Interviews with Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Because Porsche is better at making an ornament out of an inconvenience. Toyota doesn’t see the value of a manual and don’t want to spend the R&D on developing it for the Supra. Porsche have already developed their technology and are willing to put their manual transmission into cars since it is profitable for them.
I don't think it is profitable for them either. Remember, it is Porsche's SUVs that saved their ass & pays their bills.

I admit not having sticks on Porsches probably hurts their overall brand image whereas the Supra not having one wouldn't have the same effect on the Toyota, though the Supra's image could be slightly tarnished.
Sponsored

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
I don't think it is profitable for them either. Remember, it is Porsche's SUVs that pays their bills.
It’s much more profitable for them than it would be for Toyota. Toyota has to develop the technology, Porsche already has it and probably uses it in multiple models. So Toyota has to sink cost into the R&D before they can even sell it. Toyota will start in the red. Porsche just has to sell it since they already sunk R&D dollars into developing it.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
It’s much more profitable for them than it would be for Toyota. Toyota has to develop the technology, Porsche already has it and probably uses it in multiple models. So Toyota has to sink cost into the R&D before they can even sell it. Toyota will start in the red. Porsche just has to sell it since they already sunk R&D dollars into developing it.
..but wasn't that the whole point of sharing development costs and pretty much using an existing i6 drivetrain that already has a stick? and what do you concur is "more profitable"? Porsche's revenue is 10 x smaller than Toyota's! ..you can cut it any way you want, but it all comes down to do if they care enough or not.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
..but wasn't that the whole point of sharing development costs and pretty much using an existing i6 drivetrain that already has a stick? and what do you concur is "more profitable"? Porsche's revenue is 10 x smaller than Toyota's! ..you can cut it any way you want, but it all comes down to do if they care enough or not.
Toyota projected a $500 million cost in developing a manual for the Supra.

Porsche already developed a manual for their sports cars. Therefore from this point on they are recouping cost of that initial investment they made, who knows how long ago, to develop their manual. So every car they sell now is just a return on an investment already made.

Toyota on the other hand has to spend that 500m and hope to make it back selling just manual Supras (it won’t happen).

Now, the Supra needs to be just profitable enough to justify it existing in the future. As we already know, the previous Supra was discontinued because it’s profitability didn’t justify its continued existence.

So if you want the Supra to exist, you need to change your expectations and let the automotive industry evolve. We’re only headed in one directions folks.

decryphe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1984 AE86 Trueno GT-Apex 2-door, and a Camry
So if you want the Supra to exist, you need to change your expectations and let the automotive industry evolve. We’re only headed in one directions folks.
Unless there's a manual, I'll just take my money and hand it over to Lotus instead as they build cars to my liking and even use Toyota engines in them.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Unless there's a manual, I'll just take my money and hand it over to Lotus instead as they build cars to my liking and even use Toyota engines in them.
Vote with your wallet. Toyota already calculated their take rate on manuals (20%) and decided it was worth the loss.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
Yup, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the M240i come with a manual? Its not like the are developing a brand new bespoke transmission for this car.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota projected a $500 million cost in developing a manual for the Supra.
Toyota needs to go with formula's that work...and have been proven! why spend $500 million on developing a manual transmission??? That ludicrous!!! There are plenty of out-of-the box manual transmissions that they could use if they want to add a manual that would not only be 100 times cheaper, but also be proven to last. I still think a manual is useless nowadays for fast sports cars...maybe ok for smaller entry level cars that don't output alot of power (cough...GT-86....cough). However, if a manual will help in sales, then a Getrag from BMW's inventory should do well. $500 million is not only a waste of money, it doesn't benefit the car's purpose one bit as being a contender on the track to other high-performance sports cars.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Yup, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the M240i come with a manual? Its not like the are developing a brand new bespoke transmission for this car.
They have to have it work with the Toyota Safety System and a boat load of other requirements. Thus the price.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
They have to have it work with the Toyota Safety System and a boat load of other requirements. Thus the price.
...they are all very poor excuses, you don't need to be defending them especially considering you personally don't understand or want a stick :) Like @Jeff Lange pointed out, Toyota is still dumping money into sticks and they even partnered up with Mazda who have successfully incorporated emergency stop into their manuals.

It is all very hypocritical especially when you look at the 86. Go look at every major 86/BRZ project out there with or without an engine swap, nearly every single one has a stick so it isn't like there wouldn't be consumers who couldn't fork over the money to get a MK5 Supra with one. Yes, the size of that niche market is questionable but this isn't supposed to be a car for everyone, otherwise they wouldn't have gone through the trouble of developing the MK5 to be even smaller than the 86.

..while you think Porsche just has a trans sitting around that they can use anytime, I also hope you realize manual gearbox designs have barely changed for several decades for everyone, so it has nothing to do with the "development" costs. There is really nothing to engineer or develop, it just depends if they want to fork over more cash to buy the inventory and create additional warranties to cover them, etc...which all reeks of cost cutting which is sad for a supposed halo coupe. Remember, the AZ6 manual trans in the 86/BRZ has been out since the 90s as it is just a derivative of the same box used the S2000 & NC Miata..

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
it's really about Toyota being obsessed with the TSS thing, which could easily be forgone especially since a large portion of the car is BMW tech and they have the manual.

but they are obsessed with it in some shape or form and didn't want to pay to adapt it to bmw systems for 20% of buyers.

it's only a good excuse if we're talking about cost cutting, and that is indeed what it is overall.

so to recap: $500m is not to develop a manual; it would be to develop a manual suite compatible with TSS, which would be ground up integration/engineering.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
it's really about Toyota being obsessed with the TSS thing, which could easily be forgone especially since a large portion of the car is BMW tech and they have the manual.

but they are obsessed with it in some shape or form and didn't want to pay to adapt it to bmw systems for 20% of buyers.

it's only a good excuse if we're talking about cost cutting, and that is indeed what it is overall.

so to recap: $500m is not to develop a manual; it would be to develop a manual suite compatible with TSS, which would be ground up integration/engineering.
...still absolutely baffling considering both BMW & Mazda, both of which are partners with Toyota, are really the top 2 automakers who have already figured out how to incorporate these safety systems onto a powertrain with a stick.. Plus, let's be real here, we're really only talking about automatic emergency braking, the rest like lane keeping & dynamic cruise control doesn't have any bearing on the transmission. I guess the concern people have with a stick + emergency braking is merely stalling out but who cares if the car stalls if it is trying to save your ass...Mazda has done it this way and I have yet to read of any issues..plus any experienced manual driver will slam on both the clutch + brakes in an emergency..

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
yeah, I mean if I was Toyota I would have just not used AEB or if it absolutely had to be done use the BMW system. oh well...

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
"Do you really think the Supra needs a manual?” he asks. “After all, the gear shifting is slower on a manual..."

Seriously?!! With all due respect to Tada-san (..well what's left of it); this is the WRONG logic when building a "pure" sports car.

am beyond disappointed!

I thought he didnt care for outright lap records? If they're targeting porsche; they have certainly heard of the manual GT3 backlash.

ふざけるな!I really, really, hope he was being sarcastic with that answer...
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.