maps to find my way back when I felt like it. I bought the car from the second dealership.
Yea, any dealer who doesn't let you test drive, can F off and lose a potential sale. The dealer I bought mine from, let me test drive it immediately and also let me drive it as long as I needed. This was all BEFORE a credit application. I got back 40 miles later and bought it from them. I didn't even want to look elsewhere. Some dealers are great and want a sale, others can hold onto their cars.

turbopk

First Name
Pk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 ford edge(DD)
I don't currently own an MKV, however I am the type of car owner who gets bored easily and moves on. The longest I have ever kept a car was 3 years, my MKIV turbo. Other than that 2 years and I am ready to move on.

And even in that 2 years I am typically modifying the cars to make them more fun. I like buying cars stock modding them to about the max they can take without a full motor/trans build then I get bored and want to start over with something new. I suppose I figure life is too short to drive a boring car, and once 'I' am bored I move on.

I guess I am not a collector like some car guys, though if I could swing an R34 GTR I'd probably hold onto it for quite awhile.

turbopk

First Name
Pk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 ford edge(DD)
Yea, any dealer who doesn't let you test drive, can F off and lose a potential sale. The dealer I bought mine from, let me test drive it immediately and also let me drive it as long as I needed. This was all BEFORE a credit application. I got back 40 miles later and bought it from them. I didn't even want to look elsewhere. Some dealers are great and want a sale, others can hold onto their cars.
I agree 110%! I went to test drive an MKV when they first hit dealers, and the salesmen tried to tell me, 'you know this is a supercar right, we only let pre-approved or cash buyers test drive 'supercars' :rofl:
My response was 'google supercars' before you talk to anyone else about the "Toyota" Supra.

turbopk

First Name
Pk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 ford edge(DD)
@gcmak, thank you for the very extensive and honest feedback. I've heard that they are very different cars too. I was considering selling the BRZ if I bought the Supra, but now I'm not too sure the Supra would give me the same enjoyment that the BRZ does. I do love the feel and responsiveness of the BRZ steering and chassis.

Honestly, I will have to keep trying to find a dealership that will let me test drive one. I was just curious as to why there were so many on the used market after such a short period of time, and if that was any indication of the car itself.
Have you considered boosting your BRZ? I'd imagine even with low boost and 300whp it would be a blast!

Toshi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Nitro Yellow
Guess it helps being 5' 7"

I have no issues getting in and out haha but I can see it being a pain for taller people.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I think part of the problem is some folks don’t know what they are getting themselves into until too late. And needs to abandon ship. Proper way to play with a sports car usually means one owns multiple cars with utility. And access to garage space etc.

As with mustard is the only way to go with corndogs..

clockwork

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
And what happens when a "customer" going on a "test drive" and after ripping it for 40 miles (geeez!) decides they don't want it?I'm not going to buy a new car with racked up mileage because other people thought it was okay to take it for more than a couple miles.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. Hell, I'd say scenarios like this are why dealers are hesitant to allow test drives in the first place.

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)
Guess it helps being 5' 7"

I have no issues getting in and out haha but I can see it being a pain for taller people.
I'm 6'2" and I strategically step in and out of the car and don't have issues. It took some getting used to but it's not going to dissuade me from enjoying the car.

kmag66

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2021 Toyota Supra 2.0
I'm 6'2" and I strategically step in and out of the car and don't have issues. It took some getting used to but it's not going to dissuade me from enjoying the car.
I am your height too and have had the Supra for a few days. Have found a way (through trial and error) of getting myself in and out without banging my head. The car is a blast and very glad I purchased it being tall or not.

cte21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
And what happens when a "customer" going on a "test drive" and after ripping it for 40 miles (geeez!) decides they don't want it?I'm not going to buy a new car with racked up mileage because other people thought it was okay to take it for more than a couple miles.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. Hell, I'd say scenarios like this are why dealers are hesitant to allow test drives in the first place.
I agree it's ridiculous to go for a long test drive where you drive the car hard, only to return and say "no thanks". However, I do consider it equally ridiculous to not allow someone a test drive (particularly in pre-COVID times when the sales rep would be in the car) with the excuse of it being limited production, etc.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
As someone who works in finance, it's not uncommon for people to keep performance vehicles for a year or even less then trade up for something else.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I'm not sure if you call it a high turn over.. just checked the auto trader and out of 1000+ supra listed, only about 200+was used. I'm pretty sure some of it are new but listed as used to attract customer. mine was listed as "used" last year although it was new.

however, listed price is a lot higher than what I paid for.. In other word, I can make profit if I sell mine today. If I hadn't done to protect mine against element, I would've sell it and get a new 2021 supra since I don't see need for "tuning" it.

many people has many different reasons but people who are selling may also be taking profit for one reason. but 20% used out of all listed for sale and less than 2% of all sale, I don't think it's high turn over.

21Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium, Honda CRV Hybrid Touring
6 foot 1 here. No issues getting in or out. The very first time I got in I smacked the shit out of my head and the salesman was just staring at me. You only have to do that once to learn to never do it again. Once you are in, completely comfortable and no issues. Getting in and out isnt bad once you learn how to do it.
Sponsored