How to not spin in first/second under WOT?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I don’t even try to launch my Supra. I just start out slow and then gun it in sport mode. Let the Supra and some steering & throttle modulation do its thang. It’s still hard for most cars to keep up. But… There’s no doubt I’d be dust in the wind against someone like mighty zrk that can really launch the car. Then add to the fact he somehow can make these things with a ridiculous amount of HP and not break 😳

Funny fact @Evolution my S2K had a detachable steering wheel. That poor little thing. I banged her up all over FL tracks. Much more cautious in the Supra this go round. Only spinning out or running off track where I know I can 😉
Sponsored

ArmenLS1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Type R
Never launch in first, make sure the tires are hot. Get good tires. Make sure you have the tire pressure correct.

0. Sport Mode
1. Tap Traction Control - (turn off traction)
2. Hold Traction Control - (turn off VSC)
3. Switch to manual mode
4. Burnout in First gear in the water box
5. Approach staging lights
6. Shift to 2nd
7. Attempt to push the brake pedal through the floor with your LEFT foot
7a. Pump Brake Pedal HARD
8. While holding the brake pedal down, bring RPMs up to ~2k RPMs quickly (you'll feel the car "squat"), this is the torque converter loading. Boost will climb.
9. On Green - Mash gas & release brake
10. Shift when you see the indicator reach 55-5600 RPMs (stock turbo)
10a. Don't shift out of 5th, ride it through.

Pushing much harder than 2200 RPMs loading up the converter is a sure-fire way to snap an axle after a couple of passes, and it's 3-4 months for a DSS axle. Careful.
Great info. So keep TC fully off even when ripping down track? Would it be a bad idea to put it back into sport traction to prevent it from getting loosey-goosey half way down the strip?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Great info. So keep TC fully off even when ripping down track? Would it be a bad idea to put it back into sport traction to prevent it from getting loosey-goosey half way down the strip?
No don't do that.

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
@zrk , What is "sport traction"? I am trying to figure out if one tap TC button is fully off or just reduced TC intervention. I know that holding it turns everything off.

My car seems to hook up nicely flat out in 1st after 1 tap TC button, but chirps the tires on the 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd shift. I feel like I would spin them up more in 1st if TC was fully off. Car has more power than stock too.

I am not launching from a dig, just WOT from 5 mph roll. The car accelerates way faster and doesn't pull power like it does with TC fully on.

EDIT: I'm reading the owners manual and it says its "Traction mode - provides maximum traction - optimised for forward momentum" - but seems to indicate it is for snow driving...?

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
@zrk , What is "sport traction"? I am trying to figure out if one tap TC button is fully off or just reduced TC intervention. I know that holding it turns everything off.

My car seems to hook up nicely flat out in 1st after 1 tap TC button, but chirps the tires on the 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd shift. I feel like I would spin them up more in 1st if TC was fully off. Car has more power than stock too.

I am not launching from a dig, just WOT from 5 mph roll. The car accelerates way faster and doesn't pull power like it does with TC fully on.

EDIT: I'm reading the owners manual and it says its "Traction mode - provides maximum traction - optimised for forward momentum" - but seems to indicate it is for snow driving...?
I’ve been trying to do some decent pulls for Jesse for my custom JB4 map - now that I have a heat exchanger. Unfortunately I’m back on stock tires. This Supra pulls like a bat outta hell 😈 with every gear shift. I couldn’t imagine launching from zero 😂. Are you taking off in 2nd gear?

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core

Reduced intervention. It still intervenes if you hard launch it from a dig or overcook a corner, but will allow a little bit of slip.

Joker328

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Red 3.0 Premium MT
Would you launch in 2nd gear with the manual transmission as well? All I do is spin even with 295
I'm not a drag racer, but I wouldn't, especially given the uncertainty about how robust the clutch is in the MT. 1st in the auto is shorter than 1st in the MT, which is why people launch in 2nd. Also, on the auto you are just putting the heat into the torque converter, which can take it for short periods.
Sponsored