How to Improve OE Sub Bass Quality and Eliminate Vibrations

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Because I didn’t add any foam to the speaker box, I can’t say what additional difference that would make. What I will say is that the addition of the port tubes alone was surprisingly effective; so much so it changed my thoughts about the whole setup. I’m still installing an amp and a 12” sub in a couple of weeks, but I no longer plan to disconnect the stock subwoofers, nor would I consider replacing them. I think they will provide decent mid bass and I can let the 12 focus on lower frequency funkitude.

I did also replace the side/rear speakers with coaxial infinities. I actually like that improvement as much as porting the subs. I did lose a bit of volume as I have to fade to the back to get the same front-rear balance as I wouldif everything was stock, but I don’t runout of volume, so no big deal. I use the fader and rear speakers to attenuate some of the harshness of the front tweeters.
Sponsored

Lil Grey Supra

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Camaro - 427ci LSX turbo'd, 2016 RAM 2500, 2021 GR Supra 3.0 Prem
Rotary Heart - if you do not want to go through the trouble of cutting and stuffing to line the walls of the enclosure.......try speaker baffling like I did. I'm not a patient person like tadda so I went the cheap and easy route. Works like a champ!

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
Rotary Heart - if you do not want to go through the trouble of cutting and stuffing to line the walls of the enclosure.......try speaker baffling like I did. I'm not a patient person like tadda so I went the cheap and easy route. Works like a champ!
That's the only part I couldn't muster to do. What did you use? Was the baffling just the cotton candy like material? Did you just stuff it in there randomly?

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
@tadda, where do you pull the schematics from? Looking for some of the usb area so I may route a cord to the glove box.

chuckyl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Miata Nd, Stinger Base and 2021 Supra
Great initial write up, I'm finally getting around to this mod. Thank you all.

Lil Grey Supra

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's the only part I couldn't muster to do. What did you use? Was the baffling just the cotton candy like material? Did you just stuff it in there randomly?
Yep - the cotton candy type baffling. Stuffed it in and tried to ensure full coverage. Works great!

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yep - the cotton candy type baffling. Stuffed it in and tried to ensure full coverage. Works great!
Awesome! I'll try that.

I couldn't get the 1" template cutout in through the 3 little port holes. Figured the top two would be easier, but I didn't go to the extent of removing the sub top panels.

Did you just stuff the whole area or just either side of the ported locations?

Lil Grey Supra

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Awesome! I'll try that.

I couldn't get the 1" template cutout in through the 3 little port holes. Figured the top two would be easier, but I didn't go to the extent of removing the sub top panels.

Did you just stuff the whole area or just either side of the ported locations?
I filled the entire space loosely with batting. Base response improved and the opened ports allow for exhaust instead of vibration

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Excellent. Thank you for the info.

Wife's Car

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra
I did the same, it is so much better now. THANK YOU TADDA FOR YOUR TIME IN FIGURING THIS OUT AND THE WRITE UP!!!!!!!

89 and 95

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, V8 Solstice Coupe, 21 C8, 88 V8 Fiero
My audio guy with 35+ years in this game could not make anything work to his liking with the existing subs and box, including everything in this thread and more. So, he is building sub enclosures hidden inside the existing box for two 6-inch JL audio subs running off a JL DSP that is also driving the other speakers. Will report back...

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
@tadda, do you think aftermarket amplified direct replacements, band passed at 500hz-80hz, would require these ports still?

Helicaldamn

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra, 2014 Toyota 4Runner, 1986 Toyota 4Runner
I finally got all the components in and did the install as shown on page 1. I went with plastic/metal tweeter covers, but purchased the 2" ports as well just in case for options. Sounds 100% better than before and now I have no desire to replace those speakers. The only thing I'm considering is a standalone sub for handling the lower frequencies, but I like my hatch space, so not sure if I'll ever get around to it.
IMG_3561.jpg
Sponsored