Interviews with Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada

Status
Not open for further replies.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
That determines how you interpret trim. For example, you can get both base and F-sport trim of the GS300 and GS350 and both base and premium trim of the Ecoboost and GT Mustangs.

I have found several VINs with US spec 4 cylinder models as posted in the 4 cylinder thread
+1

there is apparently base and premium for the I6, and there may be the same the I4 (might just be base however).

Still no manual. I did hear that Toyota and Getrag are on speaking terms though when I asked if they would be bringing discontinued parts back for the A80. Take that however you want :)
They may be on speaking terms, but Getrag said they would never work with Toyota ever again. The ex TRD engineer that was telling me about the history of the relationship (this was last summer) said this was still in full effect.

It would be nice if things got smoothed over, but the reasons for the issues were dealers sending transmissions back and not performing maintenance, checks, and repairs properly under warranty. So I'm unsure of how that would be easily resolved aside from Toyota forcing dealers into certification/compliance somehow and proving to Getrag it would not be an issue. Then again the A90 is new and Toyota isn't the same company it was back in the A80 days, and there is already going to be training and new tooling required so.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dominator19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JZA80 Supra, 1Jz E36 M3
+1

there is apparently base and premium for the I6, and there may be the same the I4 (might just be base however).

They may be on speaking terms, but Getrag said they would never work with Toyota ever again. The ex TRD engineer that was telling me about the history of the relationship (this was last summer) said this was still in full effect.

It would be nice if things got smoothed over, but the reasons for the issues were dealers sending transmissions back and not performing maintenance and repairs properly under warranty. So I'm unsure of how that would be easily resolved aside from Toyota forcing dealers into certification/compliance somehow and proving to Getrag it would not be an issue. Then again the A90 is new and Toyota isn't the same company it was back in the A80 days, and there is already going to be training and new tooling required so.
I asked about the falling out between Toyota and Getrag and was told there never was a ā€œfalling outā€. Toyota was simply not ordering the numbers required to keep the v160 parts into production. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s more to the story but this is what I was told.

Either way, as a v160 owner I was very excited to hear that conversation has been started.

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
I asked about the falling out between Toyota and Getrag and was told there never was a ā€œfalling outā€. Toyota was simply not ordering the numbers required to keep the v160 parts into production. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s more to the story but this is what I was told.

Either way, as a v160 owner I was very excited to hear that conversation has been started.
Oh, you interviewed Tada-san already? What else were you able to ask about? Or what Tada actually entertained with an answer? lol

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
"Entertained", indeed. The guy's playing with us at this point.
At least we'll see the production model in two months.
(Sidenote: Any A70 Supra Turbo owners here? I'm thinking of buying one, and would like some educated tips such as 7M vs 1JZ, maintenance, and daily driver capability. Thanks so much!)

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
"Entertained", indeed. The guy's playing with us at this point.
At least we'll see the production model in two months.
(Sidenote: Any A70 Supra Turbo owners here? I'm thinking of buying one, and would like some educated tips such as 7M vs 1JZ, maintenance, and daily driver capability. Thanks so much!)
Yes they are definitely toying with us.

7Ms are good motors, not JZ great, but good nonetheless. They got a lot of hate because they needed a headgasket at 100k, but many Subarus have the same issues and people rave how reliable they are :confused:. My uncle has owned his mk3 since the early 90s with over 250k and I sold mine with almost 300k on it. But they are all 30 years old now and will need plenty of maintenance if youre modifying, and will need a proper standalone if you want to make good power. Why go 1jz when 2jz isnt much more in the long run?

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm kinda leaning towards them not even showing it at the NAIAS. Remember how many times we thought we'd see it at other autoshows?

I'm planning to keep it mostly stock, maybe 350 or so. And most of the ones I see are around 150k miles. I can do basic to medium repairs, thanks to ChrisFix, so anything else special I should know? Where would I get parts?
Also, just for the heck of it, how would this compare to an R31 Skyline GTS-X?

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I'm kinda leaning towards them not even showing it at the NAIAS. Remember how many times we thought we'd see it at other autoshows?

I'm planning to keep it mostly stock, maybe 350 or so. And most of the ones I see are around 150k miles. I can do basic to medium repairs, thanks to ChrisFix, so anything else special I should know? Where would I get parts?
Also, just for the heck of it, how would this compare to an R31 Skyline GTS-X?
But this time it is actually confirmed, the rest were just rumors

Driftmotion is your friend, the owner is or was a mk3 owner. I personally wouldnt own a car that wasn't imported to the states, getting parts would be a nightmare.

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ok.

Ok, thanks.
Lmao.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
7Ms are piles of garbage that should be relegated to the dump where the vast majority of Japanese owners dropped theirs in the 90s.

sidenote: motors that are opposed to themselves (see: boxer) were never a great idea; self hate is a big contributor to engine suicide. this message has been brought to you by the society for preventing Subaru ownership.

Last edited:

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Could you reliably run a 7M daily? Or should I 1JZ it? I've heard they'e fine as-is.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.