PSA: Are you about to buy a new turbo? You should wait.

stormgreysupra

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oemplusmods.com
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra A90 Edition
This looks like a really good deal, even for not crazy numbers, i would be temped to do this instead of a pure just to make around 600 wheel, 620 wheel tq, hopefully on 93, that is the max I would feel safe on the stock tranny with, but pricing is impressive forsure.
they said that they are expecting this turbo to make close to 600whp on 93 only. That would also be my goal ideally
Sponsored

stormgreysupra

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oemplusmods.com
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra A90 Edition
Are you working on commission? ?
I've been following these guys and it looks like a promising kit however I'd wait and see dyno numbers if your wanting 900-1,000whp.. I have a BW 74mm compressor and it will realistically only make 1,000whp. Keep in mind the most efficient 65mm's on the market will only flow 90 maybe 95 lbs/min.
I would hands down do something like this over the competition though!
I heard it will make around 800whp which sounds way more realistic to me.

OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
The turbo can make >800WHP if you calculate the size and airflow on the compressor map.

But the Supra itself is limited to ~600 WHP unless you make upgrades to the fuel system, e.g. LPFP upgrade, port injection, etc.

What they're saying is:

"This turbo can max out the stock fuel system, that's around 600 HP."

"If you're running piggyback MPI, the turbo is good for 800-900 HP."

Different use cases with different requirements.

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
The turbo can make >800WHP if you calculate the size and airflow on the compressor map.

But the Supra itself is limited to ~600 WHP unless you make upgrades to the fuel system, e.g. LPFP upgrade, port injection, etc.

What they're saying is:

Is that with the 65 Omega or 62?

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0

What they're saying is:

This breaks it down well. What’s about the pure 800? Same sort of power on the same fuel?

OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Is that with the 65 Omega or 62?
All of my statements are based on the 65 Omega kit being prepped for the Supra. I believe the 62 was just a test mule.

This breaks it down well. What’s about the pure 800? Same sort of power on the same fuel?
Pure's limits are much lower. It doesn't even reach 700WHP with race gas fuel octane and meth injection. The Remnant kit can do over 800 on 93 octane alone if you have the fuel capacity to keep going (port injection). Because of the larger turbo size and significantly better materials than the stock or Pure turbos, Remnant can reach higher power at lower boost levels, which reduces heat and improves reliability.

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
This exactly. It kills my soul know I don't really have a comfortable place to get this kinda thing done. I was on cloud 9 when I did my intake, charge pipe, heat shield, strut tower bar, and cute little reservoir covers because I could eeeeasily do it parked in my apartment parking space ?

Did all of that in like an hour and a half and then was like... Damnit... It's over? ?

?
There's not really all that much more to changing the turbo. Make a friend with a driveway or find a place that rents a shop bay if need be. Like 90% of it is from the top.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
All of my statements are based on the 65 Omega kit being prepped for the Supra. I believe the 62 was just a test mule.

Pure's limits are much lower. It doesn't even reach 700WHP with race gas fuel octane and meth injection. The Remnant kit can do over 800 on 93 octane alone if you have the fuel capacity to keep going (port injection). Because of the larger turbo size and significantly better materials than the stock or Pure turbos, Remnant can reach higher power at lower boost levels, which reduces heat and improves reliability.
I feel that You may want to kinda relax with the claims until it's done so there aren't any issues later on. So you're saying here, that what I assuming is a 65mm turbo with make over 800whp on 93oct pump gas and nothing else? Are you quoting 800whp or 800bhp (crank)

Mind you on a small 3.0L with high compression that is not forgiving with high cylinder pressure and low octane.

With proper octane, sure a 64-65mm turbo can make 800whp fairly easily. But pump 93oct and high compression on 3.0L I don't see it.

I'll all but say 800whp will not happen safely on 93oct if at all with this spec'd turbo due to knock limits.

OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I feel that You may want to kinda relax with the claims until it's done so there aren't any issues later on. So you're saying here, that what I assuming is a 65mm turbo with make over 800whp on 93oct pump gas and nothing else? Are you quoting 800whp or 800bhp (crank)

Mind you on a small 3.0L with high compression that is not forgiving with high cylinder pressure and low octane.

With proper octane, sure a 64-65mm turbo can make 800whp fairly easily. But pump 93oct and high compression on 3.0L I don't see it.

I'll all but say 800whp will not happen safely on 93oct if at all with this spec'd turbo due to knock limits.
I'm not claiming anything. Just running the numbers based on the provided info. I don't own one of these turbos, don't work for RP, and have no skin in the game except I'm ready to be a customer and I bought one of their kits for another car and am happy with it. Just pointing out that the A/R, diameter, and compressor map supports ~830ish.

You're right, it won't do that with 93 and I misspoke. :) I'll leave the post for posterity. But what I should have said is: max effort with very high octane and/or meth, Pure still tops out around 700. With much less stringent fueling requirements, the RP kit should flow over 800. The dynos will prove the rest.

//disclaimer: I'm generally anti-meth injection, so any setup that helps me avoid is is a big plus in my book.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
I'm not claiming anything. Just running the numbers based on the provided info. I don't own one of these turbos, don't work for RP, and have no skin in the game except I'm ready to be a customer and I bought one of their kits for another car and am happy with it. Just pointing out that the A/R, diameter, and compressor map supports ~830ish.

You're right, it won't do that with 93 and I misspoke. :) I'll leave the post for posterity. But what I should have said is: max effort with very high octane and/or meth, Pure still tops out around 700. With much less stringent fueling requirements, the RP kit should flow over 800. The dynos will prove the rest.

//disclaimer: I'm generally anti-meth injection, so any setup that helps me avoid is is a big plus in my book.
ok, see "max effort with octane" makes sense and i will agree that the flow should be there for a 64-65mm turbo.

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Question is can I use my existing aftermarket intake (e.g. Eventuri, HKS, etc).

OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Question is can I use my existing aftermarket intake (e.g. Eventuri, HKS, etc).
Likely not. The turbo mounts in the stock location for downpipe compatibility, but the inlet to the turbo is MUCH larger than stock and in a slightly different location (forward towards the bumper). Most intakes won't even fit on the 65mm turbo because they're too small. Even if you could fit the intake, all the intakes are sized for the tiny inlet of the stock turbo and the small diameter intake would choke out the airflow of the turbo.

But I guess we'll see.
Sponsored