razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I was not surprised to see you chime in on this thread :rofl:
Please don't distract from the topic. If I use 5w30 in the rear CV joints, can I the run 305 tires on the OEM wheels? How about if I also put a bottle of 5w30 GR spec oil in the trunk?
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I just got my 21 back from the dealership for an oil change and the $217 bill about blew me over! He claimed it was due to the "special oil" my car required. I'm just curious where ya'll go for your oil changes and what prices you pay? I just want to make sure I am not being fleeced.
I'll be doing mine on Friday. It was less than $100 for LiquiMoly and will do it on my own. This time just changing oil. I started skipping changing the oil filter to every other year since I only put on about 1k miles a year.. same thing on my STI and Golf-R (max 2K miles per year per car). Just changing oil this year.

nashcarr

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra 3.0 PMT, 95 Miata, 2016 Lexus IS300 awd
I just had my first oil change in my Supra. It was free, but the dealer I go to had $220 as the charge on the receipt. I'll definitely do my own when the freebies are over! This car looks to be quite easy to change the oil.

GR007

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 A91CF, '21 A90 3.0 Prem, '21 Audi RS5, '96 Z3
Ok I just wanted to put my .02 cents worth to all you guys that have cars and want to save $100 at most by not using the dealer. If you do it yourself and not pay that labor premium ( dealer has a record if you do) and your car ever had a problem and you canā€™t document that you used the recommended oil, filter and related components, then Toyota can deny a warranty claim either in our outside of the original factory engine warranty. Not worth risking that to save a $100 bucks every 10k miles on a $60k performance car.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
What oil do you all use? is 5w40 okay? how about 10w0? Do 305 tires fit on oem wheels if I use 5w30 oil?
Please don't distract from the topic. If I use 5w30 in the rear CV joints, can I the run 305 tires on the OEM wheels? How about if I also put a bottle of 5w30 GR spec oil in the trunk?
Yo, WhAt LiP iS tHaT?

exe36m3

First Name
Percy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
Go easy on the guy gentlemen. This is a now era when they don't even have auto shop or teach drivers ed in schools, so all the masses know is to bring the car to the dealer.

The Supra uses the BMW B58 motor. I've got about 20+ years working on BMWs as a hobbyist guy.

So for the oil change you will need:
1. 2 gallon jugs of 0w-20 or 5w or -20/-30/-40 oil. Amazon sells them for around $30 each. Castrol or Mobile 1 are the brands I tend to buy. You'll only end up using 6.5 quarts but you can use the left over 1.5 quarts to top up if needed.
(Personally, I fill 6 quarts first, run the car, measure and fill again. Overfilling means getting under the car to drain excess oil.)

2. Mahle oil filter - The BMW dealer sells these pretty cheap as does Amazon. Around $15-$20. It will also come with a couple replacement rubber o-rings and an oil drain washer.

3. A wrench, I believe it's a 17mm to undo the oil drain plug. About $10-$15 from Home Depot

4. 32mm socket from Amazon, about $10-$12 (edited from... A rubber strap wrench to undo the oil filter cap, about $8-$12. Sorry this was an N55 motor reference.)

5. Oil pan - about $10-15 from Home Depot

6. Funnel - to pour oil into the engine and into the left over oil jugs, about $3-$8 from Home Depot

7. 8/10 gallon bucket - to pour the oil into, about $5-$10 from Home Depot

All in all, about $125 in parts and tools to do it the 1st time. After that, it's about $80 in oil & filters. Job is about 45min to an hour if you take your time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aros

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
Ok I just wanted to put my .02 cents worth to all you guys that have cars and want to save $100 at most by not using the dealer. If you do it yourself and not pay that labor premium ( dealer has a record if you do) and your car ever had a problem and you canā€™t document that you used the recommended oil, filter and related components, then Toyota can deny a warranty claim either in our outside of the original factory engine warranty. Not worth risking that to save a $100 bucks every 10k miles on a $60k performance car.
This was my primary reason to bring it to the dealership. With my luck I would bring it elsewhere or try to do it myself and F it all up and there goes any warranty claim if it ever came down to it.

Vertex

First Name
Vertex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium Supra Matte Storm Gray
Go easy on the guy gentlemen. This is a now era when they don't even have auto shop or teach drivers ed in schools, so all the masses know is to bring the car to the dealer.

The Supra uses the BMW B58 motor. I've got about 20+ years working on BMWs as a hobbyist guy.

So for the oil change you will need:
1. 2 gallon jugs of 0w-20 or 5w or -20/-30/-40 oil. Amazon sells them for around $30 each. Castrol or Mobile 1 are the brands I tend to buy. You'll only end up using 6.5 quarts but you can use the left over 1.5 quarts to top up if needed.
2. Mahle oil filter - The BMW dealer sells these pretty cheap as does Amazon. Around $15-$20. It will also come with a couple replacement rubber o-rings and an oil drain washer.
3. A wrench, I believe it's a 17mm to undo the oil drain plug. About $10-$15 from Home Depot
4. A rubber strap wrench to undo the oil filter cap, about $8-$12.
5. Oil pan - about $10-15 from Home Depot
6. Funnel - to pour oil into the engine and into the left over oil jugs, about $3-$8 from Home Depot
7. 8/10 gallon bucket - to pour the oil into, about $5-$10 from Home Depot

All in all, about $125 in parts and tools to do it the 1st time. After that, it's about $80 in oil & filters. Job is about 45min to an hour if you take your time.
The car takes 6.9 quarts to be completely topped off.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-oil-change-kit-5w-30-liqui-moly-11428583898-lm

This is the kit I got, went with 5w-30 and has everything you need except the wrenches for the drain plug and filter housing.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
This was my primary reason to bring it to the dealership. With my luck I would bring it elsewhere or try to do it myself and F it all up and there goes any warranty claim if it ever came down to it.
There are these things called receiptsā€¦.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
There are these things called receiptsā€¦.
Also, doing it yourself is more about knowing it was done correctly and not wasting half a day (or more) fooling with something that can be done in your own garage in 20 minutes. The money saved is just a bonus.

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
post the itemized receipt. hard to say what was expensive without seeing that info.

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
i would not recommend doing the oil change yourself if you've never done one before. 50k car is an expensive lesson to learn if you mess it up.
Sponsored