Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
Ya well, I'm quoting the figure from caranddriver. You could claim to be John Porsche himself hand building manual 911's in your garage in Stuttgart but unless you can site aye sources I'm not inclined to believe you.
Try to not let your emotion take defense of the actuality.

My source was the CEO... Article dated in 2001
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2001-01-11/a-chat-with-porsches-wendelin-wiedeking

"The Porsche customer has always been [relatively] young. [In the U.S.] the typical 911 buyer is 46 to 65, average age 52. Household income: $310,000. The Boxster buyer is 36 to 55, with an average age of 47 [and] an average income of $243,000. [Buyers are] entrepreneurs, doctors."

The fact that you site sources adds no validity when your argument is contextually inaccurate. A source is only relevant to the information applied.

I was not disputing the fact that manual is on a downward trend, I was simply stating that you can't compare the 911 or Porsche buyer to that of the Supra Buyer. The markets are completely different and so the take rates would reflect such.The correlation is direct and as simple as I originally said.

Bottom line. The average Porsche buyer is more established, more affluent, older. The desire for them wanting a manual transmission overall would be much different from that of a potential Supra Buyer. boom.
Sponsored

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Try to not let your emotion take defense of the actuality.

My source was the CEO... Article dated in 2001
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2001-01-11/a-chat-with-porsches-wendelin-wiedeking

"The Porsche customer has always been [relatively] young. [In the U.S.] the typical 911 buyer is 46 to 65, average age 52. Household income: $310,000. The Boxster buyer is 36 to 55, with an average age of 47 [and] an average income of $243,000. [Buyers are] entrepreneurs, doctors."

The fact that you site sources adds no validity when your argument is contextually inaccurate. A source is only relevant to the information applied.

I was not disputing the fact that manual is on a downward trend, I was simply stating that you can't compare the 911 or Porsche buyer to that of the Supra Buyer. The markets are completely different and so the take rates would reflect such.The correlation is direct and as simple as I originally said.

Bottom line. The average Porsche buyer is more established, more affluent, older. The desire for them wanting a manual transmission overall would be much different from that of a potential Supra Buyer. boom.
I think I misunderstood you since you said the "amount of people buying." I assumed you meant the manual take rate was 40%, 50% percent. Be that as it may, I think you are underestimating the cost of this car. Its been quoted at upper 40s-60s thousands. I don't see people in their 20s buying this car.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Wow what a heated thread...as much as I want a manual also...and I hope I am wrong but....I believe the powers to be has spoken on the option of a manual and I think the horse has already left the barn...

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
So a base car in Canada at $45k USD + 17% (the 86 markup) gives $52,650 CAD. Seems likely, and reasonable for 330 hp at 3000 lbs as long as it's not a decontented model that you need to drop another $10k on to get what you want (see: Porsche).

If the base is $50k USD then it's going to be a pricey $58,500 CAD here.
So 80k would be a higher tier car, not the regular supra, = CAD?
(would it even come to Canada)

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Just thinking we might only get the base trim here...as not all trims will probably come to north america but hoping they do...

mikenogo

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
is350
Just thinking we might only get the base trim here...as not all trims will probably come to north america but hoping they do...
if you been looking at the trims for different cars lately, we usually get AWD and topped out trims. We get less options then US market for sure, but we tend to get higher trim levels.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
if you been looking at the trims for different cars lately, we usually get AWD and topped out trims. We get less options then US market for sure, but we tend to get higher trim levels.
Totally agree that generally cars come to Canada in more fully optioned trims than in the US, driving up the price of course. I guess more of what I was getting at was on the power/performance side. For example it was mentioned on this forum that not all models will come to North America, rumors of a 400+ model but would that come here etc...

Blupra

First Name
Blu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2 and Honda S2000 - both 6MT
Interesting, a non turbo I-6 and a turbo I-6. Also high 40s to 55+ sounds better than the 55-80k I was hearing. Also important to note is they are chasing Porsche’s handling rather than their power.
80k would be a higher tier car, not the regular supra.

:D
That bloody emote is the death of this forum
So, is there going to be a non-turbo I6 (starting at $45k) in addition to a 400 hp Turbo I6 (starting around $55k)? Then maybe a crazy fast Gazoo version for $80k?

Please God let there be a manual transmission!

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
I'm pretty sure Tetsuya didn't say anything about a NA I6. All he said was a straight six was a must for the new Supra. It sounds like speculation that author decided to add for whatever reasons.

Blupra

First Name
Blu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2 and Honda S2000 - both 6MT
"At the moment 85 percent of Porsche’s global 911 production comes equipped with the PDK automatic, although that figure is trending downward of late."

https://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche-committed-to-manual-transmissions-for-as-long-as-possible/
Yes, I read this and this appears evident if you frequent rennlist where at least half of the people on the forum advocate for the PDK/AUTO tranny.

One interesting thing with p-cars is the difference in resale value for a manual vs. PDK. The manuals sell for more $$$ and sell quickly.

Porsche says the average 911 buyer is 56 with a $300k income and 85% want a PDK... In my experience, the average second or third owner of a 911 is 35 with $150k income and 50% or more want a manual. I know Porsche (and Toyota) mainly care about new car sales, but the value retention of used cars should be something they value too, and a manual will help that in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.