JB4 Hitting 25.7 PSI!

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
This whole discussion reminds me that I have a JB4 in the garage to install and I really wish I had already done it since it's driving weather again. So reading this, it sounds like on pump gas, Map 2 or 4 is where you want to be, or work with someone on a custom Map 6? Map 3 on a stock turbo is possible (likely?) to cause damage.
As mentioned earlier, I'd recommend getting a custom map6 from Jesse. It's tailored to your car, and power delivery feels smooth.

Map2 was a bit peaky, and map6 feels night and day better.
Sponsored

R_R8TED

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pixelatedgamer.com
Car(s)
2021 Supra MKV 3.0, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Agree with others in here. Jesse is the absolute best on the JB4 and our MKVs. He tuned my B48 (custom 93 and E30 map) and we just finished last week with my 93 tune on my 2021 3.0. Considering going E30 again late summer to fall, but in the meantime the car feels AMAZING. He is the real deal and his maps are worth every penny.

@Jesse DaBears always gets the timing, boost, fuel and other important tuning factors perfect. It gives you great peace of mind, knowing your powertrain is happy =) Just for example, we worked a few days on just getting the boost right and efficient as possible between gears, he's very detailed. Here is a link to his site and his custom map page for the MKV.

https://1fastsupra.com/products/a90-a91-mkv-supra-jb4-custom-maps-tuning

Matthewstorm

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium w/Carbon Fiber.
Agree with others in here. Jesse is the absolute best on the JB4 and our MKVs. He tuned my B48 (custom 93 and E30 map) and we just finished last week with my 93 tune on my 2021 3.0. Considering going E30 again late summer to fall, but in the meantime the car feels AMAZING. He is the real deal and his maps are worth every penny.

@Jesse DaBears always gets the timing, boost, fuel and other important tuning factors perfect. It gives you great peace of mind, knowing your powertrain is happy =) Just for example, we worked a few days on just getting the boost right and efficient as possible between gears, he's very detailed. Here is a link to his site and his custom map page for the MKV.

https://1fastsupra.com/products/a90-a91-mkv-supra-jb4-custom-maps-tuning
So, you pay almost $700 for JB4 then another $600 just for a Tune when there are Tunes included? That must be something very special.

Question: Does the OBD always have to be plugged in? I'm getting an LED steering wheel and that needs to be plugged in.

Thanks.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
So, you pay almost $700 for JB4 then another $600 just for a Tune when there are Tunes included? That must be something very special.

Question: Does the OBD always have to be plugged in? I'm getting an LED steering wheel and that needs to be plugged in.

Thanks.
Not cheap, but you’ll forget about the cost the first time you take it out after it’s dialed.

Yes, OBD must stay plugged in for everything to work as intended. If you unplug it, I believe the JB4 fails back to a specific state that doesn’t have control over certain aspects of the car.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Thanks.
A custom tune makes a difference. Someone who knows more about the JB4 can explain it more technically than I can, but from my reading of the logs, the boost was much more consistent over the rev band on the custom map than it was on maps 1 and 2 when I look at the sections where I was WOT.

I leave it plugged in using the splitter that came with my LED steering wheel. Works fine.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium

Thanks.
I currently have my car pulled apart to install a JB4 (and do 3 other minor projects at the same time). I'm planning on having @Jesse DaBears create a custom map for me after running map 2 for a while. @zrk (and many others here) have repeatedly recommended it, and based on his (and the other's) contributions to this community, it's obvious he knows what he's talking about. I'll admit that the first time I saw the price for creating a custom map I was surprised it was so much. But it's worth what people are willing to pay for it, and in this case, it's worth it to me due to the time I put in at the track. The way I look at it is that the whole JB4 situation isn't optimal from the start. In a perfect world, those of us with locked 2021+ ECUs would be able to pay $500 for a tune and simply unlock/flash via OBD2. That's not where the technology or market currently is, though. So this is what we have unless we want to go the Femto route for significantly more money and (unless you're willing to buy a 2nd ECU for even more jack) downtime.

I recently had a custom steering wheel made and installed. It's awesome and made a huge difference in my enjoyment of the car. I considered getting shift lights on it, but decided against it because I'd rather have the JB4 installed than flashy lights. I consider this a terrible failure of Toyota's, however, that we don't get revs on the HUD on a car like this. I'm banking on the aftermarket correcting this at some point and being able to go that route.

My $0.02.

• Love
Reactions: zrk

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Thanks.
You could also wait for a sale on Jesse's site. I got my tune during the Easter sale for ~$350.

OP
OP
PARA90N

PARA90N

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 GR Supra
Wanted to provide everyone with a quick update: car has been driving fine on Map 2 despite being in 100F+ heat.

Got a catted downpipe installed and stayed on Map 2, throttle response was a whole lot better and the previous hesitation experienced was gone.

Everyone here seems to wax lyrical about Jesse but I messaged him to get a custom tune and got zero response (lack of response is the last thing you’d want from a piggyback tuner lol).

I tried reaching out to BMS and even posted logs and started a thread on N54tech, and got no response either.

Seems like ECU unlock is the way to go especially if you’re getting bolt on parts and pushing more power and want safety and reliability.

Tribeq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2015 A3
Wanted to provide everyone with a quick update: car has been driving fine on Map 2 despite being in 100F+ heat.

Got a catted downpipe installed and stayed on Map 2, throttle response was a whole lot better and the previous hesitation experienced was gone.

Everyone here seems to wax lyrical about Jesse but I messaged him to get a custom tune and got zero response (lack of response is the last thing you’d want from a piggyback tuner lol).

I tried reaching out to BMS and even posted logs and started a thread on N54tech, and got no response either.

Seems like ECU unlock is the way to go especially if you’re getting bolt on parts and pushing more power and want safety and reliability.
I thought the same about Jesse until I decided to try it for myself. His custom map is hands down better than any of the maps that come on the JB4. It’s not even close. The included maps all felt really weird, especially during upshifts. Looking at the logs I could see that everywhere on the power band where I got this weird feeling from the car there was a big boost spike and an aggressive timing cut. All that is gone now and I know my car is making more power, more safely. I emailed him with some questions about his tuning and logging and it took him a few days to get back to me. No big deal. After I had paid for his services he would get back to me at the end of every day with new revisions. Once we finished tuning he also told me that if anything looked or felt funny to send him a log so he could revise the tune.

People “wax lyrical” about him because he knows what he’s doing and has a ton of satisfied customers like myself who are willing to back him up on his tunes. I HIGHLY recommend getting a custom JB4 tune from Jesse rather than using the included maps. Like I said before, when it comes to his work versus the OTS JB4 maps it’s not even close.

OP
OP
PARA90N

PARA90N

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 GR Supra
@Tribeq that’s fair. Not sure why he’s not responding to me on here though.

When did you acquire his services? And was it through here or by buying through his website?

DVMKV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Silverado, Rx8
@PARA90N I can confirm Jesse is very responsive and helpful with questions you may have throughout the process. Reaching him on here is not ideal. Try email/FB.

Tribeq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2015 A3

When did you acquire his services? And was it through here or by buying through his website?
I messaged him on here, then purchased it on his website. I bought it two weeks ago and finished tuning earlier this week.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black

he’s not super active on here. 1FastSupra.com or Jesse DaBears on FB.