Oil Change Prices

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
You can debate the merits of money saved vs dealership warranty.... but if you do NOT know how to change your own oil, well... would not be impressed with you as a car guy/gal.

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
Go easy on the guy gentlemen. This is a now era when they don't even have auto shop or teach drivers ed in schools, so all the masses know is to bring the car to the dealer.

The Supra uses the BMW B58 motor. I've got about 20+ years working on BMWs as a hobbyist guy.

So for the oil change you will need:
1. 2 gallon jugs of 0w-20 or 5w or -20/-30/-40 oil. Amazon sells them for around $30 each. Castrol or Mobile 1 are the brands I tend to buy. You'll only end up using 6.5 quarts but you can use the left over 1.5 quarts to top up if needed.
2. Mahle oil filter - The BMW dealer sells these pretty cheap as does Amazon. Around $15-$20. It will also come with a couple replacement rubber o-rings and an oil drain washer.
3. A wrench, I believe it's a 17mm to undo the oil drain plug. About $10-$15 from Home Depot
4. A rubber strap wrench to undo the oil filter cap, about $8-$12.
5. Oil pan - about $10-15 from Home Depot
6. Funnel - to pour oil into the engine and into the left over oil jugs, about $3-$8 from Home Depot
7. 8/10 gallon bucket - to pour the oil into, about $5-$10 from Home Depot

All in all, about $125 in parts and tools to do it the 1st time. After that, it's about $80 in oil & filters. Job is about 45min to an hour if you take your time.
How about the big socket for removing the oil filter?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Ok I just wanted to put my .02 cents worth to all you guys that have cars and want to save $100 at most by not using the dealer. If you do it yourself and not pay that labor premium ( dealer has a record if you do) and your car ever had a problem and you canā€™t document that you used the recommended oil, filter and related components, then Toyota can deny a warranty claim either in our outside of the original factory engine warranty. Not worth risking that to save a $100 bucks every 10k miles on a $60k performance car.
Nonsense. If a filter "fails" nothing happens. It just stops filtering. Oil is oil. It does what it supposed to. Only way it fails is if you don't change it in time, or let it run out the car.

This was my primary reason to bring it to the dealership. With my luck I would bring it elsewhere or try to do it myself and F it all up and there goes any warranty claim if it ever came down to it.
If you can tie your own shoe laces, you're qualified to change the oil on this car.

BrodoFratgins

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 MKV Supra MT
Ok I just wanted to put my .02 cents worth to all you guys that have cars and want to save $100 at most by not using the dealer. If you do it yourself and not pay that labor premium ( dealer has a record if you do) and your car ever had a problem and you canā€™t document that you used the recommended oil, filter and related components, then Toyota can deny a warranty claim either in our outside of the original factory engine warranty. Not worth risking that to save a $100 bucks every 10k miles on a $60k performance car.
Yeah pass. I'll save the $100+ and peace of mind of not letting the grifters that work at my local dealer touch my car again.

As long as you have the proper documentation of what you did, you're fine. People changing their own oil isn't a new thing.

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
[/QUOTE]
He's using a strap, which would be difficult on the Supra.

Last edited:

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
He's using a strap, which would be difficult on the Supra.
[/QUOTE]
I have 4 or 5 types of oil filter wrenches but no giant sockets. I'll have to buy one in a couple of years.

exe36m3

First Name
Percy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
Thanks guys, fixed my parts post, channeling my N55 motor says referring to the strap wrench!

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
My factory crush washer was stuck on the pan pretty good and for a second, looked like it was part of the pan. :crazy: This was 3 yrs ago.
Sponsored