JB4 Custom Map 93 Octane

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Thank you i’m running 93 here in FL as well, it’s hot, it’s muggy its not ideal. We get good air like 4 days a year LOL.

As for the facebook post if it’s possible to find out was Map 1-4 also run with E85 or did they do a custom map 6 to run E85? That is a big difference since the higher HP would be more a result of E85 and less a result of custom tuning using 93 across the board.

What I think is helpful for all of us to understand, who use JB4, is was custom tune really made available so you can tune alternative fuels and if your just gonna run 93 across the board probably not gonna make much difference between say map 3/4 and custom on 93. I’m sure a bunch of us don’t want to throw away $600 and get basically what we already had.
HP isn’t interesting. The shape of the curve is interesting. We all know exactly how much boost is getting added on each map. It’s clear as Crystal on the burger website. The way it feels is far more important that some number in a graph.

Also- for late model sports car owners, I hope that $600 isn’t really an interesting amount of money. Not that any of us would want to throw away $600, I certainly wouldn’t, but it’s 1% of the price of the car, not exactly the price of a Monet.

If you’re trapped with a JB4, the Jesse tunes are 100% worth it.

Or don’t. Do whatever you want. It’s your car and your money. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sponsored

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
I agree peak HP isn’t interesting I want to know whats under the curve. I beat plenty of cars that made more peak HP than me but my car made more power everywhere.

the point I’m trying to convey is is you say you have a superior product and your going to charge a premium for it, prove it. Prove this is better, show my why I’m spending my dollars for what you offer. That isn‘t an unfair ask.

In todays world it’s really easy to do. Here is Map 2, 3, 4 out of the box graphs and here is my awesome custom tune and show us what it can do. I can say my product is great but is it really? That’s all I’m asking. I have no issue with $600 but like most I’m not going to just throw it away for nothing.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I agree peak HP isn’t interesting I want to know whats under the curve. I beat plenty of cars that made more peak HP than me but my car made more power everywhere.

the point I’m trying to convey is is you say you have a superior product and your going to charge a premium for it, prove it. Prove this is better, show my why I’m spending my dollars for what you offer. That isn‘t an unfair ask.

In todays world it’s really easy to do. Here is Map 2, 3, 4 out of the box graphs and here is my awesome custom tune and show us what it can do. I can say my product is great but is it really? That’s all I’m asking. I have no issue with $600 but like most I’m not going to just throw it away for nothing.
I would say it's more than just numbers. It's how smooth it is. Most of the off the shelf maps are not smooth at all to the point where you notice it when driving. Even if Jesse's tunes made the same hp/tq as an off the shelf map, it's going to drive way better, not pull timing/close throttle and overall just be better.

Here is my personal example. He took something that looked like this (off the shelf map)...

Screenshot_20221207-202120_JB4 Mobile.jpg

And turned it into something like this....

Screenshot_20221207-201811_JB4 Mobile.jpg

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Tungsten Supra 3.0 Premium
I read the whole thread but no one has really answered the OP’s question, which I also would like to know.

What is say a custom Jesse Map on JB4 HP wise.. Is it 4hp, is it 40 hp More?

We have quite a few dyno runs with cars just running Map 2 and Map 3 and I was hoping he’d have some results on the website but there aren’t. If you’re gonna charge $575 for a tune I would hope you would put some real world results. Here is JB4 stock map 2, 3 and here is my custom tune see the awesome difference. But there isn’t anything. Just a dyno graph showing 500hp but is that just a random graph, what mods, etc.

A lot of what I’ve read here and seen on youtube is “feels great”, “love it”, “ you should do it” but all butt Dyno no real world custom JB4 custom tune results. I “love” my Map3 tune on my JB4 but is his tune gonna make more power (safely) than the out of the box tunes that have been perfected over 10’s of thousands of cars and Dyno’s? Am I gonna spend $600 and it not make any more power just feel different?

An aside: I’m not taking the ECU out and unlocking (though my 2/20 car may be unlocked) I’m already down the road of JB4, I have an extended warranty and If I want to i can remove it for dealer work or ECU updates the dealer might have without fussing with having to go pay someone to flash or reflash or take the ECU. For me this is the solution I chose and I want to make it the best it can be. IS there better, sure But this works for me.

So anyone actually Dyno a JB4 custom tune, map 6 or even better did you do before and after on a Dyno or drag strip between stock JB4 maps and custom JB4 Map (Jesse’s or anyone else’s)? hard to drop $600 with no proof in the pudding as they say.

would also like to see them add AFR on the dyno charts everyone posts. Make sure it’s safe.
Same reason why you don't see any of my personal cars dyno graphs. The don't mean much with a proper baseline.

Fastest stock turbo jb4 car is 10.8 in the 1/4 mile and 7.8 60-130 and to my knowledge there hasnt been any b58s on a jb4 coming close without me being involved :) If you want to rent a dyno and pay for me to be available for 2 hours to do a proper baseline and tuning to show a dyno sheet be my guest.

Imo you shouldn't get held up on a dyno numbers. Are you going to see +50 hp with me setting a custom map for you on 93 no. Will it be +10 (over map 2) probably close to that, but drivability, how the car feels and reacts should be weighed over a dyno number for 99.99% of jb4 users. If you are looking to make the most power to hang up on your fridge trust me when I say 93 and jb4 is never going to do it for you.

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My customers recommendations and word of mouth to me speaks louder than anything I can post. If you are questions it's worth and you're stuck in Florida heat with 93 I'd say pass. Plus your already running map 3 on 93 I'd likely lower your boost as that's definitely going to be way too much.

Jakester

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
I read the whole thread but no one has really answered the OP’s question, which I also would like to know.

What is say a custom Jesse Map on JB4 HP wise.. Is it 4hp, is it 40 hp More?

We have quite a few dyno runs with cars just running Map 2 and Map 3 and I was hoping he’d have some results on the website but there aren’t. If you’re gonna charge $575 for a tune I would hope you would put some real world results. Here is JB4 stock map 2, 3 and here is my custom tune see the awesome difference. But there isn’t anything. Just a dyno graph showing 500hp but is that just a random graph, what mods, etc.

A lot of what I’ve read here and seen on youtube is “feels great”, “love it”, “ you should do it” but all butt Dyno no real world custom JB4 custom tune results. I “love” my Map3 tune on my JB4 but is his tune gonna make more power (safely) than the out of the box tunes that have been perfected over 10’s of thousands of cars and Dyno’s? Am I gonna spend $600 and it not make any more power just feel different?

An aside: I’m not taking the ECU out and unlocking (though my 2/20 car may be unlocked) I’m already down the road of JB4, I have an extended warranty and If I want to i can remove it for dealer work or ECU updates the dealer might have without fussing with having to go pay someone to flash or reflash or take the ECU. For me this is the solution I chose and I want to make it the best it can be. IS there better, sure But this works for me.

So anyone actually Dyno a JB4 custom tune, map 6 or even better did you do before and after on a Dyno or drag strip between stock JB4 maps and custom JB4 Map (Jesse’s or anyone else’s)? hard to drop $600 with no proof in the pudding as they say.

would also like to see them add AFR on the dyno charts everyone posts. Make sure it’s safe.
Just FYI, pretty sure once you put the jb4 on the dealer can still pull up the history of the ecu and see that you tampered with it which will void any warranty work on related parts affected. And if you have a 2/20 ecu I don't even think it needs to be removed from the car to be unlocked. Maybe someone else can confirm with 100% certainty. Either way with a 2/20 ecu I can't imagine why you would even go the jb4 route when a simple unlock with an ots map would be much smoother, faster, and safer based on my personal experience. I honestly think that if your broadened your horizons you would be glad that you did. Jb4 is a great alternative and benefit for those that couldn't unlock at the time but buddy you have more options.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Thank you i’m running 93 here in FL as well, it’s hot, it’s muggy its not ideal. We get good air like 4 days a year LOL.

As for the facebook post if it’s possible to find out was Map 1-4 also run with E85 or did they do a custom map 6 to run E85? That is a big difference since the higher HP would be more a result of E85 and less a result of custom tuning using 93 across the board.

What I think is helpful for all of us to understand, who use JB4, is was custom tune really made available so you can tune alternative fuels and if your just gonna run 93 across the board probably not gonna make much difference between say map 3/4 and custom on 93. I’m sure a bunch of us don’t want to throw away $600 and get basically what we already had.
I’m south of you in Ft. Myers and have a catless dp, track exhaust, intake, and run on 93 only. Glad we have that over 91 here in FL. What a difference on track this custom tune makes! No dyno but I’ve spent 2 long weekends at Homestead and Sebring trying multiple maps and none. When I’m on map 6 (Jesse’s custom tune) the cars blasts out of the apex and power delivery is smooth and predictable every time. When I’m on the back straight of Sebring, my top speed is 4-5 mph faster before my braking point. And my lap times are consistently faster…. I’m the least technical guy on here. But holy crap dude, now that I’ve done it, I hate turning off my custom tune map 6. It’s that much smoother and a bat outta hell. On track and in town. It really feels like the best of both worlds. I’m a spoiled brat with it now… I know you want dyno numbers. I wanted to give you my honest opinion from another sweaty humid brother from the subtropics. And Jesse just had a Black Friday sale. That’s what I did. I bought on a sale and I tuned it later. He didn’t care. Cool as a cucumber to work with. We don’t even get commission or referrals. So it really does speak volumes come to think of it

My customers recommendations and word of mouth to me speaks louder than anything I can post. If you are questions it's worth and you're stuck in Florida heat with 93 I'd say pass. Plus your already running map 3 on 93 I'd likely lower your boost as that's definitely going to be way too much.
Sorry Jesse but I have to disagree with you. Despite how many runs you had to work with me, my car has a much smoother power delivery now. Yes with the stock tires, they couldn’t handle that added boost. However on my track tires, there is no comparison. I found out if it’s too hot (6 months out of the year) on track, the car will loose power regardless of what tune I’m using or if JB4 is turned off. It’s wicked hot and humid down here. Found out from other track Supra guys that track down here. And I can address that later. But I do drive with your custom map 6 on in town now. The stock tune and other maps just feel awful in comparison. I’m still driving in town with my track tires. I’ll fix that later too 😉. You’ve spoiled us Jesse. That’s part of the problem why everyone jumps on the get the map 6 custom tune bandwagon. My 2 cents. Carry on 🫡

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
That’s what I needed to know, saves me the $600 if you can’t make it better then what it is now then no point in spending the coin.

“Jesse DaBears said:
Same reason why you don't see any of my personal cars dyno graphs. The don't mean much with a proper baseline.

Fastest stock turbo jb4 car is 10.8 in the 1/4 mile and 7.8 60-130 and to my knowledge there hasnt been any b58s on a jb4 coming close without me being involved :) If you want to rent a dyno and pay for me to be available for 2 hours to do a proper baseline and tuning to show a dyno sheet be my guest.

Imo you shouldn't get held up on a dyno numbers. Are you going to see +50 hp with me setting a custom map for you on 93 no. Will it be +10 (over map 2) probably close to that, but drivability, how the car feels and reacts should be weighed over a dyno number for 99.99% of jb4 users. If you are looking to make the most power to hang up on your fridge trust me when I say 93 and jb4 is never going to do it for you.
JB4 does it just fine for me. it’s what I’ve chosen. I didn’t say i wanted it to be the fastest Supra on the planet, I just want it to be faster than stock with something that is easy for me to remove and even potentially transfer to another vehicle in the future. For my life it’s far less headache and work than a custom tune. But this isn’t “that” thread (Tune vs JB4).

I also disagree (its ok we can all agree to disagree totally normal) that’s like saying “my product is better but don’t measure it in any meaningful way to show my product is actually better”. We have the ability to measure and compare and we have a tool that will even do it that for us Why would we not use it. It wouldn’t be hard for you in the many Supra’s you have tuned to actually dyno your work and ensure your results are in fact better and safe. if you haven’t done that with a custom tune it concerns me that you have no measurable reassurance yours is actually good and safe and does what you say it does. Unless all your saying is “my tune has better driveablity” then in that sense cool That is exactly what I wanted to know.

Don’t take this against you personally we just want to know if any custom tune on the platform of our choice is worth doing. We all tend to get a little butt hurt when we think someone is challenging our authority or knowledge. I’m not at all I’m just asking prudent consumer questions. If I’m going to buy this product prove to me it’s better so it doesn’t blow my $50k car up. I don’t think that is unreasonable do you?

If you put your graph over a map 2 graph and the map 2 graph looks better then yours why would I change? If the power levels are similar, AFR’s and Timing are similar why take one over the other? Cuz my butt says so? I don’t experience any of the choppiness or drivability issues on any of the maps. it runs 15.9psi of boost on map 3 with a good AFR and good drivability If that’s to much then I’ll pop back down to map 2.

The entire goal of this post and the whole point of what we are asking is this:

What do I get out of a custom tune (Jesse or anyone elses) on a JB4. That is our tool of choice for the moment, all who run JB4 have done so for a reason and this isn’t the JB4 vs Custom Tune thread, we can start that debate over if you want too in another thread but this isn’t that thread.

So if we goto a custom tune what makes it better then out of the box maps and is there ANY proof to corroborate the ”Claim“ (because with no proof its just what you say) that it is in Some measurable way Actually better besides “my butt says its better”. Does it have better AFR, better timing, is it safer, is it more powerful. .Simply saying nobody is fast without me is pure Conjecture.

To round this out since everyone basically says JB4 sux and it’s not worth it get a custom tune then that also helps people make a more informed decision. Since JB4 sux no point in spending $600 for a custom tune on it. That in and of itself helps some make a better decision.…

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
I would say it's more than just numbers. It's how smooth it is. Most of the off the shelf maps are not smooth at all to the point where you notice it when driving. Even if Jesse's tunes made the same hp/tq as an off the shelf map, it's going to drive way better, not pull timing/close throttle and overall just be better.

Here is my personal example. He took something that looked like this (off the shelf map)...

Screenshot_20221207-202120_JB4 Mobile.jpg

And turned it into something like this....

Screenshot_20221207-201811_JB4 Mobile.jpg
Thank you for the charts that is really helpful. But also an interesting result too. So here are my graphs below. My Map2 and Map3 graphs don’t look near as crazy as yours they look closer too (but not exactly) to the custom map your running.

FFE0DFC9-0601-4453-B8F7-6810EB5F5C4C.png

5747CC0A-11EB-4886-B220-7D13A6406FD5.png

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That’s what I needed to know, saves me the $600 if you can’t make it better then what it is now then no point in spending the coin.

JB4 does it just fine for me. it’s what I’ve chosen. I didn’t say i wanted it to be the fastest Supra on the planet, I just want it to be faster than stock with something that is easy for me to remove and even potentially transfer to another vehicle in the future. For my life it’s far less headache and work than a custom tune. But this isn’t “that” thread (Tune vs JB4).

I also disagree (its ok we can all agree to disagree totally normal) that’s like saying “my product is better but don’t measure it in any meaningful way to show my product is actually better”. We have the ability to measure and compare and we have a tool that will even do it that for us Why would we not use it. It wouldn’t be hard for you in the many Supra’s you have tuned to actually dyno your work and ensure your results are in fact better and safe. if you haven’t done that with a custom tune it concerns me that you have no measurable reassurance yours is actually good and safe and does what you say it does. Unless all your saying is “my tune has better driveablity” then in that sense cool That is exactly what I wanted to know.

Don’t take this against you personally we just want to know if any custom tune on the platform of our choice is worth doing. We all tend to get a little butt hurt when we think someone is challenging our authority or knowledge. I’m not at all I’m just asking prudent consumer questions. If I’m going to buy this product prove to me it’s better so it doesn’t blow my $50k car up. I don’t think that is unreasonable do you?

If you put your graph over a map 2 graph and the map 2 graph looks better then yours why would I change? If the power levels are similar, AFR’s and Timing are similar why take one over the other? Cuz my butt says so? I don’t experience any of the choppiness or drivability issues on any of the maps. it runs 15.9psi of boost on map 3 with a good AFR and good drivability If that’s to much then I’ll pop back down to map 2.

The entire goal of this post and the whole point of what we are asking is this:

What do I get out of a custom tune (Jesse or anyone elses) on a JB4. That is our tool of choice for the moment, all who run JB4 have done so for a reason and this isn’t the JB4 vs Custom Tune thread, we can start that debate over if you want too in another thread but this isn’t that thread.

So if we goto a custom tune what makes it better then out of the box maps and is there ANY proof to corroborate the ”Claim“ (because with no proof its just what you say) that it is in Some measurable way Actually better besides “my butt says its better”. Does it have better AFR, better timing, is it safer, is it more powerful. .Simply saying nobody is fast without me is pure Conjecture.

To round this out since everyone basically says JB4 sux and it’s not worth it get a custom tune then that also helps people make a more informed decision. Since JB4 sux no point in spending $600 for a custom tune on it. That in and of itself helps some make a better decision.…
But thats the thing I dont advertise. I offer sales a handful of times a year but You dont see me in these posts telling you buy my service. ITs actually the opposite most times and its customers saying to buy my services. Go find a customer near you with same fuel and race him. $500 if you can video you beating him. Thats all I can offer you at this time.

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thank you for the charts that is really helpful. But also an interesting result too. So here are my graphs below. My Map2 and Map3 graphs don’t look near as crazy as yours they look closer too (but not exactly) to the custom map your running.

FFE0DFC9-0601-4453-B8F7-6810EB5F5C4C.png

5747CC0A-11EB-4886-B220-7D13A6406FD5.png
Based on the graph and what you said your car is running different than most. Your ECU PSI has to be around 10 for it to only be targeting 15-16 PSI on Map3 (usually indication of a boost leak somewhere) when almost all 2021 target 14-15 PSI Stock, so while you think your gaining a ton of performance your only 2 psi over what most cars typically run completely stock :)

Last edited:

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
You can thank +100° days and 91 octane for that. I now run an E25 blend and the graph is smoother then ever (only on the custom Jesse tune).
Sponsored