Bluemkv

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 91 Wrangler 4.0
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys. Been running into an issue when I'm doing WOT pulls past 4th gear. Seems to happen shortly after shifting to 5th gear, car loses power, starts backfiring, and if I don't let off the throttle it goes into limp mode with a drivetrain error, car drives like shit until turned off and back on. I got a log of this happening and sent it to my tuner, but in the mean time I wanted to see if others here have encountered this issue and what the issue ended up being.

My car is stock turbo, e50 tuned on Ecutek. Pure stage 1 trans, exhaust, downpipe.

Here is the log if anyone can tell anything by that.

Here are the codes that were thrown after the drivetrain error.

IMG_0259.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
Plugs?

OP
OP
Bluemkv

Bluemkv

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I definitely have had the thought that it could be plugs, however I would think the issue would be prominent in more than one gear as well as on idle if it were plugs?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
HPFP maxed out.

HPFP angle is maxed at 126* in the log.

Fill limit is #3 in the log, HPFP flow limit limitation.

Too much boost for ethanol level.

OP
OP
Bluemkv

Bluemkv

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
HPFP maxed out.

HPFP angle is maxed at 126* in the log.

Fill limit is #3 in the log, HPFP flow limit limitation.

Too much boost for ethanol level.
Oh wow okay, thank you for the info. So is this something that could be fixed within tuning or no?

OP
OP
Bluemkv

Bluemkv

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Bluemkv

Bluemkv

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase

SavagePassenger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 WRX
Found this because I've just encountered a similar thing. Same mods as you OP with flex fuel kit, minus the Pure trans. I've had it happen after going into 3rd at WOT , and once in 4th gear. Ethanol content was at 49% and 51% the times it's happened. Basically it seems to cut power and then do some exhaust backfiring. I was still able to resume driving/ shift normally afterwards.

I'm not getting any DTCs however and no error messages from in car system. Went ahead and emailed my tuner but was wondering if anyone had suggestions. Seems weird since I've had the tune for 6 months and never encountered this running anywhere from ~e15 - e50 (highest i've had after mixing was 52% E).

OP
OP
Bluemkv

Bluemkv

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Found this because I've just encountered a similar thing. Same mods as you OP with flex fuel kit, minus the Pure trans. I've had it happen after going into 3rd at WOT , and once in 4th gear. Ethanol content was at 49% and 51% the times it's happened. Basically it seems to cut power and then do some exhaust backfiring. I was still able to resume driving/ shift normally afterwards.

I'm not getting any DTCs however and no error messages from in car system. Went ahead and emailed my tuner but was wondering if anyone had suggestions. Seems weird since I've had the tune for 6 months and never encountered this running anywhere from ~e15 - e50 (highest i've had after mixing was 52% E).
So mine did it multiple times the same as yours with no codes or drivetrain errors or anything. The only time it will throw codes and give the drivetrain error warning is if I stay on the throttle when it starts backfiring and cutting power. If I let off when it starts doing all that, it’s the same as you said where it drives and shifts fine afterwards.

SavagePassenger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 WRX
So mine did it multiple times the same as yours with no codes or drivetrain errors or anything. The only time it will throw codes and give the drivetrain error warning is if I stay on the throttle when it starts backfiring and cutting power. If I let off when it starts doing all that, it’s the same as you said where it drives and shifts fine afterwards.
Ok interesting. I'll have to see if it happens again after refueling. It's strange that I haven't run into this before at all since being tuned so wasn't sure if it would be something like bad fuel, spark plugs going bad, or something like that. If it was a tune issue you'd think I would have run into it before since I've been at ~e50 many times.

SavagePassenger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 WRX
Just an update- I heard back from my tuner and they said it was most likely due to cold weather.

I didn't realize that could have an effect, but he said e50 maxes out the fuel system in 70 degree weather and getting colder down to 60 and lower can experience cuts unless the tune is turned down. Following his advise I'm going to try running e45 when it's 70 degrees or below or e40 when colder. Makes more sense why I didn't have this happen until now in the winter (Florida winter lol)
Sponsored