First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition Refraction Blue
Since I've been using a custom Map 6 built by Jesse - 1fastsupra, I have gotten a lot of questions about how it all works. So rather than just writing about the process, I put together a video to talk through the process, my experience with it, and just my overall thoughts about the JB4 vs an ECU tune, who it makes sense for, and who it doesn't. Enjoy!

Sponsored

devnull

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra 3.0 premium, 2021 Tesla M3P
Are there any accurate dyno numbers/track times for cars running jb4? On youtube you can find countless mhd/bm3/ecutek videos showing such, but I can't see to find anything on jb4 outside of simple install videos.

Do you have dragy times comparing custom map 6 vs map 2?

OP
OP
Spiguyver

Spiguyver

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition Refraction Blue
Are there any accurate dyno numbers/track times for cars running jb4? On youtube you can find countless mhd/bm3/ecutek videos showing such, but I can't see to find anything on jb4 outside of simple install videos.

I'm sure Jesse can provide a lot of what you're asking for. I have plenty of dragy runs comparing different maps. I could also go out and do some new ones and even capture them on video if that's something that interests anyone. For the dragy the comparisons I have are on a custom 40-100 run setup since the area I was using wasn't conducive to a 60-130 run.

If we go all the way back to when I first got the car, it was doing the 40-100 in stock setup in 7.33 seconds. I added the JB4 and ran it through the different maps to see what it would do and Map 1 gave me 6.86, Map 2 have me 5.99 seconds, Map 3 and Map 5 both gave me 5.80 seconds. On Map 6 I got 5.52 seconds.

Note, I am not doing 40-100 anymore due to lack of traction at and below 40 mph, making the times actually worse now.

Hop this helps!

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black

Ran 11.4 with a trash 60' with JB4 + Jesse Tune.

devnull

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Is that just with a jb4 and nothing else? Also what kind of trap speed increase did you see?

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Since I've been using a custom Map 6 built by Jesse - 1fastsupra, I have gotten a lot of questions about how it all works. So rather than just writing about the process, I put together a video to talk through the process, my experience with it, and just my overall thoughts about the JB4 vs an ECU tune, who it makes sense for, and who it doesn't. Enjoy!

Umm.. no offence, but that video was 7 minutes of not a lot of information.

In my FN2 Type-R, my <$1000AUD Hondata with a mild tune increased the rev limit to 8600rpm, gave me an extra 10-15kw and improved my fuel economy. With the tune, everything just felt a bit more urgent. This was achieved by plugging in the Hondata via the OBDII port as a one off flash. My car is otherwise stock. While the Hondata gives me access to many parameters, a tuner who knows what they're doing can provide a reliable and proven tune. My tune was from Jtune in Melbourne and it's great.

You've just learned more about a Hondata and my experience with it in one paragraph than I learned about JB4s in 7 minutes. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

devnull

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JB4 + meth + E40 and a tire. I don't have any slips from when it was stock.
What was the trap speed on that run if you don't mind me asking? I'm really just interested in seeing if the gains are worth it and actually finding said gains on a 21 isn't as simple as I was hoping :)

I've had a jb4 before on my old mk7 golf R and it was ok, but it didn't hold a candle to a flash tune. However, it might be worth it on this car since the only other options are to send the ECU away.

devnull

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

In my FN2 Type-R, my <$1000AUD Hondata with a mild tune increased the rev limit to 8600rpm, gave me an extra 10-15kw and improved my fuel economy. With the tune, everything just felt a bit more urgent. This was achieved by plugging in the Hondata via the OBDII port as a one off flash. My car is otherwise stock. While the Hondata gives me access to many parameters, a tuner who knows what they're doing can provide a reliable and proven tune. My tune was from Jtune in Melbourne and it's great.

You've just learned more about a Hondata and my experience with it in one paragraph than I learned about JB4s in 7 minutes. 🤷‍♂️
Here's the thing, he has multiple youtube videos talking more about jb4's. This one specifically was just overall impressions of getting a custom map on the jb4. If you want to actually learn about what it is, check it out here: https://burgertuning.com/products/jb4-for-a90-toyota-supra

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
What was the trap speed on that run if you don't mind me asking? I'm really just interested in seeing if the gains are worth it and actually finding said gains on a 21 isn't as simple as I was hoping :)

I've had a jb4 before on my old mk7 golf R and it was ok, but it didn't hold a candle to a flash tune. However, it might be worth it on this car since the only other options are to send the ECU away.
122 trap. lol, 1.8 60'

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium

Question for you: Does the FN2 have enough room in the back to store your purse?