If not the New Supra, then what?

What other car are you looking forward to?

• Mazda R7/8 successor

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • Nissan Z successor

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Honda S2000 successor

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • R36 GT-R

Votes: 25 24.0%

• Total voters

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet
As the title states:
When the Supra comes out what else would you be looking at to compare this too?

Personally my fiance and I are looking at the up and coming porsche GT4 that will probably release late 2018/early 2019.
We already have our pennies saved and the Supra will be in the same price range here in Canada.

Around this time and when the Supra releases we have potentially:

• The new Camaro z28 (The last one was so good and the new ZL1 has already proven to be awesome)
  • A more extreme Honda type R - The chief engineer has already said an AWD version is coming and with more power as well as another variant not yet disclosed.
  • Porsche 718 GTS and GT4 - previously known as the Cayman, spy shots of the GT4 have already been shown and it is rumored to have the de-tuned GT3 motor.
  • The new Focus RS is coming and it may be coming with the 400 horsepower RS500 although it's up in the air.
  • Mustang 350(r) may come back as a 2018 model and the currently revealed 2018 mustangs look great. Flat plane V8s are probably the best sounding motor out there.
  • Perhaps we will finally see a motor update in a new model Subaru STI. With the sudden arrival of so many hot hatches, Subaru might actually have to innovate again!
  • Nissan is has already stated a Z replacement is in the works. What it will be is anyone's guess, but the original Z creator wants it to be lightweight and nimble. Perhaps it may come out shortly after the Supra.
  • Lastly, used! With so many sports cars coming and going, the world is your oyster! Used RS's, used 370s! Even used GTRs are now affordable!
Now of course not all the these car can be directly cross shopped as some have drastically lower price tags than the Supra was stated to start at, but they all fit the "spirited driving" and track focused philosophy.

That's some stiff Competition!

Let's hear what you think.

Sammy82

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'99 Subaru sti
Interesting list. My alternative list is the following:

1) BMW 1M coupe
2) used C63
3) Porsche 997 series II in manual
4) 2000 Audi RS

Very odd list I know but I can go either way if I see something I like coming up for sale.

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
current: 2016 Audi A7 . Past: 996TT,997cab, 997TT, R8 V10, 13 FR-S
Used GT3.
Used GT4.
Used Mclaren 570LT or 650S
Used 458 Italia.

Dreamin big.

I was also thinking about a Corvette C2 resto-mod with a blown 350.

Shit. I'm all over the map.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
While a GT4 is on the list of cars I would love to own (funny how we all really like that thing!), I don't think I'll be cross shopping the Supra with anything else. I just want a Supra. To be honest, I might even buy it if it's a flop, I'm just too much of a fanboy.

Maybe after owning the Supra for a while, I'll think about other cars, but for now that's distant. The only thing I would forgo the Supra for would be if, by some miracle, I had enough money for an LFA. But I really don't see that happening anytime soon lol.

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet
While a GT4 is on the list of cars I would love to own (funny how we all really like that thing!), I don't think I'll be cross shopping the Supra with anything else. I just want a Supra. To be honest, I might even buy it if it's a flop, I'm just too much of a fanboy.

Maybe after owning the Supra for a while, I'll think about other cars, but for now that's distant. The only thing I would forgo the Supra for would be if, by some miracle, I had enough money for an LFA. But I really don't see that happening anytime soon lol.
Yeah I hear yeah. Honestly even with my money saved my chances of getting a GT4 will be slim to none since current owners get asked first and I've never owned a new Porsche.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
i would be interested in a Z4 M coupe if BMW decides to release one.

Makarony

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Makarony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Makarony Model 1, Makarony Model 2
and the NSX, GTR, and Z car are already in production, and Mazda might be making a new RX...
When is Mitsubishi going to bring back the GTO? The 90s are back!!!

Timmo598

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Toyota Supra, 02 Nissan Silvia, 09 370Z
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, its definitely looking interesting out in the sports car market now.
With the Evo finished up, Mitsubishi definitely need something in their line up to make the brand more enticing. The GTO would be an awesome start! :)

The only issue i am having with a lot of the Japanese companies bringing back some of the 'halo' cars.
Is they seem to have started losing their ''enthusiast feel''.
For E.g. the GTR & the NSX. Both only come in auto, both are super expensive and seem to have been designed for the best track times instead of driver fun.

I just dont want these manufacturers to lose sight of what cars like these are all about...
So yes, its definitely great to see all this happening but a little sad at the same time.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Yeah, its definitely looking interesting out in the sports car market now.
With the Evo finished up, Mitsubishi definitely need something in their line up to make the brand more enticing. The GTO would be an awesome start! :)

The only issue i am having with a lot of the Japanese companies bringing back some of the 'halo' cars.
Is they seem to have started losing their ''enthusiast feel''.
For E.g. the GTR & the NSX. Both only come in auto, both are super expensive and seem to have been designed for the best track times instead of driver fun.

I just dont want these manufacturers to lose sight of what cars like these are all about...
So yes, its definitely great to see all this happening but a little sad at the same time.
to be fair the Z and new Si/Type R are the enthusiast choices below those halo cars so to me it always made sense to place their halo cars at the very top where they could get the green light from the board members to go all out.

Timmo598

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Toyota Supra, 02 Nissan Silvia, 09 370Z
Vehicle Showcase
to be fair the Z and new Si/Type R are the enthusiast choices below those halo cars so to me it always made sense to place their halo cars at the very top where they could get the green light from the board members to go all out.
Yeah, you have a fair point, this is true.
I suppose I shouldn't be comparing it too much to the halo cars of old lol.
Gotta get with the times

Last edited:

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I could see a new GTO/3000GT being a rebadged or reskin Nissan Z.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
The next Z. The top of the line model is rumored to have 400-500hp with a $50k price tag.
Sponsored