New (Unconfirmed) Details and Specifications of US-Spec MKV Supra:

Would you consider a single trim, 350hp, 3300lbs/1500kg luxury A90 Supra at $60k+?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
This also contradicts ynguldyn's post about the EU-only 195hp 20i. Not to mention the car is known as A90, and not J29.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
This also contradicts ynguldyn's post about the EU-only 195hp 20i. Not to mention the car is known as A90, and not J29.
For what it's worth, A90 is marketing right now. I don't expect there to be any use of A90 in any official documentation or chassis codes for this vehicle.

Jeff

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I’d like to believe they won’t abandon it but.. I extremely doubt this car even getting a refresh. Everything depends on the success of this initial version.

At 335hp and 60k price tag it’ll find the fanboy sales initially and a year later they’ll start celebrating birthday days at dealer lots shortly after. If they diversify the car and cater to more folks such as.. a stripped down version with most powerful motor , manual in stripped and loaded versions, maybe a Targa .. youll see this car succeed. But one model with different power levels and one trans will limit the audience.
they did a refresh on the GT86 with plenty of changes made especially suspension wise and there are plenty of rumors and hints of another go between Toyota & Subaru so why wouldn't this be likely with the Supra? Toyota appears to be quite happy to let other manufacturers/contractors build the niche sports cars and use up their production lines. I doubt Toyota would be dumb enough to hurt their own brand image by killing off their enthusiast marketed vehicles all over again. Besides the LFA & 2000GT, Toyota rarely kills off their models quickly.

You're still bashing it on the supposed unconfirmed paper specs, it means nothing yet.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
For what it's worth, A90 is marketing right now. I don't expect there to be any use of A90 in any official documentation or chassis codes for this vehicle.

Jeff
But it isn't even recently, they already told us this way back when the GR Supra concept debut at Geneva in March. Also everyone that attended the private event at the Toyota dealer has said the 6 cyl has 350hp (also well as A70TTR), not 335hp.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Maybe that list is just for Europe? :dunno: Remember the North American Z4 comes with 382hp vs the EU spec 335hp.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
But it isn't even recently, they already told us this way back when the GR Supra concept debut at Geneva in March. Also everyone that attended the private event at the Toyota dealer has said the 6 cyl has 350hp (also well as A70TTR), not 335hp.
Even if that's true, yay 15hp bump. :rofl:

lemetier

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes
So to expand more, here’s the G29 Z4 (ZF Transmission Technical Application Guide)

The production dates go back to engineering freeze and the ones with no end date so far are the final production transmissions.

With the J29, there are only 2 models listed (equivalent to the Z4 30i and RoW M40i). That leaves a 3rd that

A: Doesn’t have a ZF transmission
B: BMW is not the applicant for the Emissions Certificate (the older SPX data list - German for Shared Emissions Index)

As to the GT86 reference, thats something for another discussion.

CE21982E-349B-45D4-AC97-BC35ED1C5D94.jpeg

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
With the J29, there are only 2 models listed (equivalent to the Z4 30i and RoW M40i). That leaves a 3rd that

A: Doesn’t have a ZF transmission
B: BMW is not the applicant for the Emissions Certificate (the older SPX data list - German for Shared Emissions Index)
So there is still hope for a manual?

lemetier

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes
4 cyl for a second gen Toyota 86 / BMW Z3? :D
An accidental GT86 MK2 entry or possibly an old reference not deleted. I truly believe from everything I’ve physically seen with my own eyes, the G/J29 mates evolved into different cars than what either company originally wanted to start with.

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
Interesting.
That ZF Guideline is very close to final BMW horsepower specifications, so it should be pretty close for the Supra too.
As for using a "regular" B58, that just makes a lot of sense for cost savings, although A70TTR has pointed in a different direction (BMW iron block with a Toyota modified head).
We keep waiting in semi-darkness I guess.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.