New Toyota Supra rumored to get Toyota twin turbo V6 engine

Would you pay $50k-$60k for a 350-400hp "Supra"?

• Yes

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Maybe, depends on other factors like weight, styling and etc.

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

Big George

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda 3, X5 V8
^ that's what I'm afraid of, that the original $50-$60k real world price tag was given back in 2012 when Toyota gave the green light to make the concept. Earliest production would be 2018. The GT-R and NSX are all above $100k. This car may not be faster than those 2 stock but it's becoming tougher now to see if Toyota will really bring this car to market at $50-$60k range. Realistically I see it more above $65-75k starting. Which for those that can afford it would be a bargain as long as it's worthy. I hope I'm wrong and it ends up closer to the Corvette price.
And the facelifted 2017 GT-R just got bumped up by $8200 to $110k now. If the MKV Supra is gonna be a GT-R / 911 competitor, we're going to see $90-100k price tag I think. If on the other hand it's going to be an M4 level competitor, I could see it staying in the $60k range.

But hopefully at the end of the day @Supraman is right and we see it have Corvette level performance for Corvette prices. That's my hope anyway since I can't afford a 100k car :(
Sponsored

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
That's the thing, as long as it has the performance to match, it can have a higher pricetag. However if it comes with a Z06 price and only base Vette performance, it's not very appealing. Given the shared BMW platform, the car it really has to beat on price is at least the M4 and whatever the BMW counterpart to the Supra is.

GT-R price is pretty shocking. Perhaps they're trying to give them more room to discount further? Last I had seem, they were selling new cars at something like a $20,000 discount. GT-R's performance now just barely justifies its pricetag. If Supra has a GTR price it better be beating the GTR, which is seemingly unfathomable.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Honestly though at this point I don't care what the car is or how much it costs, just that we get something finally and it doesn't turn into an NSX.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^^ That's where the grey area is. No one has seen a Toyota high performance car for a while. So no one knows what to expect or at what price point. I think Toyota already knows their target group. They keep saying this will be a 'fun' car in the lineage of the 2000GT + Supra. So I'm assuming Corvette, M4 competitor and price. I see 1 possibility a V6 that is under tuned + hybrid + sequential gear box. Much like the NSX I see 1 electric motor being used between the engine and transmission (help with turbo lag). Like the NSX but with out the front electric motors to keep it RWD. So a little less tech at a more affordable price with the sharing of a BMW new lightweight platform.

TorqueRules

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus
^^ That's where the grey area is. No one has seen a Toyota high performance car for a while. So no one knows what to expect or at what price point. I think Toyota already knows their target group. They keep saying this will be a 'fun' car in the lineage of the 2000GT + Supra. So I'm assuming Corvette, M4 competitor and price. I see 1 possibility a V6 that is under tuned + hybrid + sequential gear box. Much like the NSX I see 1 electric motor being used between the engine and transmission (help with turbo lag). Like the NSX but with out the front electric motors to keep it RWD. So a little less tech at a more affordable price with the sharing of a BMW new lightweight platform.
I could definitely see both your pricing/segment and drivetrain predictions being close if not spot on. Using an electric motor for filling the dead spot before a turbo spools up would be great, taking a page straight out of the Mclaren P1 blueprint. I also hope they keep the electric motors off the front wheels. It's what helps make the NSX so heavy. I'd love to see the Supra come in 3200 pounds or less (911 GT3 weight territory).

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ Yup I'd be happy with that outcome. As well as providing a non hybrid option for a base entry. This article came out yesterday. No M version of this car from BMW. Which leads me to ask why would BMW not make a high performance version of their car but allow Toyota to use their I6 engine to make a bigger performance car? I think Toyota is building their own engine for this car :thumbsup:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ont-be-an-m-version-of-bmw-toyotas-new-supra/

TorqueRules

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus
This article came out yesterday. No M version of this car from BMW. Which leads me to ask why would BMW not make a high performance version of their car but allow Toyota to use their I6 engine to make a bigger performance car? I think Toyota is building their own engine for this car :thumbsup:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ont-be-an-m-version-of-bmw-toyotas-new-supra/
That reasoning makes a lot of sense. And I hope you're right! For me, the Supra just wouldn't quite be a Supra if it's got another company's engine under the hood.

And I like how all these reports are making it seem like the Z5 will be more a lifestyle car while the Supra will be the true performance sports car to come from this joint venture. Gives me hope that it'll truly be a 911 competitor.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Toyota’s 300kW Supra hybrid targets 911

TOYOTA will switch to hybrid power for its next-generation 86 sports car and upcoming high-performance Supra revival.

The Japanese carmaker is already well advanced in the development of batteries and electric motors for its soon-to-expand sports car range.

Insiders tell Wheels the company is confident it can deliver performance gains and meet stricter emissions standards being phased in across the US and Europe by the end of the decade.

First out of the blocks will be the new Supra, due in 2018. Previewed as the FT-1 Concept at the 2014 Detroit motor show, and later presented in striking grey (pictured below) at Monterey in August the same year, the Supra production car will feature V6 power as well as an optional hybrid drivetrain.

Combined outputs of more than 300kW (400hp+) is anticipated – and needed if the Supra is to meet Toyota product guru Tetsuya Tada’s goal of challenging the Porsche 911.

Wheels’ spies tell us the Supra hybrid system will feature plug-in capability, with up to 50km of driving on electric power alone.

Hybrid sports cars are nothing new: the BMW i8 has shown how far modern plug-in tech can be pushed, while Porsche’s 918 took hybrid performance to the extreme.

But the only affordable hybrid sports car – Honda’s CR-Z – failed to sell, something no doubt weighing on the minds of Japanese engineers keen to ensure the 86’s lightweight, fun-to-drive and affordable philosophy isn’t lost.

Helping the hybrid charge, so to speak, is Toyota’s commitment to deliver a hybrid version of every model in its line-up by 2029.

The advance of battery and charging technology is also making electrified drivetrains more appealing – both to bean-counters and engineers.

Carmakers are finding that hybrid-petrol powertrains are a financially viable way to reach new emissions regulations, including the 95g/km CO2 target for passenger cars in Europe – an average of 3.8L/100km.

Toyota is already well advanced on fuel-saving hybrids – the Prius and its brethren lead the way, while the Camry Hybrid and upcoming Corolla Hybrid back it up.

But a high-performance hybrid is new to a brand often accused of delivering dull transport.

Toyota 86 program manager Tetsuya Tada told Wheels hybrid testing is well advanced, but hinted that any petrol-electric tech would need to be very different to what’s currently seen in Toyota hybrids.

Company boss Akio Toyoda – a keen backer of the 86 and more exciting Toyotas generally – will no doubt keep a keen eye on the project to ensure it lives up to the “waku doki” thinking he is instilling on new models. (Waku doki translates as the anticipation of an adrenaline rush.)

Tada is also keen to ensure the 86 doesn’t meet the same fate as the Celica and MR2.

Tada wouldn’t be drawn on the likely arrival of the next 86, but did point to the example of sports cars such as the Mazda MX-5 enduring with longer model cycles.

That means an all-new 86 might not appear before 2020, some eight years after the original.

“We have lots of ideas, but have just begun to think about the next 86,” he said. “We haven’t yet decided the details ... what kind of engine we will use, or the body styling.”

That said, the well-received styling of the original – considered the best-looking Toyota since the 2000GT – will mean little more than an evolutionary approach for the second-generation 86.

Tada says he is constantly asked by owners “not to change the 86 at all”. An equal number call for performance to be more “vivid”.

“It is easy to put on a turbo, but many 86 fans would not be so pleased. People are very passionate. We want to surprise them.”

A hybrid would certainly do that, especially to younger buyers typically more interested in connectivity and technology over cubic capacity and turbos.
http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/1606/toyota-300kw-supra-hybrid-targets-911/

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Just came across this but Toyota developed a new V6-TT direct injection hybrid for it's TS050 Le mans proto type racer. I could see similar engineering put into the FT-1 sucessor.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/toyota-ts050-hybrid-lmp1-racer-debuts-new-twin-turbo-v6/
If we got a bona-fide version of that V6 in this car, that would be immense.

Also if the rumored hybrid setup bears any semblance to the one in the TS050, then it would make me feel a little better about it. The fact that the LMP car makes half of its power from batteries is still difficult for me to fully fathom.

MotorFF

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TS050's 2.4L 90deg V6 HYBRID - Toyota would be mad from a marketing point of view not to use the same/similar configuration in the new Supra.

Kurt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
376rwhp 1990 MK3 Supra, 2013 Toyota Sienna SE
I'm sure everyone has been reading the articles. ... it won't be a twin turbo 6.
It is confirmed by Toyota to be a v6 hybrid, awd. :-(

supraninja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
I'm sure everyone has been reading the articles. ... it won't be a twin turbo 6.
It is confirmed by Toyota to be a v6 hybrid, awd. :-(
Where did they confirm this? Haven't seen anything..

MotorFF

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Neither have I but let's actually think about this - a twin turbo V6 with a HYBRID - that would easily eclipse 400bhp, yet that 400bhp gets banded around a lot by Toyota. I would not be surprised if it ends up being N/A high revving engine.
Sponsored

Last edited: