How to get Toyota to update car for throttle hesitation issue?

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
Toyota has never acknowledged the throttle hesitation, I understand that BMW has already solved it for the Z4. However, it's manageable if you understand how to modulate throttle inputs at low speeds. Key thing is to not panic when throttle hesitates, ur impulse will be mash the throttle. Feather the throttle, stay in control, and gradually roll back onto throttle. Good luck OP.
Sponsored

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
I’m convinced the whole lot of you are trying to pullout into traffic in unsafe conditions and conflating spinning tires/Traction control cutting power with “gas pedal no work”
No, it's actually happened to me just sitting at a stoplight. Definitely am not hitting the throttle remotely hard enough to lose traction, this is normal and sane city driving. I'm talking like 10% throttle. The car moves like all you did was let go of the brakes and applied 0% throttle. It does that for 2-4 seconds then immediately applies whatever % throttle you were on (still not losing traction btw).

No traction control lights flashing, no pulling out into traffic in an unsafe manner. There is a very distinct difference in feel when traction control cuts power, and this ain't it.

I am tuned on EcuTek and experience this issue, so no I don't think a tune fixes this problem.

OP
OP
HACKRCHILD

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
These guys have no respect for OG members. Its well documented as a engine protection feature. If you learn how to drive the car it’s not a problem. They should’ve bought a Camry instead.

-RJM
No it’s not that, it’s that I don’t think that anyone’s opinion is any less valid because they haven’t been here as long.

And I also don’t think that because you’ve been here longer that you have some kind of authority over other members.

Anyway it’s not really on topic for the post, I won’t be replying to anymore “I’ve been here for years you will respect me and I’m right” comments.

OP
OP
HACKRCHILD

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
I’m convinced the whole lot of you are trying to pullout into traffic in unsafe conditions and conflating spinning tires/Traction control cutting power with “gas pedal no work”
Sorry I probably should have been more clear, when it happens I start of very gentle with the throttle and gradually increase until in almost at 100%. Basically same boat as baagel.

OP
OP
HACKRCHILD

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Toyota has never acknowledged the throttle hesitation, I understand that BMW has already solved it for the Z4. However, it's manageable if you understand how to modulate throttle inputs at low speeds. Key thing is to not panic when throttle hesitates, ur impulse will be mash the throttle. Feather the throttle, stay in control, and gradually roll back onto throttle. Good luck OP.
Yup, I heard that they don’t seem to even get a change log on each update on their version of ista. Not sure if that’s BMW being lazy or a Toyota problem. I guess there’s hope of bmw have addressed it.

thanks for the tips! I’ll keep you guys posted if I can get updated.

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
I honestly am shocked at some of the "get good scrub" type comments. Not only do you most likely not understand the individual situations that drivers are in at the time (how could any of us), but you comment about American road design which is very different to UK road design on a UK thread.

The price and performance of this car makes it unlikely to be anyone's first or second car so id like to believe they would have the skill to notice a definite flaw like this. Can we respect each other enough to be productive? Its dangerous on UK roads as there are often blind junctions and roundabouts where timing and finding a gap are essential, that's all... no crazy drag racing or leaving 11's up the road.

Rolling on to a roundabout at 400rpm in a city centre and find no power for 5 seconds will make you consider selling the car i assure you.

OP
OP
HACKRCHILD

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
I honestly am shocked at some of the "get good scrub" type comments. Not only do you most likely not understand the individual situations that drivers are in at the time (how could any of us), but you comment about American road design which is very different to UK road design on a UK thread.

The price and performance of this car makes it unlikely to be anyone's first or second car so id like to believe they would have the skill to notice a definite flaw like this. Can we respect each other enough to be productive? Its dangerous on UK roads as there are often blind junctions and roundabouts where timing and finding a gap are essential, that's all... no crazy drag racing or leaving 11's up the road.

Rolling on to a roundabout at 400rpm in a city centre and find no power for 5 seconds will make you consider selling the car i assure you.
Well said 👏

neil7

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra mk5
Has anyone tried a pedal commander to correct the issue? I've been thinking about getting one.
I bought and used a Sprint Booster which worked very well to deal with the throttle delay. Now have a Bootmod3 remap which gets rid of the small throttle delay itself.

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
In my case, I realized, after the second or third time the throttle cut out, that there was a correlation with the loss of traction in my front wheel. I have a relatively steep driveway and when I back out, I have to crank the wheel and enter onto the street at an angle, to avoid scraping the front bumper lip. When doing so, if I'm going too fast, the front driver's side tire loses traction. When that happened, I noticed that I would either get the hesitation as soon as I placed the car in drive, or at the first stop sign at the end of my street. That happened quite consistently. After it happened the first time, the hesitation didn't occur again. As others have stated, I learned that feathering the throttle position was key to keeping the car from lurching forward, once the hiccup subsided.

At any rate, whatever calibrations were done in the updates I received seem to have corrected the issue, for I'm still losing traction from time to time when pulling out of my driveway, but without the hesitation.

rjn21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
I had exactly this issue.

Nothing to with cold start, traction control or unsafe manoeuvring. Purely when applying a moderate amount of throttle (eg to move away from a red light), no response at all from the engine, the car would just creep forward (brakes off) with the engine at idle, until suddenly the requested throttle demand came in ~3 seconds later.

I had the vehicle serviced in June 2023 and had S18T-22-11-553 applied. I am fortunate to use a very helpful and highly intelligent tech who will always apply the latest iStep with no problem.

Cross fingers, but the issue has not reappeared since.

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
For the people having this issue, are you in sport mode or normal? Do you have traction control on, off or completely off? I’m asking because maybe it matters? Like I said earlier the JB4 w/tune from Jesse fixed this 100% and I don’t remember what it was like now.

@Crimzon_Skyz we have roundabouts here too my friend 😎

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Until Toyota fully addresses this issue, just press the traction control button once and the problem wont show up anymore. Minor inconvenience for the time being.

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
For the people having this issue, are you in sport mode or normal? Do you have traction control on, off or completely off? I’m asking because maybe it matters? Like I said earlier the JB4 w/tune from Jesse fixed this 100% and I don’t remember what it was like now.

@Crimzon_Skyz we have roundabouts here too my friend 😎
To be fair if TikTok and other media outlets are to be believed id be even more scared of throttle hesitation on the few roundabouts I've seen in the US. :D

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
I had exactly this issue.

Nothing to with cold start, traction control or unsafe manoeuvring. Purely when applying a moderate amount of throttle (eg to move away from a red light), no response at all from the engine, the car would just creep forward (brakes off) with the engine at idle, until suddenly the requested throttle demand came in ~3 seconds later.

I had the vehicle serviced in June 2023 and had S18T-22-11-553 applied. I am fortunate to use a very helpful and highly intelligent tech who will always apply the latest iStep with no problem.

Cross fingers, but the issue has not reappeared since.
In danger of straying into another thread topic here but Where do you go for your service? If they are good i may make the trip myself.