New (Unconfirmed) Details and Specifications of US-Spec MKV Supra:

Would you consider a single trim, 350hp, 3300lbs/1500kg luxury A90 Supra at $60k+?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lemetier

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes
Interesting.
That ZF Guideline is very close to final BMW horsepower specifications, so it should be pretty close for the Supra too.
As for using a "regular" B58, that just makes a lot of sense for cost savings, although A70TTR has pointed in a different direction (BMW iron block with a Toyota modified head).
We keep waiting in semi-darkness I guess.
Thatā€™s kinda what has me scratching my head. BMW hasnā€™t had an iron block since 2000ish and the engine plant (also in Steyr, Austria) isnā€™t setup to even make one. Itā€™s tooled to make the modular B series engines, so if this is accurate:

SZ - 4cyl
SZ-R - 6cyl, 3070lbs
RZ - 6 cyl 3350lbs

I could account for 270lbs of weight if it is an S55 or S58 with DCT (which is significantly heavier than the ZF Planetary 8 Speed). At the same time, if the SZ-R is the Z4 M40i equivalent, where did all the weight loss come from?
Sponsored

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Thatā€™s kinda what has me scratching my head. BMW hasnā€™t had an iron block since 2000ish and the engine plant (also in Steyr, Austria) isnā€™t setup to even make one. Itā€™s tooled to make the modular B series engines, so if this is accurate:
Iron block from the M57?

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I know A70 has inferred that the roof and many panels and structural items are composite materials, and hence that even lower COG than the 86.

Isn't there an N/M series diesel iron block still in production?

lemetier

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes
I know A70 has inferred that the roof and many panels and structural items are composite materials, and hence that even lower COG than the 86.

Isn't there an N/M series diesel iron block still in production?
Not that I know of. M57 went aluminum with the TƜ2 update, N57 is aluminum, B series are aluminum with both gas and diesel sharing the same block.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Interesting. Could it be a B series block, but cast with Iron? I realise the cope/drag of the pattern would need to be modified given the differing pour characteristics between materials, and the machine tooling would need revising, but the milling/machining programs would largely be the same...

... but you'd want to revise coolant and oil galleries, given the different thermal properties of each material and the effects that it would have on the cooling systems of each.

Not to mention any adverse affects to weight distribution, which would require vehicle dynamics systems recalibration (ABS, ESC et al.)

Also any effects engine ancillaries, crash ratings....

An iron block really doesn't make sense from a manufacturing perspective, especially given how close production is and how late the change to engine has been....

THAT SAID

We don't know how old the information we're getting is - Maybe A70 is applying a time-based factor of safety to his hints :p

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
Interesting. Could it be a B series block, but cast with Iron? I realise the cope/drag of the pattern would need to be modified given the differing pour characteristics between materials, and the machine tooling would need revising, but the milling/machining programs would largely be the same...

... but you'd want to revise coolant and oil galleries, given the different thermal properties of each material and the effects that it would have on the cooling systems of each.

Not to mention any adverse affects to weight distribution, which would require vehicle dynamics systems recalibration (ABS, ESC et al.)

Also any effects engine ancillaries, crash ratings....
At that point they might as well have started from scratch :dunno:

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
The Supra simply needs the S58 from the up-coming X3/X4 M and sell for 50K. End.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
All I know is.. A70 hinted... you guys wanted a 2JZ.. followed by a Face with all 32 showing. That must mean something..

So.. I really doubt a standard issue B58 to be on the top trim MKV. Maybe in lower trims for the peasants.. but for the enthusiast there will be a better option.

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
I dont care what they call the motor, as long as it's an iron block, makes 400hp+ and tuneable. I'd love a manual, but I'll settle for DCT or some other flappy paddle design, as long as it performs, which it seems it does. Hurry up Goodwood.

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
is the need for an iron block just for heritage?

cause there are some modern aluminum blocks holding some serious power.....latest example is the new aluminum 5 cylinder Audi made....that engine has been on the market for less then a year and is already pushing 750-800hp stock block. As far as BMW goes isn't the new S55 block a pretty stout motor as well? The only main problem I've heard from it is the Crank Hub....no block issues.

Question whether these blocks will hold 1000+ numbers.....well lets be real.....whats the percentage of people that will actually utilize that ability? Or is it more so just being able to say my engine block and withstand these numbers / so its uber reliable?

OP
OP
Guff

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I was told by another source completely unrelated to A70s source to expect an iron block and a well flowing head. This was maybe 3-4 days ago. This source is not an engineer but someone close to Tada-San that had been in and driven the car.

The iron block was still pretty unbelievable for me too but with the latest stuff from A70 and now this, I can't help but be a believer.

greaseman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rx7 FC
I don't fully understand what a flowing head is, but I know that it makes you go faster, and that's a good thing.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.