How can I safely add 30-50hp to my 2.0?

westtxsupra2.0

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
I will be using my 2.0 as daily drive. I'd love it if I can get a bit more hp than stock but don't want to run into any issues with the car, void the warranty, nor strain the engine past its limit. I won't be taking it to the track ever and won't be racing (other then occasional stepping on it on the freeway, etc). I also won't be changing tires nor getting bigger brakes.

Does an aftermarket exhaust / intake add hp or just change the sound? Any thoughts on plug-in tunes?

Any recommendations? Please share if you have link to trusted products for the 2.0. :D
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I will be using my 2.0 as daily drive. I'd love it if I can get a bit more hp than stock but don't want to run into any issues with the car, void the warranty, nor strain the engine past its limit. I won't be taking it to the track ever and won't be racing (other then occasional stepping on it on the freeway, etc). I also won't be changing tires nor getting bigger brakes.

Does an aftermarket exhaust / intake add hp or just change the sound? Any thoughts on plug-in tunes?

Any recommendations? Please share if you have link to trusted products for the 2.0. :D
From the way this post comes across, you have a lot of reading to do lol.
Your ECU is most likely locked, so a tune is probably out. But since you want to avoid warranty issues, you shouldn't tune anyway. Intake and exhaust add very little, to no horsepower gains at all. It's mostly for sound. So no, without "voiding your warranty" you won't add 50 hp. But since you're not going to track it, or occasionally stepping on it, you don't need it anyway. Enjoy the car as it is, and have peace of mind that if something goes wrong, you can go to the dealer without any worries about claims being denied.

OP
OP
westtxsupra2.0

westtxsupra2.0

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
From the way this post comes across, you have a lot of reading to do lol.
Your ECU is most likely locked, so a tune is probably out. But since you want to avoid warranty issues, you shouldn't tune anyway. Intake and exhaust add very little, to no horsepower gains at all. It's mostly for sound. So no, without "voiding your warranty" you won't add 50 hp. But since you're not going to track it, or occasionally stepping on it, you don't need it anyway. Enjoy the car as it is, and have peace of mind that if something goes wrong, you can go to the dealer without any worries about claims being denied.
Yep, I have a lot of reading to do for sure. Was hoping to find good reads specifically on the 2.0.

I guess I'm okay voiding the warranty. But not to the point where it's unsafe or have issues passing emissions.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Yep, I have a lot of reading to do for sure. Was hoping to find good reads specifically on the 2.0.

I guess I'm okay voiding the warranty. But not to the point where it's unsafe or have issues passing emissions.
Then I suggest leaving the stock downpipe in place and get a tune if your ECU is unlockable. Your car will pass emissions and a tune will pick up some power. Especially if you have 93 octane in your area.

OP
OP
westtxsupra2.0

westtxsupra2.0

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
I would look into how people are modifying the Mini with that engine.. you'll have better luck with that over say any other BMW model.
Check out JB4 though.. I think those are piggyback and do not need an unlock.
Thanks for sharing that. I checked with Burger Motorsports and you are right, the JB4 does not need an unlock. I may go with this option. :cool::D

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
As others have said get the JB4 piggyback. It can add some decent power to the car. 50hp is honestly really easy to add when it comes to a turbo engine. To be honest though, you wont notice the difference.

I say this because Horsepower = top speed and torque = how fast you get there. (in a nutshell).
Any power gains you add, you will feel mostly at the top end. If you arent taking it to the track, that 50hp will be negligible.
At the same time you do live in Texas, so maybe you have a lot more wide open roads for you to just slam the throttle down on.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
JB4 user here but on a different car. Check it out on the N54 bmw forum. They do have a version for the B48/58. It is what is known as a "piggyback" and can be removed with little drama when time to go for service.

Using the mild maps, noticeable power can be made just make sure to do your homework if you are new to tuning. Even a piggyback can get you into trouble REAL fast.

OP
OP
westtxsupra2.0

westtxsupra2.0

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
As others have said get the JB4 piggyback. It can add some decent power to the car. 50hp is honestly really easy to add when it comes to a turbo engine. To be honest though, you wont notice the difference.

I say this because Horsepower = top speed and torque = how fast you get there. (in a nutshell).
Any power gains you add, you will feel mostly at the top end. If you arent taking it to the track, that 50hp will be negligible.
At the same time you do live in Texas, so maybe you have a lot more wide open roads for you to just slam the throttle down on.
Thanks, helpful info. And yes, lots of open roads here.
Sponsored