Low oil warning: prudent response?

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
On my way home from Embarrassing myself at a Latin dance club, I got the low oil warning LESS THAN 400 MILES SINCE LAST OIL CHANGE. Mind you, that oil change was prompted by somewhat low oil at 2.5k miles.

Should I add oil or do I need to let Toyota see it as it is?

If I should add, what oil meets specs? I anticipating I might not be able to get the Toyota branded oil on a Sunday?

damnit.
F7176294-E8FE-4CC3-A79D-885D807E5301.jpeg
Sponsored

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
The manual will give you suggestions as to a compatible, non-Toyota oil. Main thing, is to get the one with the right viscosity specification. I would not drive it that low and if you can get it to the dealer to fill the oil, that would be best. Just follow the recommendations per the manual.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Did you check the oil after the change to verify it was at the correct level?

If so, that's certainly burning a fair amount. I'd go get a quart (with a different vehicle) add it, then take the car to the dealer.

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Did you check the oil after the change to verify it was at the correct level?

If so, that's certainly burning a fair amount. I'd go get a quart (with a different vehicle) add it, then take the car to the dealer.
Good question and I should have stated that I did check the level shortly after the oil change.

thanks for chiming in.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Do you have any visible where you park? That soon after a change (unless you've been tracking it hard during that 400 miles) would make me wonder if they didn't get the drain plug all the way tight or if the sensor was bad and it's full. Hate to see an overfill by a full quart just because the sensor was bad... but without a dipstick what can you do? :rolleyes:

I love it when technology makes things "easier" by taking perfectly reliable options away from us.

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Do you have any visible where you park? That soon after a change (unless you've been tracking it hard during that 400 miles) would make me wonder if they didn't get the drain plug all the way tight or if the sensor was bad and it's full. Hate to see an overfill by a full quart just because the sensor was bad... but without a dipstick what can you do? :rolleyes:

I love it when technology makes things "easier" by taking perfectly reliable options away from us.
No oil on the ground. Not a drop. Not tracked. Really puzzling.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
No oil on the ground. Not a drop. Not tracked. Really puzzling.
If that's not a sensor misreading that's some horrible burn! Agree quite puzzling and frustrating.

If there is such a thing as a "silver lining" in this... at that rate you'll never need an oil change because you'll have replaced the full 7 by the time it's due for one - so you can just do the filter. :doh:

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Yea that burn rate makes me think new car or new engine. I went 1,000 miles on mine after 1st oil change and didn't loose a drop.

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yea that burn rate makes me think new car or new engine. I went 1,000 miles on mine after 1st oil change and didn't loose a drop.
Argh! Iā€™ll keep everyone posted. Iā€™m quite happy with my Supra and will keep my fingers crossed.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I swear, the most wanted feature for the '22 cars should be an f'ing dipstick. Drives me crazy we need to rely on electronics for such a simple task. Have you tried taking the measurement multiple times while the car is at multiple locations? Remember most garages are built at a slight angle for drainage purposes (assuming yours is in a garage).

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)
The dancing sounds fun but Iā€™m sorry to hear about your oil woes OP. Are you running a piggyback or stock setup?

Reactions: zrk
OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The dancing sounds fun but Iā€™m sorry to hear about your oil woes OP. Are you running a piggyback or stock setup?
Dancing is quite challenging for me, but watching swaying hips was nice.

No piggyback. Got one waiting to go in, but concerns about oil consumption had me put installation off.

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Talked to service this morning. Asked if I should bring my Supra in or just monitor. Service rep said ā€œbring it in so we can mark the oil level on the dip stick and monitor the burn rate.ā€

Excuse me? Dip stick?

In fairness, he wasnā€™t their Supra guy. I did get ahold of the Supra guy, who took my call while on vacation, literally with a fish on the hook!!! He said, bring it in.

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Nice, bring it in is the right way. I think there's one more warning message after the one you see, that tells you to add oil immediately...so just take it to the dealer. Interested in what they come up with!

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
I swear, the most wanted feature for the '22 cars should be an f'ing dipstick. Drives me crazy we need to rely on electronics for such a simple task. Have you tried taking the measurement multiple times while the car is at multiple locations? Remember most garages are built at a slight angle for drainage purposes (assuming yours is in a garage).
The oil measuring system in the Supra (and other BMWs) is pretty much the textbook example of over-engineering something. They took a bulletproof, easy to use and time proven component and made it failure prone and difficult to use instead.
Sponsored